Make a donation

Author Topic: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses! Problem solved!  (Read 17090 times)

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses! Problem solved!
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »
Evening all

Had the first MOT done at my local dealer today and gutted to find out it failed!  :sad1:

Reason for the failure was listed as the 'front brake hoses insecurely mounted', turns out that the HEL hoses i had fitted as part of my front S3 brake kit dont appear to have the correct clips or fittings to locate securely on the body mounted clip at the end of the hose?
The area thats the problem is the connection from the rigid hose coming out of the inner arch to the flexi hose, seems the oem hose has a clip or shaped hose fitting to allow it to be firmly held in place at this connection whereas the HEL ones dont?
Disappointingly my usually trusted installer failed to mention that there was a problem with the hoses when fitting them and secured it with cable ties! This has brought about the MOT failure due to the lines being able to move around to some degree and also raises the issue of flexing on the rigid pipe which is potentially a concern regarding fatigue on this part too...

So my question is what has everyone else done to overcome this problem when fitting braided hoses? My options are limited to trying some different hoses or buying some oem lines to get through the MOT but want to try and avoid having to mess about with a system that is working great apart from this issue...

Dealer has mentioned buying and fitting some oem hoses and will do me a reduced price on the swap over and bleeding etc to get within the 10 day retest timeframe but even that will cost £60 plus the parts  :sad1:

Help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:47:52 pm by Beddie »

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:24:51 pm »
get it MOT'd somewhere else

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:35:30 pm »
GTI going...

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »
get it MOT'd somewhere else

+1

To be honest that was my first thought, only trouble is that the hose is quite obviously insecure so would most likely result in another fail and being out of pocket for another test fee and no further on?  :sick:

Anyone else with HEL hoses, how are yours fixed?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:48 pm »
I agree, if you go somewhere else you'll need to pay another fee and may fail again.  I suspect the cable tie draws attention.

Probably best to go with the £60 option to cover the MOT and then maybe discuss with the braided hose supplier as maybe they aren't the correct ones for the car.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:34:36 pm »
i would get it through its test with them and take the issue up with HEL or fit different braided hoses that have the clip

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:06 pm »
2 Cable ties. 

It really is as simple as that, I have seen this problem time and time again with modded cars and our MOT tester always fails them, as long as the cable tie holds the metal part of the union of the 2 sections of pipe securely in the bracket they cant fail it.

Wrap a cable tie from either side through the bracket in a figure of 8 pattern.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses!! Anyone else with HEL hoses?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:16:39 am »
Cable ties as PDT says, or if its the problem Im thinking ok, then there are OEM clips that will work to secure the line.  If you look at the rear lines there is a black spring clip.  Just buy a pair of them.

www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 12:03:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the ideas fellas!  :happy2:

Had the car up and had a good look at the lines and even though they were only on with 1 cable tie they were pretty secure imo, but to be sure i've gone for 2 ties in a figure of 8 style and they are rock solid now!

Did notice something whilst doing it though which has me a little worried, 1 of the lines has started to crack on the outer sheath, should i be worried? lol  :scared:

Before

After

Cracks on the brake lines?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »
Thats exactly how I have done it in the past, never failed.

Those cracks are cosmetic.

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:26:24 pm »
Mine failed on the porsche kit on my mk4 off DaveB for the same reason. The MOT tester just cable tied them and passed them :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e3kjj4hktt5dg48or0a234fo00&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »
Beddie... To secure the hose to that mount you should have a brass clip/spring. That goes onto the HEL hose first before you screw it up to that bracket! Kind of acts like a spring to pull the cable down into the mount!

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »
Beddie... To secure the hose to that mount you should have a brass clip/spring. That goes onto the HEL hose first before you screw it up to that bracket! Kind of acts like a spring to pull the cable down into the mount!
Hmmmm.... There was nothing like that in the kit when i got it? Just the hoses in the box and a little bag with the copper washers in?  :sad1:

Going to try another MOT place which is mod-friendly (i hope lol) as i really dont want to have to put oem hoses back on for performance reasons regardless of the extra cost and messing around involved to boot!

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 02:26:31 pm »
Why don't you take it for the free retest first and if they fail it again (don't see why they would now), go to another mot test station?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:14 pm »
Are they secured to the strut as well?  There would be clip etc on there for OEM hoses.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available