Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel Cleaning Advice  (Read 3964 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Wheel Cleaning Advice
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:27:33 pm »
I'm after some advice
   On my black Gti I have Monza II's that have been powder coated silver.  What is the best way/products from getting my wheels clean and then keeping them that way so they only need a quick clean.  I don't have time to do them every week due to having a young family yet I hate seeing them dirty so I don't mind spending some time getting them clean in the first place if it means I dont have to spend a long time keeping on top of them.

Cheers

Andy   :happy2:

Offline Refinedvaleting

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Wheel Cleaning Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »
Andy,, id suggest powerwashing them while on the car give them a scrub with a wheel brush.. easily available from halfords, rinse off again then take wheel at a time and powerhose inside. you can get products from autosmart cheap enough like tardis or in extreme cases they do one called fallout u might want to look at one thing i woud say if you goto the likes of autosmart or autobrite ensure you get acid free wheel cleaner .. the most popular wheel cleaner i find is billberry wheel cleaner, its a simple spray on scrub around and rinse off.  once fully clean the best wheel wax in my opinion is swissvax autobahn but i have heard of people having good results from hard collinite waxes.. once the wheels are cleaned thoroughly you will probably want to clay them then rinse them again to ensure free of contaminants before waxing..

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:10 pm »
I'd always recommend taking the wheels off (one at a time if needs be). Makes life a lot easier. As above, rinse. Clean with a non-acidic wheel cleaner (personally love Bilberry). Depending on how dirty they are, I'd consider claying them. Otherwise seal them up. On my 18" monza II shadows, I used two layers of Poorboys wheel sealant - has a consistency like mousse so makes it easier to apply. Followed this up with several layers of Collinite 476s wax.

TBH the wax is overkill - a couple of sealants of your choice and any dirt will wash off with a pressure washer.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:07 pm »
I'd always recommend taking the wheels off (one at a time if needs be). Makes life a lot easier. As above, rinse. Clean with a non-acidic wheel cleaner (personally love Bilberry). Depending on how dirty they are, I'd consider claying them. Otherwise seal them up. On my 18" monza II shadows, I used two layers of Poorboys wheel sealant - has a consistency like mousse so makes it easier to apply. Followed this up with several layers of Collinite 476s wax.

TBH the wax is overkill - a couple of sealants of your choice and any dirt will wash off with a pressure washer.

You dont need to take a Monza off a car to clean it. It has to be the easiest wheel in the world to clean. If you wash them once a week which takes about 4 minutes then all you need is soap and water.  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:17 pm »
I still like to take'em off to coat them in wheel sealant.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:52:24 pm »
Andy,, id suggest powerwashing them while on the car give them a scrub with a wheel brush.. easily available from halfords, rinse off again then take wheel at a time and powerhose inside. you can get products from autosmart cheap enough like tardis or in extreme cases they do one called fallout u might want to look at one thing i woud say if you goto the likes of autosmart or autobrite ensure you get acid free wheel cleaner .. the most popular wheel cleaner i find is billberry wheel cleaner, its a simple spray on scrub around and rinse off.  once fully clean the best wheel wax in my opinion is swissvax autobahn but i have heard of people having good results from hard collinite waxes.. once the wheels are cleaned thoroughly you will probably want to clay them then rinse them again to ensure free of contaminants before waxing..

Fall out remover is lethal mate! And Tardis isn't a wheel cleaner.

I'd recommend pretty much what stealth wolf and top cat said. Take them off if you have time. If not, then im sure you'll manage with it being a monza wheel ;)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:59 am »
Cheers for all the advice fellas  :happy2:

I agree the Monza's are an easy wheel to clean just wanted to take some time to get them spot on and make it easier for future cleans.

Where is the best place to buy the bilberry, poorboys and collinite?

Andy

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:45 am »
I tend to get my stuff from Elite Car Care but fellow forumite Keith has the Wash Shop and Autoperfection is also used by forum members.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:12:55 am »
I'm a big fan of cleanyourcar.co.uk. They're local to me and the customer service is spot on.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

:happy2:

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:56 am »
Do forum members get any discounts from those places?

Cheers

Andy

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:05 am »
Sometimes maybe mate. But they hardly make a margin as it is lol

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:14 am »
Thanks again for all the advice!!    :notworthy:

I'll card the card out and get cleaning!

Andy   :happy2:

Offline Refinedvaleting

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:52 am »
Jay. never used fallout or tardis just heard a few people use it diluted down so thought it might have been a good option due to everyone having an autosmart dealer near enuff. billberry is good used with the small pump bottles as it foams on the wheels, thats all i use to be honest,

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
Dilute Tardis  :confused: ?? Its a solvent based product, designed to be used neat. It will just seperate with water.

PM for details

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:01 pm »
Cheers for all the advice fellas  :happy2:

I agree the Monza's are an easy wheel to clean just wanted to take some time to get them spot on and make it easier for future cleans.

Where is the best place to buy the bilberry, poorboys and collinite?

Andy

Keith on here, Washshop www.washshop.co.uk also you get a discount fgor being a member on here  :happy2: Top guy.

PM for details