Make a donation

Author Topic: Valeo LED Mk5 Tail Lights Modification....  (Read 123072 times)

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Valeo LED Mk5 Tail Lights Modification....
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2011, 07:38:56 pm »
Its the depth of the inners, they are much shallower than the outers.

In the outers the LED rings are deep in the body of the light itself surrounded by a mirror like reflector.

Which leds will be used? as clip on lens diffusers can be bought for most smd leds
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline golfman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:28 pm »
Subscribed  :popcornsoda:

scott :happy2:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »
Just to let interested folks know that cmdrfire is beavering away at this between flights to the moon. It takes time to do all this properly and he/we will report in due course  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline golfman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2011, 10:58:17 pm »
Guys i don't know if this has already been discussed on here but i got this info from an american site and wondered if its been done?

Wiring

The European wiring harness has 4 wires (Turn, Brake, Parking, Return/Common) running from the central electronics control module (J519) to each of the taillights. The US wiring harness only has 3 wires (Turn, Brake, Return/Common). To get the LED's to function properly, you need to provide a signal to the 4th pin. I know of two ways to do this. One results in a "bulb out" message on the MFD and the other (adding a 4th wire) does not. I'll cover both below:

The pin configurations at the taillights are:
Stock Left (Driver's side)

1. Not used

2. Black/white (turn signal)

3. Black/red (brake light)

4. Brown (common/return)

Stock Right (Passenger side)

1. Brown (common/return)

2. Black/purple (brake light)

3. Black/green (turn signal)

4. Not used

The wires need to be moved in the connector using the method described in the Jetta LED DIY instructions (Thanks to those who wrote the Jetta DIY  )

LED Left (Driver's side)

1. Black/white (turn signal)

2. Black/red (brake light)

3. New Wire (Parking light)

4. Brown (common/return)

LED Right (Passenger side)

1. Brown (common/return)

2. New Wire (Parking light)

3. Black/purple (brake light)

4. Black/green (turn signal)

The new wire should be VW part 000 979 141 (I have been told that wire 000 979 151 works better, but I have not verified this). This VW wire has a connector on each end. This allows you to cut the wire in half to have a pigtail for each side.

The two new wires need a signal to activate the parking lights. The first choice is to splice wires 2 and 3 together as shown in the R32 taillight DIY. The lights will work just fine if you do this (after VAG-Com changes), but you will have an error message in the MFD that you won't be able to clear.

The second method is to run two new wires, one to each side, from the central electronics controller (J519) to the taillights. To do this, you need access to the central electronics controller. I found the Jetta rear foglight DIY to have better instructions than my Bentley manual. To connect the wires to the central electronics controller, you will need VW part 000 979 025. This wire works just like the one for the taillights. Cut this wire in half and install the wire for the left (Driver's) side to connector C, terminal 10. Install the wire for the right (passenger's) side to connector B, terminal 9. You must then run wires from these pigtails to the pigtails in the back. One suggestion for routing the wires is to read the GTI sub DIY for routing ideas. I used the instructions in my Bentley manual for removing the trim, as I thought they were a little better.

VAG-Com Instructions

Once you have connected wires to all four pins and reinstalled the connectors into the taillight housing you are ready to recode your central electronics module. This coding appears all over the Jetta LED threads, so I don't know who to credit for this information. Using a VAG-Com, you need to make the following changes to the Central Electronics Module (09).

Change Bytes 9 through 13 from 14 00 00 00 14 to 0A 00 00 0F 00

Change Byte 18 by unchecking the cold diagnostic bits 1, 3 and 5

Change Byte 19 by unchecking the cold diagnostics bits 2 and 3

cheers

I Hate Timewasters...

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:33 am »
Scott,

That doesnt apply to our cars as we already have 4 wires. All the Americans needed to do this because they only have 3 wires, they dont have the indicator wire.

The LED rears only came in Euro spec so to get the indicator function working they had to do what you have described.

The LED tails in UK cars are plug and play. (Apart from the fog/reverse swap)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:37:32 am by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline golfman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2011, 10:30:47 am »
Scott,

That doesnt apply to our cars as we already have 4 wires. All the Americans needed to do this because they only have 3 wires, they dont have the indicator wire.

The LED rears only came in UK/Euro spec so to get the indicator function working they had to do what you have described.

The LED tails in UK cars are plug and play.

No probs lee i just didn't read it properly :stupid:

I Hate Timewasters...

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2011, 10:36:09 am »
No problem mate  :happy2:

As said in my PM unless/until they are modded you can only really turn off the tailight function of the centre part of the main tailight giving you a 'ring'.

Before coding

After coding

Obviously those pictures are with the inners modded but you get the idea.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline golfman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2011, 10:42:18 am »
Looks  8)
im still in the process of trying to get the missus to say ok :signLOL:
if i do i will be buying from here
http://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tuning-styling-vw-golf-5-v-led-rear-lights-set-candy-red-for-vw-golf-5-v.htm

scott

I Hate Timewasters...

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2011, 10:46:34 am »
............... :love:

She'll come around!

That's were most people have got them from mate  :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2011, 01:30:51 pm »
OK, very quick update, I'm in communication with Rob's man Chris, getting some info on him on the voltage levels, but he's sent me some diagrams which will be useful for the layout side. I think in a short while I'll be able to start laying out the schematics and PCBs, so some movement now  :happy2:

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2011, 06:12:08 pm »
Cool, my phone is due for upgrade on 16th april, day before my 30th so will be selling my old iphone to mazuuma and using the money to buy myself some lights as a present to myself. would be cool to get them modded before fitting rather than having to swap out the inners at a later date, any idea on timescale till the inner leds will be ready?
cheers
James
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2011, 07:01:51 pm »
Nope. It'll be done when it's done, sorry...

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »
 :happy2:   :popcornsoda:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »
Hey guys....

Recently bought another set of these lights a) because i mucked up the fog/reverse swap and binned the inner parts and b) the driver side outer unit lost a set of 4 leds on the side lights....anyway decided to give it a go removing the red outer part from the black body to allow you to get the inner reflective circle out, to cut a long story short i put a very small crack in the plastic on the left hand one ( hope this does not effect the MOT ).

I have decided to tell you all this as i believe this is a really great mod but is so easy to write off 280 quids worth of lights well the inner sections anyway, i did for a while have new outers old inners and liked it, but the whole set looks best. As you all know you cannot buy these bits separately like you can annoyingly on every other VW with them....so please bear in mind there so easy to crack ( yes i was being so so care full with plastic wedges not screwdrivers) there a great set of lights on there own, just be mindful that if you break the plastic there is nothing you can do!!

Si
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:40:10 pm by SI-R32 »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2011, 06:07:18 pm »