Make a donation

Author Topic: Leon FR TDI  (Read 1206 times)

Nick S

Leon FR TDI
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »
Went to a Seat main dealer today to have a look at an 06 Leon FR TDI it had 56k on it.

First thing it had some dents and scratches on it which made me think a bit.  Anyway got the keys and fired it up.  Bulb warning light came on, then coolant warning.  Christ I forgot how noisy diesels are.

Still I persisted, took it for a spin now I had in my head it was going to be really slow but I wasn't prepared for what was going to come.   Now this is a 170bhp with 260lbf of torque iirc,  it felt really sluggish it was droning like mad as well either a wheel bearing or the crappy falken tyres were super noisy.

Got it to the motorway with Avg 27mpg, I said this doesn't feel right I'd get this out of the GTI (I'd driven pretty steady) he said it would go up on the motorway
So got on the mway and got it up to speed more droning, tried the old top gear pull from 65 ish,  it was reall ysluggish!  I kept thinking I don't recall any diesel I've had being this bad thats what they did best
Got up to a nice cruising speed and the steering wheel was shaking like mad.  Got off the motorway and headed back to the garage and he asks what I thought.

I said there is no way I'll be buying this car even if you fix everything I've noticed, it's f&cked and it goes like crap plus we have done 34 mpg which To be honest on a steady drive like that I'd be disappointed to see less than 30mpg out of the GTI.
He said we've just got it in so it's not been prepared, the photos of it have it sat on a snowy forecourt.  I can't believe they would let a customer drive a car that had blackpool illuminations on the dash.

Anyone on here particularly the oilburner owners care to comment should it feel that bad?  Do I look at another one or do I just stick with what I've got which is costing me a fortune in juice?

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Leon FR TDI
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:32:48 pm »
Try another one

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:40:46 pm »
That does not sound right you need to drive something else with that engine in it to compare.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
Yeah that sounds shagged to me!!!

the 170bhp Tdi is a quick car and shoulp average 40+ quite easily!

Nick S

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:07:13 pm »
Cheers for that I shall keep an eye open then they said they would find me another but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
from a oil burner owner i would be loooking as that is a bad example

psw mk5

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »
Ditto to that the 170 is a quick car I can spin in 3rd if dpf light exhaust light on .. Walk away but won't take much to put right ... But go with your gut feeling.. Plus scratches dents etc means last person didn't care ... Smile and wave boy smile and wave -- and walk away  :wink: :P

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:51 am »
Ive test drove a few cars recently and they always say "Its just come in, we havn't had time to prep it yet!" Why put off potential buyers for the sake of a couple of hours in the workshop?!

Bit of a shameless plug but I'll be selling my MK5 GT TDI in the next few weeks, 58k and a few extras. PM me if your interested :happy2:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........