Make a donation

Author Topic: Kerbing alloys  (Read 6621 times)

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: Kerbing alloys
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »
I have had my GTI Pirelli edition for just over a month now and already three of the wheels are kerbed. Two are tiny little scuffs that aren't so bad but one is TERRIBLE. I am responsible for two but my old man did the third.

With these 18 inchers, p-zero tyres, there is simply no room for error at all - touch the kerb and they're f*cked. I told my dad this and yet he insisted on trying to use the tyre to lightly 'feel' the edge of the kerb and buggered it.

Again, on mine, there is simply no leeway at all for miscalculation and extremely tight, lightly touching the kerb, parking.

I just always make sure I dip the mirror (wish I had lux pack) and leave at least an inch. Sometimes I stick out but I can't take the risk. Gonna get the wheels refurbed as soon as I've learnt how to park without ever touching the kerb (used to have a car that you could squish the tyre right up against it and it still didn't mark the wheel).
I got a set of replacement Pirelli wheels quoted at the main dealers last week....£500 each! :surprised:

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 02:56:35 pm »
I have had my GTI Pirelli edition for just over a month now and already three of the wheels are kerbed. Two are tiny little scuffs that aren't so bad but one is TERRIBLE. I am responsible for two but my old man did the third.

With these 18 inchers, p-zero tyres, there is simply no room for error at all - touch the kerb and they're f*cked. I told my dad this and yet he insisted on trying to use the tyre to lightly 'feel' the edge of the kerb and buggered it.

Again, on mine, there is simply no leeway at all for miscalculation and extremely tight, lightly touching the kerb, parking.

I just always make sure I dip the mirror (wish I had lux pack) and leave at least an inch. Sometimes I stick out but I can't take the risk. Gonna get the wheels refurbed as soon as I've learnt how to park without ever touching the kerb (used to have a car that you could squish the tyre right up against it and it still didn't mark the wheel).
I got a set of replacement Pirelli wheels quoted at the main dealers last week....£500 each! :surprised:

Bloody hell... Think I'm gonna try that yellow alloygator on mine.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »
fair play there mate.... had a few hairy moments on the local mutli storey car park....
..........same here,avoid them now at all cost.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 04:42:49 pm »
I’ve had my GTI for 5 weeks now and have already kerbed the alloys 3-4 times. The first time was so painfull but got better with each kerbing :laugh:

But also got a couple of marks on the alloys when I didn’t even realise I had kerbed them  :surprised:

These gator protectors sound decent.

Anyone got some pics of them on 18" Monza II's? And do they actually work?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦