7 (8.5%)
Tried it, but dont have DSG- Love it IT
11 (13.4%)
Wish i had DSG instead
6 (7.3%)
Wish i had manual instead
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Whats the consensus on DSG on here  (Read 22527 times)

h4rdy

Re: Whats the consensus on DSG on here
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:59 pm »
I have a DSG ED30.

It is the first Auto car I have owned and if I had been buying an out and out sports car I would be very disappointed.

D is lazy.
S holds on for tooooo loooong!

So mainly with spirited driving its in Manual.

As my car is used by myself and my wife, me to go to work occasionaly and the wife to potter around the village its great.

Its just a complete lack of control IMHO when driving quick ish.

I can see why EVO are complaining that most new Ferraris and Porsches are all coming with Semi Auto.

So we need a 'not to sure whether I like it or not option'!

I just like control and if I buy another one in the future it will be a manual and the wifes car would be upgraded to a DSG!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »
I have a DSG ED30.

It is the first Auto car I have owned and if I had been buying an out and out sports car I would be very disappointed.

D is lazy.

As my car is used by myself and my wife, me to go to work occasionaly and the wife to potter around the village its great.

I can see why EVO are complaining that most new Ferraris and Porsches are all coming with Semi Auto.

I just like control and if I buy another one in the future it will be a manual and the wifes car would be upgraded to a DSG!

....I can understand why there's a lack of driver control when leaving it in S or D but not while in M.

In M, mine (DSG Revo'd) will auto drop from 3rd into 2nd but only at just under 1,000 revs and at 1k revs you're just pootling anyway, so no real-world problem.

Even when in D or S, you can override 'auto' by selecting whatever gear you want. What's not to like?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:59:23 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »
Fook me Robin. What engine have you got in yours if it Revs to 10k and is just pootling :confused: :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 01:58:43 pm »

Fook me Robin. What engine have you got in yours if it Revs to 10k and is just pootling :confused: :confused:

....Ooops! Typo error! I'll correct it.  :drinking:

In my dreams she's a F1 Ferrari V10  :laugh:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »
Errr I reckon Robin means 1k revs :P He's an old man now, so he has to squint at the tacho  :laugh:

<3 DSG. 'nuff said.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »

Errr I reckon Robin means 1k revs :P He's an old man now, so he has to squint at the tacho  :laugh:

....Why do you think I've also got a large digital speed display via a PogoAlert?

I'm certainly older but also wiser  :P

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l19a1i69u7fjs3163r5062rba9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »
I quite like the lazy drive in D mode, I think it makes it easy to live with,esp for a daily and long
Journeys!

Fat lazy cruiser turns into a scalded cat at the flick of a switch! :jumping:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »
My 5 series is an auto and the meg does feel a chore when just going to shops but when having fun just feels right having a clutch, only driven dsg once but just seemed like an auto but with quicker changes. I would not want a dsg on track but would on road
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

h4rdy

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 03:51:30 pm »
I have a DSG ED30.

D is lazy.

....I can understand why there's a lack of driver control when leaving it in S or D but not while in M.

In M, mine (DSG Revo'd) will auto drop from 3rd into 2nd but only at just under 1,000 revs and at 1k revs you're just pootling anyway, so no real-world problem.

Even when in D or S, you can override 'auto' by selecting whatever gear you want. What's not to like?

For me, and people will disagree with this, the engine braking is still missing from the manual mode.

I was taught to drive using engine braking and for me its a big part of the spirited driving 'feel'.

My wife comments on the lack of that too so its not just me.

The feel of the clutch, gearchange etc etc.

It's a real lack of, what's the word, character.

But  your right its a bloody good compromise.

But I would be pissed if I was buying a ferrari and I couldn't spec a manual.

J

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »

For me, and people will disagree with this, the engine braking is still missing from the manual mode.

I was taught to drive using engine braking and for me its a big part of the spirited driving 'feel'.

My wife comments on the lack of that too so its not just me.

....I was taught to use engine braking too: Trying to stop about 2 tons of a 1940s Rover hurtling downhill is not amusing when it has drum brakes! I was in real danger of wiping out a whole village in Worcestershire. It also had an extremely crude version of overdrive/cruise-control which was operated by a wooden 'switch' very like a door knob. I kid you not!

I find that my GTI's DSG has quite a bit of engine braking and certainly slows me down better than that old Rover did!  :scared: :scared:  :driver:  :scared: :scared:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:17:39 pm by RedRobin »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »
Day to day driving, DSG every single time.

For the track, manual. Hence one of the reasons for me selling mine, I drove the Bora of win at the Ring and the satisfaction of heel and toe, slotting a gear just right and the whole manual 'feel' just being better. DSG was faultless on track, especially with the Revo DSG remap giving more control, but ultimately it was a bit too easy, a bit too Playstation and lacked satisfaction.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »

For the track, manual. Hence one of the reasons for me selling mine, I drove the Bora of win at the Ring and the satisfaction of heel and toe, slotting a gear just right and the whole manual 'feel' just being better. DSG was faultless on track, especially with the Revo DSG remap giving more control, but ultimately it was a bit too easy, a bit too Playstation and lacked satisfaction.

....When you are my age using manually operated clutches etc is just one more thing to have to get right and whether on road or track, I want to get every gearshift perfect and don't care how I do it. For me the satisfaction comes from selecting the right gear at the right time and not how well I moved my wrist and legs/feet. But of course, we're all different and there's no 'wrong' way imo.

I don't doubt that you, or anyone else, can lap a track faster with a conventional manual than myself in DSG, but that's not something I care about.  :happy2:

[^ If that sounds slightly unfriendly it wasn't meant to be]

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »
Have DSG, had tried playing around with one before owning my GTi and enjoyed the drive and now I've got it i love it more. Its the burp on gearshift that I love.
I've no objection to having a manual car, but I do enjoy the DSG and prefer it now I think. But then I love my toys, so the novelty of flappy paddles helps lol
Ant

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:36 pm »

But then I love my toys, so the novelty of flappy paddles helps lol

....Extend your flappy paddles and you'll have even more fun. I best refrain from using other flap related terms before the watershed hour  :evilgrin:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »
I very much doubt I could lap faster in a manual than a DSG, Robin. That's why most race cars have seqential boxes, it removes driver error and is always faster than any human.

It's just about 'feel'.. Much as you like to feel your engine through your uprated mounts, I like to feel part of the process of gear selection. I absolutely loved driving the Golf on track, it was just driving the Bora that started the niggling in my brain and I knew what I had to do.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:27:45 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!