7 (8.5%)
Tried it, but dont have DSG- Love it IT
11 (13.4%)
Wish i had DSG instead
6 (7.3%)
Wish i had manual instead
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Whats the consensus on DSG on here  (Read 22517 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Whats the consensus on DSG on here
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2011, 07:51:42 am »
LOL, I'm a long way off being fast and I'm certainly no Stig! The way I see it is you've paid for a track day and you've got 60-70 shots at the same set of corners in relative safety. You may as well try some different things and see if you can learn from it?
nothing meant towards you td, And yeah suppose track days are good for trying diff things, I just drive around though :signLOL:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2011, 10:03:44 am »
Manual all the way for. Have tried dsg but don't like it.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
LOL, I'm a long way off being fast and I'm certainly no Stig! The way I see it is you've paid for a track day and you've got 60-70 shots at the same set of corners in relative safety. You may as well try some different things and see if you can learn from it?
nothing meant towards you td, And yeah suppose track days are good for trying diff things, I just drive around though :signLOL:

I know you weren't chap, I'm just didn't want to sound like a know it all when I'm far from perfect!

I just like to mess about, it interests me seeing how different things affect the car.
Sideways yo!

h4rdy

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:12 am »

But then I love my toys, so the novelty of flappy paddles helps lol

....Extend your flappy paddles and you'll have even more fun. I best refrain from using other flap related terms before the watershed hour  :evilgrin:

Can you point me in the right direction Robin?

I drove in to work yesterday morning and a little bit more length on the flap! would have helped!

If you saw Top Gear with the Aerial Atom V8 can I get something like that which is near the rim of the Steering Wheel?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=17lo4egmo8mp912g2u49ttu4h6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:53 am »
TID paddle extension.... i think those are the ones robin has got, and they look pretty tasty.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:40 am »
Yes, I have TID paddle extensions. There are some other ones on the market now but I think the TIDs are the simplest to fit.

I wrote a review way back in 2008:  http://www.bialimotorsport.com/forums/threads/136-DSG-Paddleshifter-Extensions-Review....

They still haven't shown any signs whatsoever of dropping off!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:42 pm »
 :happy2:

For the record I love it! Cant imagine going back to the grind....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 04:28:23 pm »
I wonder how many folks here thought they wouldn't like it but now love DSG.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2011, 05:19:54 pm »
i do generally think that the majority of people who slate DSG including journalists have never owned a car with paddles.

I know myself, at first it just felt weird and awkward to drive fast because i kpt trying to use my left foot for the clutch etc. and kept going for the gear lever.  Once your used to it, it'll be no different.

id bet this is the issue with the journalists. they are not used to Paddles, so its awkward for them.  they then try a manual car which they are familiar with and all of a sudden it feels natural.  hence they abuse the DSG in comparison

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2011, 06:37:38 pm »

i do generally think that the majority of people who slate DSG including journalists have never owned a car with paddles.

I know myself, at first it just felt weird and awkward to drive fast because i kpt trying to use my left foot for the clutch etc. and kept going for the gear lever.  Once your used to it, it'll be no different.

id bet this is the issue with the journalists. they are not used to Paddles, so its awkward for them.  they then try a manual car which they are familiar with and all of a sudden it feels natural.  hence they abuse the DSG in comparison

....I agree. You have to have a mindset which is willing to like it. DSG took me well over 1,000 miles to feel at ease with it - There are so many options of combinations in using it and it takes time for it to become and feel natural and fluid. I feel slightly awkward in a conventional manual car now, especially as I totally 'think manual' and I have gone to use a paddle which isn't there.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2011, 07:10:54 pm »
I had a DSG courtesy car for a week, and it is not for me, too much 'driving by numbers'.  I realise that it is for some, but not for others.  Perhaps a week is not enough, but how long is a test drive.  Then there is the plethora of reported problems that also put me off.

Way of the world.

One question though, and I feel worth reporting on, so people have some indication on what it look for when buying a DSG.

What do you look for when buying a DSG?  MK5's are getting 5 years old now, and some have fairly high miles, but you want to buy a DSG, because you have heard it is a great box, or you need an 'auto-esque' gearbox (I know it is not strictly an auto - But a computer has a large hand in changing gears) What do you look for? Both on the car and at the dealers.

Would you buy this car?  well out of warranty, probably a fair few owners, highish miles.  (not pointing at you RR at all with this at all, just a quest to provide information) Would you buy it with a chequered (some VW and some indy) Service history?  

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2227801.htm

I would feel far happier buying a manual in the above circumstances, however a buyer may need a DSG.  Just IMO.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »
when i traded mine in the dealer who looked over mine drove the car backwards and forwards a few times in quick sucession, he saids that's how they look out for dsg issues..

as for experience, dsg took me more than a few thousand miles to get used too, started off using 'd' and 's' - d was just boring and couldnt stand it shifting up to 5th and 6th doing 30-40mph, s was just too much and held the gears too long for my liking, especially on downshifts, as I was used to using the gears to slow down

then started using m all the time and never looked back, was the first thing i did after starting her up and used it all the time even in traffic etc. uprated engine mounts i found improved the 'feel' of the gear changes particularly downshifts and after the revo dsg stage 2 software was on i was very happy, 4krpm launch control ftw  :happy2:

but back in a manual now and the only time i miss dsg is when sat in traffic  :drinking:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:14 pm »

One question though, and I feel worth reporting on, so people have some indication on what it look for when buying a DSG.

What do you look for when buying a DSG?  MK5's are getting 5 years old now, and some have fairly high miles, but you want to buy a DSG, because you have heard it is a great box, or you need an 'auto-esque' gearbox (I know it is not strictly an auto - But a computer has a large hand in changing gears) What do you look for? Both on the car and at the dealers.

Would you buy this car?  well out of warranty, probably a fair few owners, highish miles.  (not pointing at you RR at all with this at all, just a quest to provide information) Would you buy it with a chequered (some VW and some indy) Service history? 

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2227801.htm

I would feel far happier buying a manual in the above circumstances, however a buyer may need a DSG.  Just IMO.

....Personally, I like DSG so much that I wouldn't be considering another manual car again, but that's just my preference. Mileage wouldn't put me off a VW but number of owners would start me asking why. Full service history and particularly evidence of DSG servicing would also be important.

More complex as it is, I think that a DSG box is less subjected to abuse in its use.

Oh, another consideration might be how highly the car was tuned. Very big torque being stressful? 

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »
thought id bump this up as im looking at purchasing a mk5 gti soon and really want a dsg but little bit worried with all faults/fails that have been reported and the cost to fix.

whats the best way to check a dsg box to make sure it ok?  also is it best to test box from cold or does it not matter?

thanks

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »

whats the best way to check a dsg box to make sure it ok?  also is it best to test box from cold or does it not matter?

When my Mechatronic unit went faulty it presented itself as jerkiness and stalling when at low speed in both 1st and reverse gears, reversing up an incline was the worst case scenario for the box, also seemed to occur most when the gearbox was hot

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here