Make a donation

Author Topic: Bird noise in engine bay.......  (Read 1233 times)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Bird noise in engine bay.......
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:19:53 am »
Hi guys,

Noticed this noise in the bay, for 5 mins or so after startup.  I knew from reading some prev posts it was possibly the Cam belt Tensioner.  Took it into VW on thurdsay, and they have done it under warranty.  I asked for the water pump to be done at the same time and check the follower (which was fine). 
I still however got a bill for 230 quid, due to being charged for numerous rollers and other bits that were not included under the warranty.  I knew that I would have to pay for the pump and fitting but seriously wasnt expecting that :sad1:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Bird noise in engine bay.......
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:53:27 am »
but you requested work to be done though dude, if they had done it without you asking you would have room to object. quotes up front mate.

i just had a running battle with landrover this week, they tried to charge me £175 more than the original quote and i point blank refused to pay and they kicked off. knowing your rights is a must but communication is the key....

your bill still sucks tho  :ashamed:

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:48 am »
I know VC,  I wanted the water pump doing and what not but considering thats only about 40 notes, I thought it wouldnt be anywhere near 230
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:17:08 pm »
I can see your point, being charged for the pump (and a small amount of labour for fitting), and for checking the follower is fair enough but being charged for the rollers etc is a bit enthusiastic I feel.  AFAIK they have to be replaced during the cambelt change anyway so I doubt you specified this separately?   

IMO you shouldn't have to pay for those items and should kick up a stink.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »
I mentioned this (rollers etc) and he said they were not included in the kit and I could leave the old ones on if I wanted to.  Which I of course did not want to do.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »
i can see your point but its the labour and time fitting the water pump is where the money creeps up

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »
Hardly any labour charge he said, ......its the rollers, 3 of at 30 quid a go (ish) thats done it (all+vat of course)

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 01:21:36 pm »
VW were charging £250 for a full cambelt change not so long ago :confused: what exactly did they claim was under warrenty a few bolts :rolleye:

They shouldnt be charging you labour for the pump if there doing the cambelt under warrenty as by the time they have got to the cambelt the pump is just there 10 mins done, then they can get back on with the cambelt.

Had my cambelt changed for £250+vat including water pump.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
Ah OK, I think what you need to do is find out if the rollers have to be replaced / would normally be replaced when changing a timing belt.  If they are not then you were correctly given the choice and that choice has a cost.  If they are normally replaced as a matter of course then it shouldn't have been at your choice and cost.

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant