Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying a car with finance....... (All Sorted!!)  (Read 3048 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Buying a car with finance....... (All Sorted!!)
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:48 am »
I've found my perfect car at the perfect price. I've just HPI'd it and it used to have a private plate on it. It has come back saying there is an interest on the private plate but the original plate (which the car is on now) has no interests against it. Heres a copy of the HPI..........

Plate Transfer

* The current plate (Original plate back on the car now) was transferred to this vehicle on 15/02/2011
    * (Private Plate) was applied to this vehicle on 16/06/2010
          o This VRM has been recorded as having an outstanding finance agreement
          o An outstanding finance agreement was recorded on 22/05/2007 against a VOLKSWAGEN GOLF DIESEL HA
    * (Original plate on the car now) was applied to this vehicle on 01/07/2006
          o There are no interests recorded against (Original plate on the car now)

Ive spoke to the guy and he says he bought his private plate privately off a woman back in June last year. He says the finance is against him through Blackhorse, not against the car (which the bottom comment on the HPI seems to show)

Is this car safe to buy or not?! I need to know now because if I don't get it today then it's getting traded in on Tuesday.

BTW, the car is on the GolfGTI.co.uk forum and has been for sale since December 14th.

Cheers,
Matt
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:43:10 pm by MattPoss »
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Help needed quickly please, buying a car with finance......
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:56:38 am »
you need to put a call into the company that has the interest in the private plated vehicle (black horse) to make sure the outstanding balance is non transferred to the vehicle regardless of plate

theyre not open on a sunday though:

http://www.blackhorse.co.uk/motor/Contacts.html

ideally you need to let the owner make the call and then give permission for you to talk to them and then pass the phone so you can check.

Same thing happened to me last year  :happy2:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:27 pm »
Even though there is no interests on the original numberplate which it is now back on?!

The interest was on the private plate which he bought privatly and it shows the interest as a Golf Diesel, the car i'm looking at is a GTI.

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »
you may be fine then dude  :happy2:

same thing happened to me though before i bought a car last year, private plate came off of the one i wanted and was to go onto their new one, my hpi came back as clear but with previous finance outstanding. That plate went onto retention and the old plate went back on. I bought the vehicle from 300 miles away so the hpi and service checks etc were all done over the internet and phone, all clear and good.

The seller though was very good and told me their was still finance on the vehicle even though the hpi suggested otherswise (£8000+) and so i arranged a deal to clear the finance to buy the car. Drove all the way up to collect it and then he called the finance company and then passed the phone to me and i cleared it there and then with proof to be sent to me via post. Remainder was paid to the seller and i drove of. Week later the letter of clearance arrived and the seller also emailed me proof of the account closed.

You may well be fine mate  :happy2: just saying its very similar to what happened to me and thought the info might be useful.

If it were me, the fact that there might be something outstanding on a plate that was at one stage linked to the car you want would be enough for me to want to confirm or deny with the finance company before i committed to a purchase

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »
Yeah I suppose, only problem is that i'm off to look at the car now and Blackhorse aren't open and I won't be able to get down until after 6pm tomorrow night which is when Blackhorse close so it isn't really possible to both be there at the same time on the phone to them.

Thankyou very much for your input though :happy2:

Matt

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »
Yeah I suppose, only problem is that i'm off to look at the car now and Blackhorse aren't open and I won't be able to get down until after 6pm tomorrow night which is when Blackhorse close so it isn't really possible to both be there at the same time on the phone to them.

Thankyou very much for your input though :happy2:

Matt
Hi Matt,

My understanding is that if you sell a car on finance to a motor trader they 100% must settle the finance and give you the seller the residule amount if there is any , From the little i know if you buy a car private and it has finance its very difficult for you to know 100% that there is or was finance against the said car and if things got messy the law tends to favour the buyer , I am sure some one will say ahh but  that is the way i have had it explained to me ,

Obviously it is best to know 100% the finance outstanding on any car you are looking to buy but thats were the grey area begins.I mean if you have a receipt from the seller noting payment in full and the car is clear off finance it would help in the event off problems

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 03:40:57 pm »
Well I set off and got about 30 miles down the road whilst being on the phone to the woman from HPI.

She confirmed that the car did have finance against it and that I shouldn't hand any money over until they check it out with the finance company tomorrow. I phoned the seller and he couldnt afford to clear the finance before I got there and I wasn't prepared to do a bank transfer to allow him to clear the finance so I turned round and came home.

Thanks for your input guys :happy2:

The search continues ..................

Matt

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:41:58 pm »
I'm absolutly gutted :sad1:

The HPI company rang me this morning saying they had spoke with the finance company who had informed them the car wasn't under any finance, the finance was held against the seller, nothing to do with the car. They have removed their interest in the car and sent me a new, clear HPI report.

The car is getting traded in tomorrow morning so i've lost out on it now. The car was a bargain and i'll struggle to find a one with the same spec for the same price again!

:sad1:

Matt

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:44:33 pm »
never mind dude, want meant to be that was all  :love:

always better to be safe than sorry, shame you didnt discover the car sooner

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:43 pm »
Thing is, it had been up for sale since the 14th December, I just didn't have the funds available until now :sad1:

No way of getting the money from the bank and getting down there before he trades it in now either, he's going first thing in the morning! I'll ring the dealer and see how much they are going to sell it for because I know how much they have gave him and it needs a DSG service and a timing belt service. I'd rather buy it before they do these things because my mate is a mechanic at the the local VW dealers and will be able to do it for beer tokens and get the parts cheap.

I'll see what they say tomorrow

Matt

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:41 pm »
Well thing weren't all that bad.......

Phoned the dealers it where it was getting traded in at 9:00 am Monday morning (Dane VW Chester)

They were all busy but I got a call back at about 4:30 from one of there salesmen. The private seller had traded it in and I knew they had gave him £8700 for it. When I rang he said they had someone who had left his number with them as he was looking for a MK5 GTI but they couldn't get hold of him so they rang me instead. He said it needed a DSG service and a Timing belt (which I knew) and would be up for sale at £11,300!!! I told him I knew how much he had paid for it and asked if he would consider selling it without the services. I told them i could be there this weekend with the money and take it.He said he didn't think they could but he'd ask his manager.

He rang me back a couple of minutes later saying they could do it and it would be £9999. The car had no tax so after much bartering and getting 6 months tax chucked in, I did the deal!

The private sellers lowest price was £9500 and I would have had to pay for the tax on top of that so it hasn't cost me a lot more from a dealer. They also offered me 1 years warranty for £255 which I will probably take.

So anyway, the car......
2006 MK5 Golf GTI in Tornado Red
DSG
40,000 miles
Dual Zone Climate Control
Xenon Lights
Sunroof
Electric Interlagos Cloth Seats (quite rare from what I can gather)
Cruise Control
Multi Function Wheel
Colour Coded Skirts and Rear Bumpers
Parking Sensors
Armrest e.t.c
7 months MOT and 6 months tax

All for £9999 for a VW Dealer. I'm very pleased with the deal, just can't wait to pick it up on Sunday morning now!

My MK5 TDI will be up for sale soon so if anyone is interested, keep an eye out in the classifieds!

Matt

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
Sounds like you have been on quite a high/low journey (a bit similar to me when I bought my GTI 3 months ago) :laugh:

Great to hear you got what you wanted in the end :happy2:

Looks like a well spec'ed car.

Don't forget the pics once you have picked it up :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:32 pm »
Karma mate everything happens for reason glad you got sorted in the end you'll not regret it!

Andy

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:57 pm »
Thankyou very much folks :happy2:

Pics up Sunday night!

Matt

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Buying a car with finance....... (All Sorted!!)
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »
Nice one ive got a gt tdi and might go for a gti
Good luck and drive safe back  :grin: