Make a donation

Author Topic: STS-133: Last launch of the Shuttle Discovery  (Read 11274 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
STS-133: Last launch of the Shuttle Discovery
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:47:15 pm »
Just got back from Florida and gone through some of the photos from the launch on the 24th. It was an emotional day, I'll write more about it tomorrow. But for now, some pictures...
If you're interested I strongly recommend clicking through and looking at the large ones!

Main engine start

Main engine start by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Tower cleared

Tower cleared! by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Powering away by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Beginning roll program

Roll program by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Flickr Slideshow of what I've got up there so far. I'll get more stuff up tomorrow evening.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: STS-133: Last launch of the Shuttle Discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:08 pm »
Amazing.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

It's hard to believe that they have been in service for over 20 years.  :congrats:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:30 pm »
It's a breathtaking machine, and it's so sad that they're being taken out of service. As the mission commander said - Discovery is still like a new ship, with many missions left in her.

Couple more.

ascent1 by CmdrFire, on Flickr

ascent2 by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:30:22 am »
thats pretty cool.  Weird question, what was the sound of it like?  id imagine it was pretty biblical

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:58:43 am »
Not a weird question at all, and the sound is awesome, in every sense of the word. Large booming rumble first, and then as the Shuttle banks away and the exhausts point towards the causeway, a powerful crackling roar which makes your ribcage vibrate. Seriously cool - biblical is the word.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »
Very envious - sounds like a great trip, one that will leave lifelong memories.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:52 pm »
Amazing... once in a lifetime opportunity.  :notworthy:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »
so envious! i'm desperate to see a shuttle lift  :ashamed:

only 2 left now and doubtful i'll get to either.... orsum shots though dude  :congrats:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 03:17:23 pm »
Seriously, I'm saying this to everyone, if you get a chance to go to one of the last two, go.

Causeway tickets are the best way (that's where I was), you enter a lottery to be allowed to purchase them but if you get selected in the lottery they're not that expensive ($50/each). I was only about 6 miles from the launch site (Launch Pad 39A if anyone is interested), and it's the closest the public can get to see a launch. Apparently there's good views from the Space Center itself (about 10 miles away) and then again from Titusville (12 miles away) and Cocoa beach.

Forget being an impressive sight (which it is) or even an educational day out (the Space Center is fantastic and worth visiting by itself). It's a genuinely perspective-changing event, to see that ship rise. Really like nothing else on earth.

Some interesting numbers for the speed freaks amongst us. By the time the Shuttle clears the tower (see my photo labelled "Tower Cleared!") it's already doing 200mph. At 2 minutes in, it's doing close to three thousand mph. By the time the ship reaches escape velocity, about seven minutes in, it's doing close to seventeen thousand miles per hour. Bit faster than the fastest toy on this forum; faster even than Hedge's Vulcan.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »
I got back this morning from Florida

I've been wanting to go for ages and I'm so glad I did, It was an amazing experience.

It lifts off in silence as the NASA causeway is around 6 miles away fron the launch site (I'm lead to believe its the nearest public viewing site) about 25-30 secs in you hear the rumble and then as it banks the sound turns to an awesome crackle.

Even Mrs Apollo was speechless  :grin:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

MPS

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 04:06:26 pm »
If ever there was an appropriate moment to say the word, after seeing them photos, now is the time to use it - EPIC!  :congrats:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »
I got back this morning from Florida

I've been wanting to go for ages and I'm so glad I did, It was an amazing experience.

It lifts off in silence as the NASA causeway is around 6 miles away fron the launch site (I'm lead to believe its the nearest public viewing site) about 25-30 secs in you hear the rumble and then as it banks the sound turns to an awesome crackle.

Even Mrs Apollo was speechless  :grin:

Crikey, were you at the Causeway as well?! We should have met up!

The causeway is indeed the closest public viewing area. There's a slightly closer viewing area north of the pad (3.5 miles) for NASA staff and VIPs but from pad 39A the Shuttle is hidden behind the gantry so the causeway was the best view (and will be for Endeavour and Atlantis as well, as Pad 39B is being converted for Ares).

Edit: on another note, did you take the tour to the Saturn V building? With your username I hope you did!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
Yes I was at the causeway! It was a time like that, that I wish I had a decent camera. The point and shot doesn't do it any justice but the experience was the main thing for me really.

I have some photos and also a video, I'll post them up when I get a chance.

I certainly did go to see the Saturn V building   :grin:

Out of interest did you drive there or where you on a dolphin/grayline tour? It took us 5hrs to get back to Lake Buena Vista!!

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:26 pm »
We drove, and it took four hours to get back to Orlando! Traffic afterwards was terrible.

I'd done a lot of reading on launch photography prior to going and all the advice more or less said "if this is likely to be your first and only time, don't take a camera, and view with your own eyes rather than through a viewfinder" which was an excellent point, but I couldn't not take photos... so I had all my equipment set up beforehand on tripods with a remote release for the stills and started filming as soon as we got a "go" from the Range (talk about leaving it to the last second! I got grey hairs because of that range safety officer!).

I've got some hd video shot with a 28mm lens which I'll try to get up later this evening.

I agree though, that the experience is the main thing, and the photos are incidental - we're never going to be able to take anything as good as the official NASA shots anyway!

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:29:20 pm »
Wow... just wow... that's all I can say really, bet it was a sight to behold. Pictures are fantastic too, didn't realise how much it banked so soon. When are the last 2 launches? Would love to see one  :happy2: