Make a donation

Author Topic: STS-133: Last launch of the Shuttle Discovery  (Read 11275 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: STS-133: Last launch of the Shuttle Discovery
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »
STS-134 (Endeavour) is scheduled for 19th April and STS-135 (Atlantis) is baselined for 28th June but pending confirmation.

Endeavour was taken out of the Orbiter Processing Facility earlier today to be taken to Vehicle Assembly Building to be mated with the orange external fuel tank and its solid rocket boosters in preparation for STS-134.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 11:07:14 pm »

[Where's the pic gone?]

^ This is the money shot (as VC calls it) for me  :notworthy:

Wow! As others have already said: A lifetime experience.

It's not the number of breaths we take that matter, but the number of moments which take our breath away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:08:54 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:35:08 pm »
Which pic is that Robin? I haven't changed any of the flickr links so you should still be able to get it.

A couple more.

SRB flameout. I was surprised I caught this, given how far away it was (T+00:01:50 into the flight, with Discovery approaching 2800mph). This is photo I've uploaded is a 100% crop and bigger than this one, click through and view to see more detail!

Flameout by CmdrFire, on Flickr

The contrail a few minutes after the launch

Contrail by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 12:02:33 am »

Which pic is that Robin? I haven't changed any of the flickr links so you should still be able to get it.

....This one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmdrfire/5482847326/

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 12:12:39 am »
I think that's my favourite as well. I'm going to make a more desktop-friendly version of that tomorrow.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:14 am »
I think that's my favourite as well. I'm going to make a more desktop-friendly version of that tomorrow.

nice and big please cos i want a copy for my desktop  :innocent: :party:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:38 pm »
A-mazing!  :notworthy:

Awesome pics considering how far away you were! Can't wait for the vid!  :party:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 02:26:58 pm »
^^^^
I think that being at some distance adds to the drama by putting the launch more in context and perspective  :happy2:

Offline Creatz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • The Noob
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »
i go to florida most years,regrettably had to postpone for this year due to a wedding in vegas.

Last year when i was there,i went to watch a shuttle launch that i was really excited about, something my friend goes nuts about
more than i do, none the less we was both excited to see a shuttle launch.
We checked the website to find the launch had been postponed to the following day........typical the day we fly home,so all we got to
see from orlando intational was the smoke trail  :sad1:

awesome pictures though mate, will be referring my friend to this forum to come and have a look at them

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:44 pm »
Epic :smiley: loved the space centre when i was there. a few days after we visited one of the shuttles was coming back in to land the noise it makes when it comes thru the sound barrier was amazing. would love to see the launch.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 12:09:15 am »
Anyone wanting a desktop background, go through and grab the original of this, it is sized appropriate for a monitor with resolution 1920x1200

Discovery by CmdrFire, on Flickr

Web browsers seem to display the image with a slightly blue cast, but should be OK once downloaded. Nevertheless I'll try to correct over the next couple of days. Was also thinking of making a background with the mission patch in the corner, thoughts anyone?

i go to florida most years,regrettably had to postpone for this year due to a wedding in vegas.

Last year when i was there,i went to watch a shuttle launch that i was really excited about, something my friend goes nuts about
more than i do, none the less we was both excited to see a shuttle launch.
We checked the website to find the launch had been postponed to the following day........typical the day we fly home,so all we got to
see from orlando intational was the smoke trail  :sad1:

awesome pictures though mate, will be referring my friend to this forum to come and have a look at them

Even this launch was down to the last few seconds, Discovery launched 3 seconds before the window closed and the launch was nearly scrubbed because of a malfunction on the display on the Range Safety Officer's computer... I was only in Florida for like four days, specifically to see the launch, so a 48-hour scrub would have meant I missed it!
I had a good feeling that this was "the one" though since STS-133 has been postponed since November, so if they're rolling out to the pad they must've been confident.

If your friend clicks through to this set all of the pictures I've uploaded so far are there (including a couple of launch ones I haven't uploaded yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmdrfire/sets/72157626030874509/with/5490479000/

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 11:16:11 am »

Anyone wanting a desktop background, go through and grab the original of this, it is sized appropriate for a monitor with resolution 1920x1200

Web browsers seem to display the image with a slightly blue cast, but should be OK once downloaded. Nevertheless I'll try to correct over the next couple of days. Was also thinking of making a background with the mission patch in the corner, thoughts anyone?

....Offer a mission patch version as an additional option so that folks have a choice  :happy2: (Perhaps that's what you were going to do anyway)

I can almost hear the noise when I look at that shot, Neo  :notworthy:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 11:21:10 am »
cheers dude  :drinking:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »

....Offer a mission patch version as an additional option so that folks have a choice  :happy2: (Perhaps that's what you were going to do anyway)

I can almost hear the noise when I look at that shot, Neo  :notworthy:

I'll make another one with the STS-133 mission patch and the NASA meatball, and try to eliminate that blue cast.

Incidentally, everyone - registration for viewing of STS-134 (last flight of Endeavour) opened today!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:39 pm »
The fine people at NASA's systems engineering teams made this superb video of the ascent highlights on STS-133. Strongly recommend you watch in HD fullscreen...

Slightly higher res version here. It's about twelve minutes long, worth watching though.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=69829481

No video from me still, though I'm going to get on that now.

Just a reminder to everyone still interested in seeing a launch. Registration for STS-134 is only open until tomorrow. Google "Kennedy Space Center" and you can find the registration page there.