Make a donation

Author Topic: Lies Garages have told you  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Verity

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Lies Garages have told you
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »
As the titles suggests; I was wondering what sort of lies garages have told you guys?

Before I started relying on my boyfriend I was told quite a few (I guess when they see a girl come through the doors they see pound signs in their eyes)

For example on an old car of mine, I was told the Hydrauclics in my clutch was on the way out..... Which is interesting considering it had a Cable Clutch!

Another car I had, needed the tracking sorting. Took it to a garage and had it done. On my way home I realised it was still out, so went straight back. They had a look and said the wishbone was broken. That it would cost over £150 to fix.
They then refused to give me my money back cose apparently 'its not our fault' [surely when doing the tracking they would have seen it was broken in the first place, and known that the tracking couldn't be done?]
anyway took it to another place (that I knew I could trust), and was told the wishbone was fine, and that the steering rack needed adjusting. Cost me under £50 to sort that and properly do the tracking.

Ifti

Re: Lies Garages have told you
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:43:26 pm »
My mate had one just last week!

He took his VW Golf GTI into a VW dealer to investigate a strange knocking noise from the engine bay.

VW told him it was coming from under the engine - maybe something loose etc, so they would have to remove the entire engine to investigate and repair. He was told that it would be at least a full day's work, and he was looking at approx £1500 for the entire job!

Yes - £1500!!! This is a VW main dealer!

My mate took the car away. He had a guy at his work look at it.

You wont believe this...........

It turned out it was the ENGINE COVER slightly loose, and rattling!! As soon as you held the engine cover down a little from one side, and gave it some rev's etc, the car made no rattling noise any more!!

He took the car back to the same VW dealer. They replaced the engine cover free of charge in the end!

He's going to write in to complain about this - as he's had numerous bad times with this dealer (he bought the car from them brand new originally as well).
He stated on their survey that he would not recommend them to others, and the dealer had the nerve to ring him back a few days later asking if he wuld ammend his survey to say he would recommend them, as it looks bad on the dealership otherwise!!!!!

I must admit - VW make great cars, but their aftercare service is absolute pants!

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »
Vw telling me I need a new cambelt is a good one - the r32 is chain driven!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »
When my rear brake light went,

that is covered under warranty, but we are not allowed to do it.

Conversation with warranty manager, yes they are allowed to do it but don't want to because its difficult!!! haha Your VW you make the car???

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »
When enquiring with a VW main dealer if they'd check the diverter valve whilst they were doing my cambelt I was told that my car didn't have a diverter valve... and that reply came after checking with the "technical" staff...

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:25:38 pm »
Not a  VW dealer but I went to view a car for a freind in a local well known second hand car dealership.
The car was an 06plate with 175k on the clock when I asked the question as to why the milage was so high the salesman replied with oh its in Kilometers not miles :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: Which I found a bit strange for a UK car :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: Turned out that it was actually miles not km's

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
the phone call saying my service on my old audi coupe was complete. I turned up opened the bonnet and checked a couple things such as the spark plugs and air filter that were all due to get changed and they were all old.  They sh!t themselves when i started doing it lol, i could see it in their faces they new id busted them.

had an argument and ended up driving off without paying for a thing.  i drained the oil myself, turns out they had at least changed that :grin: