Make a donation

Author Topic: The best way to deep clean before a polish and wax  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
The best way to deep clean before a polish and wax
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:17:30 pm »
Hi, guys

I am way behind the modern world of car cleaning polishing but have used Clay and strong chemicals in the past. I have then used Zymol HDCleanse followed by Zymol waxes and have been very pleased. It's choosing the right product to really clean the paint to start with, I have used clay but found that most products were not as good as the stupidly expensive Zymol clay. Plus I wont really have the time to clay.

I did use a really aggressive cleaner (I cant remember the name) that was amazing at cleaning and made Claying almost irrelevant. But suspect it was not that kind.

I am planning to clean, then HD Cleanse, then wax this weekend. I am hoping there will be no need for serious polishing s the car has been handwashed only and is late 2008 and sub 20k miles.

Any advice on deep cleaning products greatly appreciated  :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Re: The best way to deep clean before a polish and wax
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »
Claying will remove all the contaminants and your current/old wax. If that's what you are looking to do but without claying I'd just get a good APC (all purpose cleaner) and give it a good wash. Make sure you get an APC that is salt free such as Stardrops or similar, not fairy.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »
I have googled stardrops, looks like a clean everything product. Do I just dilute in warm water ?

Great looks cheap too  :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »
Aye lad, just dilute as per the instructions on the bottle. I've been using it recently to strip off my collinite 845 which is one of longest lasting waxed out there. Works for me!

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »
Okeydokey, just looked on line, seems my local supermarket (Waitrose) don't stock. They have their own label APC, I'll have a gander at the ingredients

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »
The paintwork of most cars can be improved on irrespective of their age. Hence the "doesn't need polish" is pointless. The process of washing inflicts damage, so your car will need polishing at some stage.

Zymol stuff can be good but very expensive. What clays have you used that were found to be poor? You only need to clay maybe twice a year. Ditto with polishing. Once you've detailed the car and protected the paintwork, simply washing, rinsing and drying is enough.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »
Depending on what you wanted the apc to do, I'd dilute it to 1:10.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:04:55 am »
Stealth, thanks

Many a year ago when I was OCD about cleaning my car, I used to go away with friends and excitingish cars to France, I'd get up early every morning and fully valet my car and wax ready for the thrash.....

I found clay superb, then brought some maguiars and it wasn't a patch on Zymol 'blutack'

My polish kit way back then was. Autoglym wash, Zymol clay, Zymol HDcleanse, Zymol carbon wax (I also had a couple of small tubs of the more exotic, but found the carbon very good and easy) The trouble is I have no space any more to polish my car at home, so I tend to go to the £6 hands free (Sorry, yes I know...)

When I had a black M5 and as really busy I used some really aggressive car cleaner (he bought a 2 gallon drum) spray on leave 15 mins then get off quick, it did an amazing job ! Don't know what it was or how much damage it might do if used regularly but it was remarkable, like putting a stained teacup in a dishwasher on the soiled pan cycle
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:09:50 am by Carrera2RS »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:04 am »
Sounds like you used some kind of harsh traffic film remover (I'm not a pro detailer so am just guessing).

I have similar issues with lack of space. Live on a main road so I can't polish. Doesn't stop me from doing everything else though.

Have a look at JPC's website - miglior detailing. There are pics of brand new cars being worked on - the final finish from the factory gives everything an orange peel effect. Proper correction is always going to be required unless you get the paint done properly first time.

Every step of the washing process will inflict damage, so at some point you'll need to polish. The entire point of detailing products is to do the job effectively but with minimal paintwork damage.

I would honestly say get the car detailed professionally, which would then be easier to maintain. This is what I do every year.

If you want to get back into detailing, I suggest you join up to detailing world. There are people who are so obsessive, they make your OCD look like you're normal!

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 11:31:13 am »
Just checked out the web site, loving the work on a new S5, wow that's poor to have a new car with that quality paint....

Manchester is a long way for me (Herts) no prices on the site. Any views of what a correction detail might cost, I can't seem to find prices on site or threads ?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:35 pm »
TBH that's because the price depends on what's involved. Detailing is essentially based on labour-rates. An simple enhancement can take something like 4-6 hours, a correction can take 2-3 days depending the state of the paintwork. I've seen details that can take a week.

It also depends on the vehicle size (compare a mini to a stretch limo), as well as the state the vehicle is in to begin with. Consequently too many variables mean it's impossible to give an accurate guide.

Ball park figures: minor enhancement is £150 upwards, correction I'd reckon would be £300+.

Again, if you join up to detailingworld, you can find a list of detailers in your area who you can then approach for quotes.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »
Just been looking on the detailingworld..... Boy it's a whole new world. Autofinesse are my nearest detailer. I'll see how the Pirelli looks after my quick weekend wash n wax !

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »
Detailing World is like this forum , it makes you want to spend lots of money!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline SimonBash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:31 pm »
Just been looking on the detailingworld..... Boy it's a whole new world. Autofinesse are my nearest detailer. I'll see how the Pirelli looks after my quick weekend wash n wax !

Cannot recommend Auto Finesse highly enough, James is based in Elsenham near Stanstead. I have had a tutorial detail from him and also seen a number of his details in the past, you will not be dissapointed.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info  :happy2:

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 02:02:12 pm »
Thanks guys,

Looking at Elsenham they are some 50 miles away, not sure igf tehre is anything closer, but then again if theyare very good. I am also thinking about looking at the cost of wrapping the centre grill surround (not sure of name), the mirrors, front splitter and rear under valance in matt black. I'll call and see if they can do this  :happy2: