Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone have a QNAP?  (Read 963 times)

Ifti

Anyone have a QNAP?
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »
Interested in selling my external drives to replace with a QNAP TS-659 NAS to run in RAID 6.....

Does anyone have a QNAP server??

1. I understand you can use it with Time Machine etc, and its also an iTunes Server. Can I stream music to an AirPlay compatible device? If so, would I just use my iPhone or iPad to control the music etc?
2. Will it be accessible over my wireless N network (5GHz) if attached to my AEBS via ethernet?
3. Can I use it to stream video/movies to my PS3?

Any other experiences/comments from those who have, or have used, one?

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
Re: Anyone have a QNAP?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »
I use a Synology  :happy2:

I looked into Qnap and Synology, finally plumping for the DS211 :)
It's perfect, running 2x 2TB drives in a mirrored array.
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »
At the moment I have a 2TB Iomega MiniMax drive that my AEBS sits perfectly on top of - this is used as my network drive over the wireless.
I then have 3 My Book Studio Edition drives. All 3 of these have 2 x 2TB HDD's each - I have them set to mirror the drives. These are used via Firewire800, as and when I need to access the data on them.

I want to consolidate all of these to a QNAP server instead, along with storing my iTunes library etc on it as well. Seems to simply everything for me, but just after some feedback on it from anyone who has one, or has used one.....

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:26:28 pm »
Another Syno here too.  I also have 2 x 2TB drives in mine.

They seem to be pretty good for support, new firmware with features and fixes come out relatively frequently and their support is good.  My DS207 had problems for a while and despite several attempts by the to fix it remotely they collected it and shipped it back to Taiwan where they tested it and then replaced it with a DS209 - All out of warranty.

I also hear good things about QNAP but no direct experience.  I saw an offer on a Syno 2 bay unit via email recently - Dabs IIRC.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available