Make a donation

Author Topic: VW speaker upgrade kits  (Read 54887 times)

Offline AMc

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Re: VW speaker upgrade kits
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
Dragging this out of the grave in the hopes you guys can help me?

I discovered a blown woofer in the passenger door of my 58 plate GTi.  I took a punt on this upgrade kit thinking I'd replace it all.
Took the door card off and replaced the woofer no problems BUT my car has a different smaller tweeter plug which doesn't fit the new tweeter and no crossover or midrange speaker to replace.
Is there a additional wiring loom I can pick up that will allow me to fit the cross over, mid range and upgraded tweeter or have I just wasted a lot of money to buy one woofer and a box of spares?

edit - kit is labelled 5MO 051 608 A

Thanks for any help.

Andy
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:06:52 am by AMc »

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 11:40:27 pm »
Where did you find the kit as I'm after one?

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 05:10:57 am »
We're talking about your front passenger door right?

The kit should look like this?..

It's a front door speaker kit for the 10 speaker system and should be plug n play if you have the 10 speaker system which your GTI should have?

I wouldn't mind one of these kits myself but not any cheap sets going these days

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:50 am »
Only early gtis had 10 speaker systems as standard. After late 2005ish it was an option and most cars rolled out with 8 not 10.

You can splice into the woofers wiring and run wires to the mids thats easiest to do and works fine.
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline AMc

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 09:57:22 am »
Where did you find the kit as I'm after one?

Kit came from eBay - I paid £70 Buy It Now from this seller but it looks like a one off.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Discounted-Genuine-VW-Audi-Parts/Audio-/_i.html?_fsub=287954319&_sid=881021179&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

We're talking about your front passenger door right?

The kit should look like this?..

It's a front door speaker kit for the 10 speaker system and should be plug n play if you have the 10 speaker system which your GTI should have?

I wouldn't mind one of these kits myself but not any cheap sets going these days

Yes, the front passenger door though now I've replaced a blown woofer I'd like to fit the whole kit in both doors.
That's the same kit - but there is no wiring for the cross over or the midrange and the tweeter plugs are different.

Only early gtis had 10 speaker systems as standard. After late 2005ish it was an option and most cars rolled out with 8 not 10.

You can splice into the woofers wiring and run wires to the mids thats easiest to do and works fine.
Yes, whoever specced the car from new only put in the RCD300 so I assume they didn't care about music :)  They didn't fit cruise either so perhaps they just wanted the performance.

I did figure it wouldn't be that big a deal to splice in the tweeter as the wiring there are only a couple of wires in each plug and one is marked with a black stripe so is presumably negative.
I can only get that plug wrong once :)

The cross over has 10 unlabelled black wires going into the plug alone so I'm a bit lost as to what to splice to where. 
I'd like to use the crossovers rather than push bass frequencies through the little mids if it can be done, otherwise I'll probably just leave them out as little speakers trying to push bass is probably worse than not having them in there at all.

I was hoping there was a simple loom to go with the upgrade kit but it looks like I'm out of luck.  I haven't actually spoken to VW so might see if the main dealer has any parts listed.

Thanks for replies guys, I'd almost given up on getting any help :)

EDIT here are some phone pics of the set up and the connectors.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/21oofn4m7vc6qti/AADCzxkjDABJbqret1oPonlia?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:23:24 am by AMc »

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:31 am »
Thats a shame, did you buy it a while ago as I can't find the completed item so I can ask them.

Hope you can find a simple kit for wiring, however with a wiring diagram I'm sure you could make a loom up

Offline AMc

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 10:22:45 am »
September last year.  The completed listing is dead I'm afraid you could always contact the seller through their shop?
Googling the part number "5MO 051 608 A" comes up with this in Germany - but expensive!
https://www.carfeature.de/en/vw-oem-ls-upgrade-kit-3-way-component-set-vw-golf-5-golf-plus.html

I had to wait ages for a good day with time to fit it - no garage available.
At the moment I have an all original set apart from one better woofer but I don't want to strip the doors down until I know how to fit the rest of the kit.
I could perhaps tour the breakers and take the looms out of the doors of an earlier GTi or the same with a 10 speaker kit but I struggle to find the will to deal with those guys let alone the time :(

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:09 pm »
They have replied to my message, and they don't know if they will get anymore.

Let me know how you get on with this as my golf has the 10 speaker set up, so if you ever want to sell and get something else let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hi89ftp7sebabd3780qqjp5l5i&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:08 pm »
Gladen do a kit. Not cheap though. But bet it would sound better than the standard kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gladen-ONE-200-3-Way-System/dp/B00IKMNQGA

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline AMc

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 04:25:47 pm »
They have replied to my message, and they don't know if they will get anymore.

Let me know how you get on with this as my golf has the 10 speaker set up, so if you ever want to sell and get something else let me know

Cheers I'll keep you in mind but don't hold your breath - I'm not keen to drill out the rivets on that woofer again - I must have rubbish drill bits because it took ages.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:01 pm »
Good find dazza, also a couple more to bear in mind...

Rainbow have a kit in their IQ Line range (not plug and plug though, wiring etc needed. Unless they also do a proper IQ line kit?

ETON have plug and play kits for front and rear

:happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hi89ftp7sebabd3780qqjp5l5i&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »
Those Gladen speakers look excellent.  :love:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hi89ftp7sebabd3780qqjp5l5i&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »
Just bought some 3 way Rainbow Vanadium component speakers for my mk5. Don't suppose anyone on here know where I could get them professionally installed? Tried doing something similar myself with a friend on my mk4 and it turned into a nightmare, so would rather have someone who knows what their doing install them this time.

‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:00 pm »
Hmmm maybe Gladen kit could be on the cards, would they need to be amped?