Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard to Jetta conversion... some pointers/advice please...  (Read 1539 times)

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
HI all

I've got a 2005/05 Mk5 tdi Sport and its got the bog standard bumper on it, no fogs, no nothing! very very boring...
anyways, i've managed to snag an original jetta bumper skin in pretty decent condition for £60 so i'm going to try to fit that to my golf once i source a set of grilles...

I've come across the GT conversion threads over on UK-MKIVS, but they all seem to say that i need a new 'carrier', i remember coming across a thread which said this wasn't necessary with some careful cutting of the bumper to fit around the existing 'standard' carrier... anyone know any more on this?

Also, your advice... would it be better with the chrome centre grille or the standard black centre grille? the car itself is a DBP (basically VW speak for 'black'!)

cheers
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: Standard to Jetta conversion... some pointers/advice please...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
right, chrome centre grill it is!

now i've just got to find that thread where someone who fitted the gt bumper did it without changing the whole damn carrier!

GONE

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »
You obviously didn't read the link I posted..........

Thats exactly what I did.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:20:39 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:28:17 pm »
Hi,

Well, I've bought a bumper skin of a 2008/08 GT, along with a full set of grilles off a 57 and a splitter and 'bumper mouldings' off an 07!

Apollo, I had a read through that thread and through your build thread too, what i meant was, i remember seeing a picture showing the exact bit that had to be trimmed off the original bumper in order to get it to fit the 'normal' carrier thats fitted to my 05....

I'm going to be giving the bumper and bits to the bodyshop at the end of the week when they arrive so I can get them to prep it all and trial fit it over the weekend, i'm assuming its obvious what needs to be cut because the bodyshop has a polish chap working for them who is WICKED when it comes to paint, only i hope he doesnt have to do the cutting!

Also, I've got the 'standard' fog lights, but they're the Projector H11 fog's which i retrofitted myself (rather stupidly before i thought about the bumper change) and I'm curious if these will fit the GT bumper fine?

cheers
GONE

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
Its pretty obvious once offered up which bits need to but trimmed back mate.

I fitted an OEM GT bumper to mine it took all of 15 mins.

The only fogs that will work in the OEM GT/GTI grilles are the GT/GTI fogs the facelift GT fogs won't work as they are a different shape.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:37:41 pm by apollo13 »

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:10:54 am »
can i just ask- if i wanted to convert gti front to jetta fron- is it just the centre grill with slats rather than honeycomb?
and the fog covers are same too just straight swap?
sorry op- mini thread hijack?
thanks
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"