Make a donation

Author Topic: Was there a VW in your life as a kid?  (Read 8942 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Was there a VW in your life as a kid?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46:09 am »
My parents have never had a VW, they don't seem to be loyal to any brand really.

Opel Manta, Ford Orion Ghia, Vauxhall Cavalier, Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi Shogun, BMW X5

My fascination with VW's came when I got my 1st car. It was a one of our old company cars which my dad had hung onto for me, a MK4 TDI. I absolutly loved it and only sold it as I had the chance of a cheap MK5 TDI due to my dad's mate moving abroad and needing rid of it. I've just bought a MK5 GTI a couple of weeks ago too so it's been nothing but Golfs for me so far

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 11:15:16 am »
I was piked up from the hospital as a new born baby in my dads  white small bumper mk2 8V GTI. My mum also had a mk1 golf cabriolet.
My dad had another 8v gti after that then got a 16v gti. definately got me into vw's. some of my earliest memories involve those cars. i have had two 8v mk2 gti's.
unfortunately no pitures of my dads cars, but here is one of my old ones.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:40 am »
I'm another who's Mum had a new Polo when I was a kid  :happy2:
Hers was a light blue mk1 Polo 1979 vintage bought new from Pollitts in Exeter.
She had it a few years before trading it for a white mk2 Polo C Formel E (Bluemotion for the 1980s!!!).
I threw up in the back of both of those cars a few times!!!! :grin:

My real love for VWs started in 1983 when the guy a few doors down picked up his mk1 Golf GTI Campaign model in red.  :drool:

Needless to say after that getting a cheap 1.0 mk1 Fiesta as a first car was never going to be an option, so despite that fact I'd passed my test a year or so before I bought my first car I held out until I could save up enough for a GTI. And I've owned them on and off ever since, all privately bought and yet I've never bought a brand new one.
Andy
7R

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 04:44:25 pm »
Theres some brilliant stories and pics on here so far , any more? I love anything like this me!!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Bennett vrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 06:14:36 pm »
my mum had an old polo breadvan when i was younger, the hand choke etc, 1 litre, always remember it not going up a hill local to me, after 2 attempts she gave up  :grin: She then had a 6n blue 1.4 polo, was a good wee car. What probably got me into dubs was my best mates mum having a mk2 16v big bumper gti, i loved it, used to always love getting lifts in it!  :grin: Im only 23 so not quite back in the days!  :signLOL:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 06:39:43 pm »
- VW 1200
- VW 1500 (Type 3)
- VW 1303
- Golf Mk.I (pic)
- Scirocco I GL
- Scirocco I GTI (pic)

:drinking:

Great pics mate , love the Golf!!

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline wigit

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:26 pm »
my love of VWs certainly didn't come from my father (avengers, ital, montego and citroen zxs), it came from my best friend at school whose parents were massive rally fans and heavily into VWs and the VWOCGB (the only VW club i am a member)

we used to do VW shows such as Inters and BVF and few road rallies in a tuned jetta, oddly cars i really remember are the Oxford Edition mk2s from late 80s/90s which is ironic as one of their founders is now one of my neighbours

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:55 pm »
Whoa! Mum's first car was a Riyad yellow Polo too! YTB 492T

Dad always had VWs - Beetles, Campers etc, still has a few now and is doing a resto on a '72 911T (whish is the same family as VW I guess).

My first car was a '67 ragtop 1500. I do like Dubs, but I'm not in that fanatical state of not appreciating anything else that some people get themselves into... I love all sorts of weird shiz.

Any pics???

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:52 pm »
No Dub here either..Company car family..Cortinas from start to finish,(last one was the crusader)... Probably why I have an aversion to the Ford badge.

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:22 pm »
Many in my Child hood!

My Dad's Brother had a White MK1 3dr GTI and a Red MK2 3dr on Bodies which was RAPID. His other Brother had a White MK2 8v 5dr and, traded it for an Oak Green J-reg MK2 16v 3dr Brand new!! Will never forget the day we went to collect it from VW that used to be in Stockwell, South West London. That would've been mine if my Cousin didn't steal the Keys and write it off  :fighting:. My Dad's Dad (R.I.P) had a White 5dr MK3 which he loved so much he shipped it to Jamaica when they went to live there.

In my Household Mum and Dad had a 5dr MK3 8v in Midnight Blue which was written off with Mum and my youngest Brother in (Which they came out ok from) and, then bought witht the pay out money a 16v 5dr MK3 in that Purple which I loved but, was stolen! They also had a REd Jetta too!

Mum went on to own a MK5 1.6 FSI and now a MK6 1.4 TSI and, I've had a Polo GTI 1.8T and now own my beloved 07' MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30 runiing 365bhp  :grin:
MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30|APR Stage 2+|Milltek Non Res TBE Decat|ITG Intake| Forge Twintercooler|Autotech HPFP Internals|Forge DV|R8 Oil Cap|AP Coilovers|WALK Kit|ECS Dog Mount| THS Mounts|Eibach F&R Anti Roll Bars|Sachs Uprated Clutch

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:55 am »
After the Beetle in the 70s my parents didn't have another for ages, but me mum is now on her 2nd or 3rd Golf. This follows on from a 5 series Beemer (E12), a couple of Volvos and numerous Japanese cars. She currently has a mk6 1.4T.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 09:36:54 am »
Whoa! Mum's first car was a Riyad yellow Polo too! YTB 492T

Dad always had VWs - Beetles, Campers etc, still has a few now and is doing a resto on a '72 911T (whish is the same family as VW I guess).

My first car was a '67 ragtop 1500. I do like Dubs, but I'm not in that fanatical state of not appreciating anything else that some people get themselves into... I love all sorts of weird shiz.

Any pics???

I'd have to go rooting in my parents loft and scan them, but there'll be some of everything from over the years.

The Polo was long gone before I learnt to drive, but we all loved that little car as kids as Dad could make it jump over a local canal bridge. There's been more Beetles than I can count through our family and Dad still has one now, along with the 911 a '66 split camper, a bay and a beach buggy with an interesting history..*

I learnt in an apple green 1303S (back on '94), as my Beetle wasn't ready on my 17th. My brother who is 2 years younger got a '76 1200 and my youngest brother still has his now which is a Baja.

*A while back my Dad bought a half-built beach buggy, we looked at the reg plate and thought it seemed familiar - turned out to be the floor and engine from Nick's 1200 that he sold about 12 years ago.
Sideways yo!

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 03:17:39 pm »
No VW's in my family history at all.  My parents are Peugeot owners and have been since 1990.  before that they had Morris Marinas :scared:  I'm the first and only VW owner.

FOR SALE!

Offline mattyw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »
My grandad had a orange vw bay window camper van which we used to go on holiday in,
he has owned it since new and still has it now parked up in my nan & grandads garage but my grandad has now gone senile
and hasnt moved since 2004,i havnt got any pics but its absolutely mint

Offline mkay99

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »
I remember my late aunt who practically raised me had an old beetle. She called it a 'foxy' lol. Loved that car as a child. And then my eldest brother had a mk1 gti in black when i was young...absolute beauty.....fell in love with with golf gti's at that point. Then a few years later he bought the clipper in white, absolutely mint. Since then a few mk3 and mk4 v6's, gti's, vr6's have crossed through the family. But the first couple of mk1s made me fall in love. Probably my fave car to date!!