Make a donation

Author Topic: iPhone 4 - unlocking...  (Read 3761 times)

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
Re: iPhone 4 - unlocking...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »
I take it I cant sync all my music unless its jailbroken?  :fighting:

Hey! You can do exactly the same as you would normally do with an un-jailbroken iPhone but MUCH more. Let me try and explain.

I have jailbroken my 4 and many of my friends iPods 3G's etc and you have different types of reasons for doing it. One reason is so you can unlock the carrier to let any network sim function properly. Two is to get certain apps that are unavailable through the app store (via Cydia: like wifi sync, myfi, 3G unrestrictor and the rest) that make your iPhone even more of a useful tool. And then you get the third type which is the pirate who wants all the apps for free. Once jailbroken you can download any app you want for free and you can also download free music and free films quite easily. I wouldn't advocate the third option as it is classed as illegal but the first two are not.

So don't worry about your phone becoming this flea infested buggy device because it will look and act the same as a normal iPhone. If all goes wrong you use a programme called 'Tiny Umbrella' to reset the firmware and use iTunes to do the rest and it will be back to normal and Apple have no way of finding out what you have been up to.

If you need any help or advice on what to do next I can talk you through it.

:happy2:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 07:49:53 pm »
It wouldnt matter if Apple did find out as jailbreaking does not affect warranty  :happy2:

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 08:20:25 pm »
It wouldnt matter if Apple did find out as jailbreaking does not affect warranty  :happy2:

Quite the contrary, it was made legal (a court in USA deemed it ok for users to crack there devices) last year, which was quite controversial, but Apple are fiercely keen to keep there devices un-tampered with.

All jailbreaking is an instant warranty VOID and trust me I watch this subject very closely.

http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-official-response-to-dmca-jailbreak-exemption-it-voids-your-warranty/52463

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »
I have various friends and contacts who have dealt with apple with jailbroken devices with no issues. Its a software not hardware mod and doesnt void warranty. Even if they did say no to something just update, clear the jailbreak and send it off, but its unlikely as it (as you said) was made legal as well.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »
That is interesting, I have not heard anyone say that before and I have not had any dealings with apple luckily but if I had to send my phone back I would reset the firmware in case jobsworth denied me my repair  :signLOL:

Im taking my Grandma to buy an iPad 2 tomorrow but don't think i'll be jailbreaking that so quickly  :scared:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »
Cheers for all that, not had a good play around with it yet as its still updating. Also its on the pay and go sim so just waiting to get it unlocked to get my Orange sim so the browsing can begin.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »
That is interesting, I have not heard anyone say that before and I have not had any dealings with apple luckily but if I had to send my phone back I would reset the firmware in case jobsworth denied me my repair  :signLOL:

Im taking my Grandma to buy an iPad 2 tomorrow but don't think i'll be jailbreaking that so quickly  :scared:

Not sure you can jailbreak the ipad2 yet.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »
She wouldn't even realise if it was lol. She just wants to watch iPlayer in bed  :grin:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 11:38:46 pm »
Save a few £££ and get an iPad then mate  :happy2:

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 02:49:05 pm »

Not sure you can jailbreak the ipad2 yet.

Not possible yet as its new hardware, Apple fixed the exploit used on the other devices