Make a donation

Author Topic: Why is everyone selling their car?!  (Read 19337 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Why is everyone selling their car?!
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2011, 08:04:19 pm »
Lots of confusion in here! Pretty sure tuners are getting nigh on (if not over) 300 ponies out of the GTI VI. Makes me wonder why the older engine got put in the R? I guess the E888 gets heavy on the carbons when the power gets upped?

It was already developed for big power (S3/Cupra) so there was very little development work to be done. E888 might re-map to high power but it doesnt/can't meet tough VW durability standards or Euro emissions legislation with just tweaked calibration. Beefing up the EA888 wouldve taken time and money, effecting the margins on R sales. Simple solution, tweak an existing, proven technology. Job done.

Nothing to do with engines lying around, they dont build anything they dont need! EA113 is considered to be a pretty strong engine. Over-engineered infact. The EA888 is cheaper and easier to build, how strong it is, remains to be seen.

To add to the confusion, I'm pretty certain there are EA888 variants with K03 turbos as well.
The EA888 strength, the block, head, all internals according to the official documents were designed and repeatedly extensivly tested for ">100KW/L" and torque of ">175Nm/L"
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Saint Steve

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2011, 08:05:03 pm »
being TSi doesnt make it twincharged.  the TSI can be either turbocharged or twincharged.  some of the 1.4TSI lumps are just single turbo.

Also the Golf R/Cupra R etc whilst saying TSI on the engine cover and in the brochure is not a TSI at all but a K04 TFSI as found in the S3.  you can tell that by the engine cover and relocated DV, amongst other things.

thw Golf GTI/octavia vRS 2.0TSI is a 2.0T with the turbo that hedge mentioned.  The engine is more tunable due to being more efficient but also having a much more efficient air intake and a much more powerful HPFP.  so no need for a stage 2+ HPFP remap.

The stage 1 2.0TSI cars  with REVO make pretty much the same as a stage 2 k03 TFSI.  When @ stage 2 they make around 280-300hp. so better for tuning.

Also worth noting that a lot of standard MKVI GTIs are dyno-ing above 'factory' power out-put

Not in that graph they dont :chicken:

That depends what dyno its run on :wink:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »
Lots of confusion in here! Pretty sure tuners are getting nigh on (if not over) 300 ponies out of the GTI VI. Makes me wonder why the older engine got put in the R? I guess the E888 gets heavy on the carbons when the power gets upped?

It was already developed for big power (S3/Cupra) so there was very little development work to be done. E888 might re-map to high power but it doesnt/can't meet tough VW durability standards or Euro emissions legislation with just tweaked calibration. Beefing up the EA888 wouldve taken time and money, effecting the margins on R sales. Simple solution, tweak an existing, proven technology. Job done.

Nothing to do with engines lying around, they dont build anything they dont need! EA113 is considered to be a pretty strong engine. Over-engineered infact. The EA888 is cheaper and easier to build, how strong it is, remains to be seen.

To add to the confusion, I'm pretty certain there are EA888 variants with K03 turbos as well.
The EA888 strength, the block, head, all internals according to the official documents were designed and repeatedly extensivly tested for ">100KW/L" and torque of ">175Nm/L"

Internals might be able to take it, but emissions are a totally different story. Not to mention varying fuel grades across Europe that all have to be considered. Bottom line, it was easier and cheaper to use the EA113. I'm sure project timescales contributed too. I've no doubt the EA888 could deliver similar power, reliably but to meet the R lanuch date and to keep within budget, the old engine was clearly the chosen route.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline ongoing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:03 pm »
Ive only just got mine, yes its expensive to run and not to bad on insurance. But to solve that i bought a daily runner..

Id have to be proper skint to sell the Gti

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »
Working out what mine will cost me next month,

Tax £235
MOT £40
Service + CAM belt and Waterpump £600ish?

Plus fuel its getting on for a grand!!!  :surprised: :surprised:

But still wouldnt sell...  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2011, 08:38:51 pm »
Working out what mine will cost me next month,

Tax £235
MOT £40
Service + CAM belt and Waterpump £600ish?

Plus fuel its getting on for a grand!!!  :surprised: :surprised:

But still wouldnt sell...  :happy2: :happy2:
:pomppomp: :pomppomp: :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :pomppomp: :pomppomp:

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 09:14:01 pm »
Got an Ed30, it's not great on fuel but then it wasn't bought to be frugal.
Honestly doubt it will ever get sold.
Had it from new for 4 years, been tweaking the car a bit with mods the last few months, reckon it's just the right car for me.

Know I'm biased but think that the Mk5 GTi was a real class car, (esp Ed30 & Pirelli) and hope that 15 odd years from now, they'll look like a smart Mk2 Golf Gti looks nowadays.

Those cars had no 'safety' features bar seat belts and yet still exert a pull, especially if you used to own one.
Now a Mk5 with quite a bit of passive safety to it will likely be protecting it occupants to some degree when it's a 20 year old car so won't be old death traps.
So when we've all got hybrid/fuels cell/solar/Judge Dread style cars in the future and super unleaded is rare and expensive (V-Power £1.40 a litre will seem peanuts) - we'll all love the sight of a GTi with a nice exhaust note rumbling past.

Of course by then Golf GTi (Mk '12') will be a nice small hatch about the size of a Phaeton, 1100cc turbo..and John Connor will be the US President.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
Got an Ed30, it's not great on fuel but then it wasn't bought to be frugal.
Honestly doubt it will ever get sold.
Had it from new for 4 years, been tweaking the car a bit with mods the last few months, reckon it's just the right car for me.

Know I'm biased but think that the Mk5 GTi was a real class car, (esp Ed30 & Pirelli) and hope that 15 odd years from now, they'll look like a smart Mk2 Golf Gti looks nowadays.

Those cars had no 'safety' features bar seat belts and yet still exert a pull, especially if you used to own one.
Now a Mk5 with quite a bit of passive safety to it will likely be protecting it occupants to some degree when it's a 20 year old car so won't be old death traps.
So when we've all got hybrid/fuels cell/solar/Judge Dread style cars in the future and super unleaded is rare and expensive (V-Power £1.40 a litre will seem peanuts) - we'll all love the sight of a GTi with a nice exhaust note rumbling past.

Of course by then Golf GTi (Mk '12') will be a nice small hatch about the size of a Phaeton, 1100cc turbo..and John Connor will be the US President.

.... :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: Brilliant!  :drinking: I feel exactly the same  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
Very imaginative post Bernhard  :congrats:  I think with the people you have on the forum who are all enthusiastic about cars the fuel cost is of less importance and certainly not a reason to be selling up a treasured possession, the MK5 has just got to the age where the first owners are selling on for a new car or project, you will have those who have owned their cars from new like cmdfire and RR that will keep there fettled machines for years to come and others who will always have the itch to move on to something different.  The forum wont end up empty you will just have a progression of people who pass through and the forum will evolve in the way there is a MK6 variation there will be a MK7 as well as other vag owners that share the platform.

I have had my car for just over a year now as a second owner and the journey for me is just begining and improving with the car doing everything I need at this time in my life.  So it wont be leaving me for some years, I have to enjoy all the bits ive added first  :ashamed:

And on a side note on a 2 hour drive yesterday from Woking to Northampton and back around M25 and up M1 the GTI managed 37mpg and well on for 400 miles out of this tank and I certainly wasnt taking my time getting up to the speed limit (admittedly the 50 average speed cameras helped but I wouldnt have managed that in my 1.6 focus, new plugs and coil packs have really transformed the car!  :driver:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Saint Steve

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 06:43:37 pm »
Although Cost of running my Ed30 is becoming an issue as a town runner or School Bus. There's always ways around it, like adding another 85bhp to my driveway, in forum of a new 1.2 Petrol fumes drinker.... the Hyundai i10 coming in the next 7 days..

At least i get to keep my prize possession, and get to use her when i feel the need to go Fast  :evilgrin:

Good times :star:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »
^^ is spending more money on another car really the answer what with extra insurance and running cost plus the purchase price and depreciation ?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:29 pm »
^^ is spending more money on another car really the answer what with extra insurance and running cost plus the purchase price and depreciation ?

:signLOL:

Saint Steve

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »

Erh, no, when then £2000 deposit was free money given (Sky TV shares Matured), and £110 a month on Finance is less then running £220 a month for the golf in Super unleaded currently.Free road tax first year then a huge sum of £20 a year for year 2 onwards. £200 fully comp car insurance.... 4 yr finance deal. Car has a 5 yr warranty..
So less wear n tear, less servicing, once a yr rather then twice a year currently with the GTi.

Fuel in the i10 is £80-90 a month on current mileage.. So im no worse off  :wink: nor better off

So in the grand scheme of things..................... not really  :P in my situation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:37:11 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 07:35:42 pm »

You can almost never go wrong spending money on another car.

...just ask me...  :signLOL:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »
Oh i didn't realise that the £2000 was free !! :notworthy:  :jumping: :jumping: :laugh: :laugh:

Erh, no, when then £2000 deposit was free money given (Sky TV shares Matured), and £110 a month on Finance is less then running £220 a month for the golf in Super unleaded currently.Free road tax first year then a huge sum of £20 a year for year 2 onwards. £200 fully comp car insurance.... 4 yr finance deal. Car has a 5 yr warranty..
So less wear n tear, less servicing, once a yr rather then twice a year currently with the GTi.

Fuel in the i10 is £80-90 a month on current mileage.. So im no worse off  :wink: nor better off

So in the grand scheme of things..................... not really  :P in my situation.