Make a donation

Author Topic: Reccomend a Mountain Bike for me  (Read 1804 times)

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
Reccomend a Mountain Bike for me
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:53:16 pm »
I am 30 and haven't ridden a bike since i was 15 and I have decided to get one and I have a budget of £300. I want suspension and good breaks and something to get very muddy on.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand I should be looking at or anywhere that has special offers on at the moment?

thoughts appreciated.

Beer

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
Re: Reccomend a Mountain Bike for me
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:51 pm »
I just bought one of these.

http://www.cycleking.co.uk/SALCAN0-NG030-27-SPEED-DEORE--5-8-product-242.html

In store I got it for £275 originally it cost £650.  It has one of the best gear and brake systems, hydrolic rear suspension and it looks the nuts in the flesh.

It's also great to ride.

Good luck

Offline Drapoon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »
I would avoid rear suspension at that price in my humble opinion.
I would suggest a specialized hardrock with disc brakes ( lower maintenance in muddy conditions).
Look out for a 2-3 year old specialized rockhopper sport.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:38:04 pm »
If you've less than a grand to spend, avoid a full suspension. Hardtail only at this price point; that's front forks only.

Have a look at our advice on this thread:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23164.0.html
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
As above, at £300 avoid full suspension at all costs. The bike will weigh a ton, the linkage will use crap bearings and the rest of the component set will be compromised to offset the cost of the frame.

With respect, having been out of the saddle for 15yrs, you aren't going to be doing anything that needs full-sus. If you want comfort, get a decent saddle, not a cheap full-suss.

I'd also suggest going second hand. If it must be new, look for '09/'10 models that have been reduced.

IMHO, at this price point, you wont go wrong with a Trek or a GT - Specialized and Kona are good too, but choice will be limited at this end of the market.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:24:25 pm »
I understand what you guys are saying, but the op just wants a good bike for his money, if you check out the components on the bike I posted you'll see they are good parts, yes the frame is not as good as a £1000 but I'm sure that's not going to bother someone who rides once a week. If the op is going to use it at a higher level then I guess he would need to spend more or settle for less.

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:24:03 pm »
Little bit more, but for me it would be the CUBE  :happy2:

http://www.cultracing.com/categories/Bikes/Mountain-Bikes/?sort=priceasc

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:40 am »
I understand what you guys are saying, but the op just wants a good bike for his money, if you check out the components on the bike I posted you'll see they are good parts, yes the frame is not as good as a £1000 but I'm sure that's not going to bother someone who rides once a week. If the op is going to use it at a higher level then I guess he would need to spend more or settle for less.

I think that most folk just want a good bike for the money. You can arguably have as much fun on a £50 bike as a £3k one. We've got a mate who comes to Dalby with us on a ten year old Apollo that weighs a ton. He huffs & puffs but has just as much fun.

However, anyone serious about a mountain bike needs to think very carefully at this price point. Suspension is limited & components not as durable, frames & wheels are heavier. The simple truth is that you will get what you pay for.

Go to your newsagent. Buy What Mountain Bike magazine. Read the buyers guide at the back. Decide.

There's a good point for going second hand & splashing out once you know you're really going to be serious about it. :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)