Make a donation

Author Topic: Surrendering the French to the German!  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Anatonic

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Surrendering the French to the German!
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:04:09 am »
Hi guys,

I'm Matt, 24 from nr Oxford and I'm currently looking at the 'sensible' option of getting myself into a MkV GTI / Ed.30 in the near future.  I originally had a Focus ST which I chopped in for the Renaultsport Megane DCI 175 (sports diesel) due to a mega commute for work.  I do miss the free-revving petrol engines and after securing employment locally, I no longer require the diesel!

For the past month I've test driven a range of cars including S2000, 350Z, Monaro, Mini Cooper Works GP and many more - and I'd had my heart set on nearly all of them after a test drive, but I have to be completely honest with myself and accept that I need a car with some practicality, reasonable fuel consumption and that is going to be reliable to a degree.  The GTI ticks the box on all these accounts but is still no slouch and it's my intention to get a remap too (I did on my ST) and no doubt this will open up a whole new world of fun when I do want a spirited drive!  The missus also used to have a Golf that she liked and as such, means she can drive it if she needs to...  :scared:

Unfortunately (or fortunately maybe?!) my company have me on a secondment from our UK office, to our base in Melbourne... so I'm actually writing this from Oz right now and as such, I'm trying to get as much research done before I get back to the UK and hit the ground running.  My Megane is expected to sell for around £8500 so initially I was looking at putting a little money towards getting a good example of a GTI - or should I really look at splashing out for an Ed.30?  There seem to be some good examples of GTIs which are higher mileage, but they do have very good service history's which is more important to me.

I think I'm pretty set on a DSG after test driving one before I left for Oz - I was really impressed - simply because of the ability to stick it in D when just pootling to and from somewhere, but then able to get a bit more involved with the tiptronic or S mode for spirited drives.  I haven't tried a manual, but I can't see me wanting it over a DSG - though it wouldn't bother me either way.

Anyway, I'll be sure to have a good scour through the forums and keep an eye on any GTIs for sale!  I'm back in June should anyone be looking to sell from the forums...

Take it easy!

Matt.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:46:48 am by Anatonic »

Offline Jack Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Born on Beat
    • Email
Re: Surrendering the French to the German!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:34:49 pm »
Welcome/g'day  :happy2:

Saint Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:37 pm »
Welcome :drinking:

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:51:34 pm »
Welcome  :smiley:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:37 am »
Hi & welcome mate :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:45 pm »
Hey and welcome!

If you can afford to stump it for an Edition 30 its a good move. Great cars. Then start saving for modding  :evilgrin:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
Gday and welcome, I think Nick's (NB07) Ed30 is still for sale and seems very reasonably priced. :happy2: Good luck with whatever you choose as I know you will not be disappointed

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »
 :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:22:18 pm »
Welcome to the cheapest car forum  :pomppomp:
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:56 pm »
They sell VWs in Oz, go for a test drive!

Offline Anatonic

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 02:32:01 pm »
True I ought to have another drive... so far I've only test driven a FPV Boss 335 GT and a HSV GTS over here (the new E3 version of the VXR8 in the UK) and wow is that something to drive.  The guys love their loud noisy V8s down here and they ain't half that.  Very lazy considering they're large 5 - 6.2l engines  (when you consider the power the BMW M3 GTS gets out of a 4.4 V8!)

Still, one of the guys at the office down here has a standard MkV GTI with DSG and he's back next Wednesday (Aussies get Friday - Tues off!) so I'll have to ask nicely for a pootle about... :D

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 06:31:21 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Don't forget that, mechanically, the Pirelli edition and the EDition 30 are the same.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:09:50 am »
Hi and Welcome along.... :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne