Make a donation

Author Topic: Whining noise  (Read 3312 times)

MPS

Whining noise
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:06 pm »
I was driving earlier on with my windows down and noticed a whine from the front end when I go around roundabouts, wheel bearing do you think?

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Whining noise
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »
Hi there, my car whined for about 10mths, although it was more when i was giving it some whelly, the engine just seemed so much louder, so i have recently had my front 2 wheel bearings changed for £412 by VW and the noise has gone, and along with 4 new tyres, the car runs so much better now and much quieter, so money very well spent in THIS instance....

Andrew

MPS

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:54:08 pm »
£412!?!?!  :surprised:  :scared:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »
yeap, for a set of 2 apparently....if you read my post below yours, you'll see that if all i had to pay was this £412.00, i'd be counting my lucky bloody stars!!! Next is likely to be a new steering rack, £1450.00, total in past 5 weekswill be c. £2500.00, so please feel slightly fortunate.... :scared:

MPS

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:35:56 am »
I take it £412 was including the labour cost? What sort of mileage was your car at when it failed? Cause mine's at 58k. I've heard of rear wheel bearings failing on the mk5 but not the fronts? How common is it for them to go?

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:34 am »
Without it coming across like my violin case has just come out, my car is a 05 plate, it's done 36k miles, ive had it since new, use nowt but V-Power, and yet my car appears to now be falling apart!! Yes, that £412.00 was all in, including VAT. I haven't heard of many cars needing their front bearings changed, but thats what that particlar problem must have been, because the whining has gone, the vibrations through the floor have gone, and car generally running much much better, so that's 1 plus i have at the mo!! Of course, having 4 new tyres probably helps too, but it was only after bearings changed that i noticed the huge improvement...

MPS

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:17:38 am »
Without it coming across like my violin case has just come out

:grin:

Thanks for the info and taking the time to respond, cheers!  :happy2:

Offline kian

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:08 am »
I think I have the same whiney problem!
Just about to take it to a garage...annoyingly though, I didn't think it would cost this much! :-O

Oh well, there goes my plans to add a few new bits to the car! :-(

Thanks for posting this.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:45:21 am »
I have noticed a whine from the front for years, 2 MOT's later and its still not a problem.  A 'comfort' issue rather than a serious issue at the moment.  Could be a different whine we're talking about of course ...

In any case I think mine is more gearbox related than the bearings ...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant