Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf R or Audi S3 ??  (Read 27610 times)

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
Re: Golf R or Audi S3 ??
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:12 am »

Still thinking mint ED30 less than 10k miles and garage it and keep the Merc  I think i can get a mint one on a 08 for circa £15k ish private.

Please point me in that direction, im really struggling to find a good spec in budget, seen two low mile examples at dealers, both with pretty basic spec but at £17k + no thanks
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:21 am »
Lookers Blackpool got a nice candy White golf r sub 30k

http://www.lookers.co.uk/mobile/used-cars/search/16977/volkswagen-golf

Needs an RNS though

Doesn't look expensive at 28k if it came at that, new edition 35 will be more thanthat to the same spec
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:51:48 am by DaveB1970 »

h4rdy

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:07 am »
I have specd one up £38k R GTI, I have ben told 10% disc and trade my Merc in plus circa £12k.

Still thinking mint ED30 less than 10k miles and garage it and keep the Merc  I think i can get a mint one on a 08 for circa £15k ish private.

I don't understand buying a car to garage and hardly use then sell at a loss for somebody else to enjoy the fruits of your labour?

Buy it, use it, enjoy it and either keep it or sell it knowing your hard earned money was used by you and not somebody else.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:59:15 am »
It would be the Golf for me. Sorry Audi lovers I just think it looks better.  :ashamed:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
i love a fully loaded s3 but i too would go for the golf R due to its rarity but have a good look around you can get alot of car for golf R money after all the golf R is only an edition 30 with haldex and minor cosmetic mods
get a low milage pirelli and hold on to it , thats what the ed30 was ment to be  :drinking:

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »
I agree the pirelli is the one to go for and i nearly bought one new myself. Just don't mess with it, in otherwords modify it as then its just another modified golf not a limited golf.

I don't understand buying a car to garage and hardly use then sell at a loss for somebody else to enjoy the fruits of your labour?
Buy it, use it, enjoy it and either keep it or sell it knowing your hard earned money was used by you and not somebody else.
Theres alot of that about sadly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:31:34 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Ifti

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 12:49:46 pm »
I like a bit of both TBH!!

I like the front of the Audi S3/RS3, but with the rear of the Golf R !!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
right now I wouldnt be looking at getting an S3, as been said too many around and despite the better finish as far as technology in the car its all getting a little long in the tooth (mainly refering to the RNS-E and compatible bluetooth etc) with the new A3 chassis coming out next year and spedning in the region of £30k i would either want an RS3 which will hold its value well or go for the R which will still be the current model in a years time.

Having said that I really dont like the standard cloth seats in the R the white patches dont do it for me!

I also agree with the other comments if your going to garage a car as a run around thenn a good spec and un-molested Pirelli would be the way to go as its rarer.

just my 2 pence if it were my money....

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 02:04:07 pm »
I think the mk7 golfs due second half on next year from all the talk on forums so makes no sence going for either of them as new cars unless your a diehard fan due to delivery times now been extremely long.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »
I think the mk7 golfs due second half on next year from all the talk on forums so makes no sence going for either of them as new cars unless your a diehard fan due to delivery times now been extremely long.

Will be new A3 followed by MK7 in 2012 on the new chassis, but S3's GTI's and R models will follow the main gang a year behind that so your looking at 2 years for hot MK7 and a year and a bit for a hot audi.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 02:27:15 pm »
What about the anniversary Golf? That should be out soon.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
What about the anniversary Golf? That should be out soon.

Should be announced soon as the VW schedule says 2nd quarter of this year. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Audi S3
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 12:07:24 am »
The Golf R would be the better choice. As with most things, Audi gets the car first and then VW refines it and makes a better car without the issues. :happy2:

Golf R's are as rare as hen's teeth, good used Golf R's are even rarer. New R's are relatively expensive against an S3 spec for spec.

I was at Elsecar mega-meet today and there were four white S3's there , but not one MKVI Golf, let alone an R. There was a Rising Blue Golf R in the carpark which looked better than any of the S3's though!! :innocent:

There were four there inc mine two facelift & two pre, prob only reason there was that many is it was a local meet to us all. IMO id have an S3 over and R anyday plus the money they are with the spec is a rip off as you can get an S3 with better spec for cheaper

Lookers Blackpool got a nice candy White golf r sub 30k

http://www.lookers.co.uk/mobile/used-cars/search/16977/volkswagen-golf

Needs an RNS though

Doesn't look expensive at 28k if it came at that, new edition 35 will be more thanthat to the same spec

Just under 30k and has cloth interior lol
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:09:53 am by Phil_T »

For Sale - Airlift Performance Struts & Accuair Elevel/Ilevel Management - 18" BBS E28 Magnesium Split Wheels, Carbon Fibre Front Splitter
Old Car 2009 Audi S3 365bhp Gone - New Car 2013 C63 Amg Now With 525bhp

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:07 am »
I thought I recognised your car Phil from the compomotives. There was also a chap there off VAGOC with the carbon front and rear lower bumper sections, which looked very nice too. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 10:21:26 am »
No contest, R every time for me.  I've never liked the shape of the S3 (or A3), the side profile and rear end of the car especially is horrible imho.