Make a donation

Author Topic: Alarm no sound  (Read 41061 times)

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Alarm no sound
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 09:28:08 pm »
I replaced the alarm siren on mine not so long ago and its a simple job with the right tools.....but......here's what I learnt.

Once you take off the wheel liner, you DO have to drill out the rivets that hold it on. It's held in a metal carrier.

You need 6.4mm rivets! and unless you are The Hulk you will also need a Lazy Tongue Riveter. It was a pain getting these rivets but I have a bag of them now. You will need 2 of them.

The alarm siren is about £90 from TPS. It's simply a plug and play component.

I hope this helps. :happy2:

Thanks mate, read the codes and it's still the same Alarm Horn - No communication...etc

Loose connection possibly?

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:28 pm »
This is just what I had. My bet is its the siren :happy2:. If you want to check the connections, you have to drill out the rivets anyway to get to it.

If you get stuck finding the rivets - I can send you some :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:34:08 pm by bodger00 »

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »
This is just what I had. My bet is its the siren :happy2:. If you want to check the connections, you have to drill out the rivets anyway to get to it.

If you get stuck finding the rivets - I can send you some :happy2:

How much is the rivet gun?

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 12:04:06 am »
Does the case have to be riveted back on? Is there enough space to work in and stuff? Might buy a rivet gun if it's still straight forward enough, can any damage be caused by drilling out the old ones?
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011, 08:33:37 am »
The rivet gun is about £20 BUT be careful that it accepts 6.4mm rivets! Most don't :happy2:

The alarm siren is in two parts, the siren itself and a metal holder with holes in to rivet this to the inner wing.
The alarm siren is bolted to the metal holder. You can't get the siren out without drilling out the rivets that keep the holder on.

Space isn't too bad and the job is quite simple with the right tools.

"Can any damage be caused by drilling out the old ones?" not unless you go and drill something other than the rivet. :happy2:

Where are you based?

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »
The rivet gun is about £20 BUT be careful that it accepts 6.4mm rivets! Most don't :happy2:

The alarm siren is in two parts, the siren itself and a metal holder with holes in to rivet this to the inner wing.
The alarm siren is bolted to the metal holder. You can't get the siren out without drilling out the rivets that keep the holder on.

Space isn't too bad and the job is quite simple with the right tools.

"Can any damage be caused by drilling out the old ones?" not unless you go and drill something other than the rivet. :happy2:

Where are you based?

Cheers Bodger...will get a replacement in a week or two. Get along to Slough TPS.

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2011, 09:10:05 pm »
mine is the same did the new siren fix this?
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »
It did for me :happy2:

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »
Will hopefully sort this out end of month and this is the problem, if not then i would have wasted cash haha, will have to get a rivet gun adn rivets then.

Based in Blackpool NW matey you?
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
new siren for me it is then  :happy2: thanks  :drinking:
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda

Offline jonm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 12
    • Staffs-VW
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2011, 09:13:41 am »
news to date... still not sorted it... by suddenly my LED in the door now works like it used to???

Offline andyceb

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:56 pm »
This is a really interesting thread.  It appears I have this same problem on my new Mk5 GTI  :sad1:

I bought the car and didn't even think to check the alarm, doors all lock and unlock fine no sound (which is the same as my fathers passat)

I took the car to Midland VW for an inspection and they cleared all fault codes except "alarm horn no communication" which got me thinking about whether the alarm works at all!  Turns out it doesn't, like other people it just flashes the indicators at you!

Then the following day the car quiet subtly beeped at me when I locked it and double bleeped when I unlocked it  :confused: I guess it must have started working again?  Then about a day later it stopped beeping  :laugh:

I am a little concerned that whoever owned the car before obviously played with VAGCOM to setup the un/locking chime and I wonder what else he has changed... is there anyway to revert all settings back to OEM?  To add to confusion I have a MFD2 retro fitted (also by previous owner) which I understand needs to be coded so will it stop working if I set all back to factory?

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 12:05:26 am »
Guys,
I haven't actually checked my alarm, but after this thread I'll do it 1st thing in the morning.
It's a little concerning, but the beeps have never worked when locking or unlocking my car when I bought it last year.  I was told though that some models had the beeps disabled due to noise complaints  :confused: is this a load of cobblers?
That's why I left it and assumed it was normal  :scared:
I don't have any errors in VAG, and I don't believe anything has been disabled there either!  :sad1:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:17 am »
You can have the alarm chirps activated/deactivated. The only ones I've seen activated is where someone has had it activated by vcds or by going to the dealers.

Not having activated means nothing in relation to whether the alarm works.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.