Make a donation

Author Topic: Remap to increase mpg?  (Read 20558 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Remap to increase mpg?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 09:52:02 am »
If your doing motorway miles you would be better off spending your money on fitting the bluemotion golf under body aero trim to improve MPG rather than re-map, The bruce had a long thread on it but lower the car aero under body bits and pieces would help but only 10-15% but cheaper than a map.

Have they been proven to work? Im sceptical.

Not been proved no, but has more chance of improving fuel consumption at motorway speeds IMHO than a remap and the engine cover is £30 and provides additional protection from items entering the engine bay and sub frame as well.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:17:37 am »
If your doing motorway miles you would be better off spending your money on fitting the bluemotion golf under body aero trim to improve MPG rather than re-map, The bruce had a long thread on it but lower the car aero under body bits and pieces would help but only 10-15% but cheaper than a map.

Have they been proven to work? Im sceptical.

Not been proved no, but has more chance of improving fuel consumption at motorway speeds IMHO than a remap and the engine cover is £30 and provides additional protection from items entering the engine bay and sub frame as well.

this sounds pretty intriguing.... i'm doing about 300 or so motorway miles a week and this sounds like quite a good idea....

do you have any more information/links on this?

apologies for the thread jack:)
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:16 am »

Did you choose the V12 Vantage based on it's consumption? :signLOL:

.... :signLOL: :laugh: :signLOL: Exactly my immediate thought!

@ Phil (OP):

C'mon, surely you enjoy that Aston V12 the most when you're on the throttle and mpg ain't got anything to do with it and shouldn't matter one iota. Otherwise is that splendid Aston in the drive just to impress the neighbours?

You mention a gain of 10 mpg and that's a huuuuge jump. Don't you think the manufacturers would have achieved that if they could? - It would sell them many more cars.

It's not great for the longevity of an engine to milk its torque all the time just as it's not great to continually redline it. If you're concerned about mpg then it's perhaps time to change your car - Diseasal? Remaps are designed to increase power and performance and more power always results in less miles per gallon.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 08:14:40 am »

Did you choose the V12 Vantage based on it's consumption? :signLOL:

.... :signLOL: :laugh: :signLOL: Exactly my immediate thought!

@ Phil (OP):

C'mon, surely you enjoy that Aston V12 the most when you're on the throttle and mpg ain't got anything to do with it and shouldn't matter one iota. Otherwise is that splendid Aston in the drive just to impress the neighbours?

You mention a gain of 10 mpg and that's a huuuuge jump. Don't you think the manufacturers would have achieved that if they could? - It would sell them many more cars.

It's not great for the longevity of an engine to milk its torque all the time just as it's not great to continually redline it. If you're concerned about mpg then it's perhaps time to change your car - Diseasal? Remaps are designed to increase power and performance and more power always results in less miles per gallon.

:popcornsoda:

I remember talking to you whilst at Miglior detailing, whilst you were having the inside of your windows
cleaned on your ED.  You mentioned the AM going back to Manufacturer for some work, Jay remembers it too, all ok?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fofc8bobu71or1llq8ujd8oeu4&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
Robin... i suppose the OP could get his Aston Martin converted to LPG!   :grin:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »
All I can say is POSSIBLY... i.e. it could be possible...

I've had my Ed30 Revo Stage 1 for a week and have dropped 0.2mpg overall  and have had more "plays" than usual... On my journey to work I can still average just above 40mpg on a quiet run... I think more quiet runs and less plays I could gain a MPG or twoover standard...

Dom
Diesel Daily Hack.