Make a donation

Author Topic: VXR at the nurburgring  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
VXR at the nurburgring
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:01:22 am »
one of you posted the video of the VXR going off the nurburgring causing a lot of damage to the car, my question is was the guy just driving the car too hard or is it something in the design of the car that meant it is prone to not cornering well? I have heard that VXR models dont corner that well but wasnt sure of the reason behind this. Thanks

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: VXR at the nurburgring
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:30:48 am »
If it's the video I'm thinking of (white Nurburgring edition VXR crash into a barrier and nearly taking out a porsche when coming back on to the track) then the driver was carrying wayyyy to much speed into the bend.

Offline Rob84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:06:43 am »
one of you posted the video of the VXR going off the nurburgring causing a lot of damage to the car, my question is was the guy just driving the car too hard or is it something in the design of the car that meant it is prone to not cornering well? I have heard that VXR models dont corner that well but wasnt sure of the reason behind this. Thanks

Yes, the whole car is designed to attract people who cant drive (lairy bodykit, silly exhaust etc) hence why the car hit the barrier  :evilgrin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:06:22 am »
Too much speed and not enough talent in a car that does understeer = inevitable crash.

From the video and the thread I read, the guy was carrying waaay too much speed and it was his first trip to the 'ring. He was also attempting to get a sub 10 minute lap (B to G), which he was boasting to his friends on the forum that he would get. I know I'm not one to preach, but the guy simply overcooked it with too little talent and knowledge. The Astra VXR isn't a poor handling car, but like all FWD cars it will understeer at the limit and the corner he came off at has caught out many a track enthusiast. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:12:19 am »
He is still a tonk driver though

I took that same bend at over 160mph................

In a RedBull X2010 on GT5 :evilgrin:

Offline nick_johnson

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:42:07 am »
I believe the guy was a in the Army and based out in Germany, therefore spending one of his weekends off blasting round the ring. He had made the fundamental mistake to trying to do a timed lap and ran out of talent, entering the corner at speeds even his (Super Dupa) Astra VXR couldn't do anything about.

The last I heard although covered by a German insurance policy he was not covered for the accident and was facing a total bill of close to £15,000 which included money owing on his car and also damage sustained to the barriers and closure time to the ring.

I thing that the important lesson here is to respect and enjoy the experience which the ring offers but drive within your limits, I can assure you that Ron Dennis or Sir Frank Williams isn't going to be waiting in the paddock when you return from a fast timed lap with a contract to drive one of their car in next years Formula One World Championship.

Nick   

MK5 Golf - GT 1.4 TSI

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:50:41 pm »
^ to further elaborate, he made a tool of himself post-accident on a vauxhall forum, bragging about timing etc. The insurance company who covered him read it and refused to pay out on the policy. Cost him the car's finance and the track bills.

Lesson here, other than learn to drive, watch what you say on forums.

Oh, it was driver error. He went in hot, understeered, wound more lock on and went straight on. He possibly could have saved it (or at least just nose ended it) if he lifted off everything and took the lock off, as they teach you in advanced courses.  The cars aren't that bad, other than the torque steer.
Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:20:10 pm »
Oh, it was driver error. He went in hot, understeered, wound more lock on and went straight on. He possibly could have saved it (or at least just nose ended it) if he lifted off everything and took the lock off, as they teach you in advanced courses.  The cars aren't that bad, other than the torque steer.

LOL, from what I saw in that video, even Micheal Schumacher couldn't have saved it once he was in the corner :driver: :signLOL:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »
LOL, yeah - maybe more saved it being as bad as it was....
Sideways yo!