Make a donation

Author Topic: Build thread 2.0 140 GT TDI  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Jibba

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Build thread 2.0 140 GT TDI
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
Hi everybody!

I’ve owned my golf for just over a year now and so far it’s had:

A nice trip to Manchester for a full Milltek to be fitted,
K&N filter
Tinted rear windows
Stubby ariel
Custom Remap to 187BHP-450Nms
AP Coilovers on a sensible height.
GTI sideskirts
Painted rear Valance

Onto the problems…. A horrible rattle started to come from under the car.  After months of back and forward to the dealer and them looking at me and saying is this standard and me nodding and trying not to look them in the eye they finally noticed that my oh so lovely milltek had snapped its bracket and needed welding back in place.

RELIEF! No more rattles…BUT THEN…

Due to the high amount of torque I suffered a lot of clutch slip and a new rattle started which I presumed to be the DMF, rather than de-map and lose torque like I should have done, I had a paddle clutch fitted with DMF and was told this should be fine to handle the torque.

I had this done 200miles away as it saved me a lot of money but wish I hadn’t, first off it took 10hours for some unknown reason and my car was ransacked, a new pack of jelly babies that the Mrs had opened were suddenly empty…She was not happy which made the trip home a nightmare….Women and their jelly babies! I instantly thought BUGGER this looks like a botch job here maybe I should have paid the extra to get the peace of mind. But touch wood it’s been ok so maybe they deserved the sweets.

Last month came the cars 4th birthday so I played it safe and got the cambelt changed and waterpump also had the oil and filter changed and that’s its service for the year.

Last week a new rattle started and it was terrible, in idle and through the gears I dreaded the worst but after taking it back to the garage they found that it was just another bracket from the exhaust had completely split.

It’s been an odd journey so far. Anyway, Nice to meet you all and I will be adding as often as I can, Plans next are the full brake upgrade to GTI brakes that I have in the garage and Darkened headlights.

Now for some pictures. None of my pics are that good as they are mainly phone cameras and a rush job but everyone loves pics!!

Before the coilovers, It's not that low now but I have to be sensible with the height.

At GTI international last year, I was probably the most stock car there but it was good to get some ideas.

The remap.

On a diesel it's very nice and subtle but when you give it the beans it has a nice deep burble to it. This is the full unit including larger downpipe.

Coilovers on, I'm happy with the height maybe a bit lower one day.

Most recent image:
I know it's terribly blurred but it's just to show the front grill as I put in a black VW badge.

That's all for now. I'll make some effort to take some arty pics as I'm jealous of everyone else having them.

All feedback and ideas welcome.

Offline mrbeck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
Re: Build thread 2.0 140 GT TDI
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »
Stance looks good mate.  Proper sleeper car!
2008 VW Golf GT Sport TSI 1.4 (170PS)

OEM + Cruise Control (Retrofit), R36 Omanyt 18" Alloys, R32 Rear Lights, VW Polo Stubby Aerial, VW Front & Rear Mud Guards, Team Heko Wind Deflectors, Dubmeister Pressed Plates, ABT Wolfsburg Plate Surrounds, Autoform Boot Liner.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:10:49 pm »
Looking good mate, very stealth.

I need to fit a full Milltek at some point, how much was it?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:30:24 pm »
Very nice looking  :happy2:  can't beat the sound of that milly when you put your foot down

Offline Jibba

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:04:29 pm »

I got it from Awesome was about 550-600. I think the prices have gone up a little on the downpipe now though.

Maxitrol you are too right... Tunnels are fun!

Cheers guys!

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »

I got it from Awesome was about 550-600. I think the prices have gone up a little on the downpipe now though.

Maxitrol you are too right... Tunnels are fun!

Cheers guys!

I paid £530 today including the GTI rear valance but without the downpipe...maybe I should have bought the downpipe too. I'll have to have a look at that!

Do you have the resonated or the non res system?

By the way, Your GT is looking nice, get some decent pics up  :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:14:08 pm by 81lly »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:40 pm »
had mine fitted at awesome-turbo back just short of £700 a month ago

Offline Sharif

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »
Lovely car, with the remap it must be rapid.