Make a donation

Author Topic: Next car (yet another thread!)  (Read 7465 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Next car (yet another thread!)
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »
As some of you may know I am selling my 1.6FSI golf for something with a bit more punch. I have been looking at the following cars so far as possible replacements:

GTI
Audi A3 2.0 T S-Line
Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line (170)
Mini cooper S

Is there any others to be looking at, my requirements are insurance; GTI is 2.5k where as the S line 2.0T (which is apparently faster) is 1.7K and the diesel is 1.3K. I will not be putting big millage on it as I have a company car. I plan on opting out of the tax on my company car and only use it for work. What would you be looking at in my shoes?

I am 19 that is the reason for the insurance.  :sad1:

Cheers :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Next car (yet another thread!)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:35:24 pm »
Oh I also forgot to mention any views on the above cars are welcomed. Are the 2.0 T engines in the GTI and A3 the same? What would a remap do to the cars performance. Obviously I know about the GTI from this site but not to sure of the others :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:51:31 pm by ollie288 »

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • booosting... :)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »
Gti  :happy2: ,edition30  :pomppomp:
REVO ST2+ Edition30 -sold

soon 2015 Golf R :)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »
I've been where you are now (I'm 23 and had 12 cars). If I was you I'd keep the Golf and wait until your 21 and get a GTi or Edition 30. I know it seems a long way and your mates probably have quicker / better cars than you at the moment, but it's worth the wait.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »
GTI all day long.

Fail that then the Cooper S. Fantastic little car. You will find yourself turning the radio off to listen to the supercharger.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:38:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  :happy2:

I would like a GTI but I am not willing to pay 2.5k to ensure one. I am warming to the 2.0l t audi. I like the looks and interior plus they are faster than the GTI (according to figures on the net) Audi 147mph and 6.9 to 62. I think I will be going to test drive one and see what I think. If the insurance was the same (1.7k for A3) I would go for the GTI.

Yeah I like the cooper s but I cant get past the image it portrays to many people!  :scared:

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  :happy2:

I would like a GTI but I am not willing to pay 2.5k to ensure one. I am warming to the 2.0l t audi. I like the looks and interior plus they are faster than the GTI (according to figures on the net) Audi 147mph and 6.9 to 62. I think I will be going to test drive one and see what I think. If the insurance was the same (1.7k for A3) I would go for the GTI.

Yeah I like the cooper s but I cant get past the image it portrays to many people!  :scared:

I agree with you completely, plus girls love A3s :wink:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:37:53 pm »
Depends what you want from a car I suppose. I just love how relatively cheap you can get them for and how good out of the box they are.

Cant argue with a TDI though, still get some nice power and retain good MPG. Defo go for a few test drives though. Only good thing about my job is that I get to drive numerous amounts of cars and have the chance to give them a little spirited drive. Fell in love all over again today when I took the DSG GTI for a blast over the moors  :evilgrin:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:42 pm »
I'd have taken the A3 170 TDI FWD every time Ollie, until I heard they're poor on fuel and rarely hit their own mpg stats. More like GTI MPG, give or take a little from what I hear from some owners which surprises me.

I quite like 330Ds but I don't need the size and I'm not sure the BMW 3 series image appeals. The stats are tempting though.
Looked at 120D's yourself? They come well kitted and map well, retaining good economy.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:28:28 pm »
I'd have taken the A3 170 TDI FWD every time Ollie, until I heard they're poor on fuel and rarely hit their own mpg stats. More like GTI MPG, give or take a little from what I hear from some owners which surprises me.

I quite like 330Ds but I don't need the size and I'm not sure the BMW 3 series image appeals. The stats are tempting though.
Looked at 120D's yourself? They come well kitted and map well, retaining good economy.

Thats interesting Pete! The stats say around 55mpg I think! Yeah my old man has a 3 series, they are nice cars but like you, I do not need the size. I really dislike the 1 series hatchbacks! I hate the shape of them.  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »
Are the Audis going to be as easy to retro fit things to like golfs? I loved my xenons on my golf and would like them on my next car, but finding one with the right spec is proving quite difficult.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:35:12 pm by ollie288 »

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
I'm about a year away from being in a very similar situation as you mate. That said as you can tell I've already been looking.

Stats wise I think the 330d walks it as said. Even the coupes look too big though in the e92s. Agreed on the 1series. The 1 coupes are tasty but still pricey.

It may not be gospel re. the 170 a3 efficiency but certainly worth asking a few owners. Combined its meant to hit 48mpg but apparently that's only met on a long run. I think a 140tdi with a milltek and map would be a cheaper bet, seeing anything up to 190bhp apparently.

It's a posh Golf as I've been told several times so mods should be as easy and approachable, yep dude :happy2:
Pete

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »
New Ibiza Bocanegra/Cupra is a for some reason classed as group 4 by insurance companies and so can be insured for peanuts. Thats your best bet for cheap performance and IMO perfect car for a 19 year old. Cheap to run, cheap insurance, looks good, looks your age, fun to drive and once stage 2 probably as quick as a stage 1 ed30.

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:30:32 pm »
if you are going A3 go TDI as a 2.0t will depreciate like a stone, also the 2.0T is no GTI (i had one) the TDI was a more honest car imho

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 02:13:27 pm »
Are the Audis going to be as easy to retro fit things to like golfs? I loved my xenons on my golf and would like them on my next car, but finding one with the right spec is proving quite difficult.  :happy2:

Forgot to say Ollie the xenons would have to be a retrofit too. I've only ever seen four A3 S-Line tdis with factory xenons for sale in a long time of looking. Usually high mileage too  :sad1:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:09:31 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete