Make a donation

Author Topic: Ahhhhhhh! More rust! Rear wing this time!  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Ahhhhhhh! More rust! Rear wing this time!
« on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
Hi folks,

As title states, just found rust forming on the edge of the rear nearside wing (where it meets with bumper) of my GTI!!! It's only done 23k.

Had the car for three months. When I got it I quickly found rust starting on both front wings. VW sorted it as a 'goodwill gesture'. Now I find this. Contacted local VW and they are going to apply to VW again. The manager stated he couldn't promise anything as the front is a recognised design fault. I'll post an update with how I get on.

I love the car but corrosion appears to be an issue and pain in the butt! My mk4 golf GTI was 10 years old, did 145k with no rust on the bodywork at all!

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Ahhhhhhh! More rust! Rear wing this time!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »
UPDATE- Well, took the car in and they've checked the arch, photographed etc. They are now applying to VW to see if they'll pay out to sort the problem.

Today whilst claying the boot, WTF!!! I found rust on the boot under the handle/VW badge! It's rusting from the inner lip and bubbling through. I can't believe this!! Why is a car of this quality rusting like this? I've had a mk3 and mk4 gti an they were mint with no real corrosion issues.

I've just read a thread here on 'whether to by high mileage car or not'. Well, I used my mk4 every day for 5 and a half years resulting in 145k on the clock. The car was 10 years old and had no rust at all. I've now bought a 5 year old mk5 with only 20k on the clock, full vwsh and everything that can rust has!! Vehicles are meant to be used not left sitting about.

I've now emailed the after sales manager to report same. See what he says.

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:32:07 pm »
I'm guessing the 12 year corrosion warranty won't cover it? As that covers rust starting from the inside out.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »
You have rust in all the major areas that the MkV goes in. Mine has the front wheelarch rust , none anywhere else (yet!).  What year is it , mine is a 2005.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:36:44 am »
am surprised that any mk5's are showing signs of rust to be honest.

Offline coolhands

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »
where was the car last registered? Scotland? In the past I had a vehicle from scotland that was worse than down south cars for rust. Or maybe Isle of Wight?

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »
Could be previous unknown crash damage and poor repair?

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:13 pm »
No , thats where they go , rear of rear wheelarch where it meets rear bumper , front wheelarches on front wings and round the rear VW badge. If you search online you will find its common on the Mk5 and Jetta.

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Saint Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:29 am »
^^^ it's not widespread though is it?   :confused:

yes a few have, but not overly..

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »
^^^ it's not widespread though is it?   :confused:

yes a few have, but not overly..

I think its more common than not on 05 and older golfs and will be getting more apparent as time goes on.  My car has been collonite'd since the day I got it and it didn't do anything to stop the rust on the front arches.  It starts from inside the wheel arch so not much you can do unless you maybe take the arche liners off and put some waxoyl on.

I imagine geography will accelerate the process for some with scottish roads probably getting more grit in the winter for longer or for those living beside the sea but its only a matter of time really  :sad1:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:10 pm »
UPDATE -

In answer to a few questions. My Golf is an 05 and in Scotland. It also lived near to the sea. All factors why my car has had all the common corrosion areas. Oh, the car is totally undamaged and has never been damaged.

Well, I was told by VW the rear nearside arch corrosion was a warranty issue and they would repair however they refused a warranty claim/goodwill gesture for the tailgate. I wasn't happy with this so complained to VW customer care and opened a dispute.

Two months later, numerous phone calls, enquires with managers, warranties, bodyshop manager they agreed to repair the tailgate at their expense.

Both area's of corrosion have now been repaired.

So in total, my mk5 has had both front wings, rear nearside wing and tailgate painted due to corrosion. The car is currently  sitting with only 26.5k on the clock.

What a saga to say the least.

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:05:17 pm »
I read on another forum that some guy was looking to take out the wheel arch liners etc and thoroughly waxoyl the wings.
Anyone on here tried this or even modify the liners so they don't rub?

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:08:22 pm »
When you take your car to VW for front arch repair the bodyshop already has instructions to cut a few mm's or so off the liners so they no longer rub.