Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgrading GTI standard stereo?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline duncan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Upgrading GTI standard stereo?
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:47 am »
am thinking of making a couple of upgrades to the stock stereo, dont want to spend crazy money - budget would probably be around £600ish

any recommendations? have seen people use the large pioneer head unit replacing the stock one.

cheers

Duncan
Candy white GTI, MRC tuning Remap - the rest will remain standard...

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Upgrading GTI standard stereo?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:25:23 am »
It all depends on what you want out of the system!

Do you want to use your IPOD with it?
Do you want Bluetooth for using it as a handsfree?
Do you want navigation?
Do you want it to play DVD and DVD recordable discs? (this means you can have 4.7gig of audio music on one disc!)
Do you want single or a double DIN unit?
Do you want a touchscreen?
etc
etc

Also are you sticking with the stock speakers?
If you are, then there is no point in going for a high quality head unit as the OEM speakers will not be able to do the sound output justice.

Lots of parameters to know :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Wolfie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:33:25 am »
Hi Duncan

Was looking at the same type of upgrade and came across this - I think its the newer model of Hurdys impressive set up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenwood-DNX-8220-BT-DVD-CD-GPS-Navigation-Bluetooth_W0QQitemZ140306564420QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item140306564420&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Obviously cant vouch for the seller etc but looks within your budget for now anyway!

Dont want to hijack the thread but to Hurdy regarding what you just posted - I have the MFD2 unit at the moment - would i be better off upgrading the speakers for a better sound set up - had the BOSE set up in my last car and was happy with that!!

Candy White GTi, Custom Code Remap, Forge DV, Green Cotton Panel Filter, 18's , Colour Coded.  NOW SOLD.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:53:02 am »
Wolfie,

If you upgrade the speakers and keep the head unit you will see a small improvement in sound quality, but the OEM units all use DSP - digital sound processing. The processing system restricts certain frequencies at different volumes, due to the fact that the stock speakers cannot handle these frequencies as they are relatively poor quality and cheaply built. Even very basic aftermarket speakers would be an improvement. To get the best out of youe sound set-up on a budget I would go for an aftermarket headunit, with at least 2 way component speakers up front and a pair of coax speakers in the rear. If you want decent bass then you'll need a sub and amp. :happy2:

You don't have to go overboard to get a decent sound out of your set-up :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:34:54 pm by Hurdy »
Golf R gone.

Offline Wolfie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:10:37 pm »
Hurdy,

Im loathe to change the OEM look or lose much if any of the boot - would be just changing the stock speakers for decent aftermarket speakers and maybe a discreet amp and sub be worth my while or expense?

Also if I went for an aftermarket head unit I would want one similar to yours and that = £££££££££s

Sorry Duncan but Im sure you will benefit from hurdys answers too as its still on thread  :happy2:
Candy White GTi, Custom Code Remap, Forge DV, Green Cotton Panel Filter, 18's , Colour Coded.  NOW SOLD.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:26:00 pm »
binning my standard speakers was done within 3 days of owning my car, definately worth doing  :happy2:

Offline Wolfie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:32 pm »
did you keep the OEM head unit VC and were the replacement speakers like for like  - just better quality!  whats are the recommended speakers which just simply replace the stock speakers guys? 

im useless with owt like this so would need them installing too! just dont want a mess made of the car - as it is just with better sound etc - too much to ask !  :signLOL:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 12:43:36 pm »
The usual suspects for swapping the OEM speakers to are:-

Rainbow
Hertz
JL
Alpine

Although others will fit too. :smiley:

As for fitting, it will depend on where you are based, but these guys know what they are doing (not the cheapest, but offer guarantee and moneyback offers if not satisfied) and are the only ones I'll let touch my car. :happy2:

Their intro video is definitely worth watching.

http://www.fourcars.co.uk/four_masters.php
Golf R gone.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:47:35 pm »
boils down to taste and budget. i went for hertz up front and focal V1 polyglass in the rear, like for like (ish) for fitment but thats where the comparison stops with standard ones. i like things to look factory. head unit i plumbed for the avic900, very nice piece of gear

Offline Wolfie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:30 pm »
Hurdy,

Spent some time on the Four Masters website - seem to know their stuff and their is a delaer local!  Which package did you go for  - one of the three VW Golf standard packages (joy, heaven or expert) or something more bespoke!

My only concern (other than price!!!) would be would  the MFD2 unit do justice to all the speakers, amp and subwoofer !!  :confused:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:54 pm »
None of those packages match mine as they have no rear speaker options.

Look in my project page for the install in more detail :happy2:

I'd agree that the MFD2 unit wouldn't do a good aftermarket speaker package full justice, given the price you'd be paying for quality speakers.

You also have to realise that a bespoke rear arch install (rather than a big sub box taking up half the boot) costs around £600 minimum. :surprised:

Golf R gone.

Offline Wolfie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »
Hurdy - so does the VW joy spec include the rear arch install ;  ?? 

Specifications:

» Quality Amplifier and Sub controller
» Quality Front door speakers
» Quality Subwoofer and enclosure
» Cabling

It may be incidental anyway as my budget wouldnt stretch that far - just want a bit more similar to the Audi BOSE really.

Your install looks awesome - but just forked out for a remap, service and colour coded the black bits - plus want a TBE Milltek whilst they are on special!    So may have to compromise a wee bit on the audio side of things for now   :sad:

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 02:28:17 pm »
i'm considering using this with the OEM headunit and uprated speakers as dont wont to loose standard look.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94
2005 Black Audi A3 Sportback TDI-Bose and Full Leather
2005 Black 3Dr GTI-Leather and Upgraded Sound System-Gone

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:36:47 pm »
Wolfie,

I don't specifically know what they do as regards the enclosure, but they normally do a regular sub box like mine started off as before I built the arch enclosure.

Oh, and if anyone wants a sub box for a 10" sub, then I still have it, minus the fittings/connectors of course. :happy2:
Golf R gone.