Make a donation

Author Topic: going to Orlando any advice ?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Re: going to Orlando any advice ?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
We absolutely love Orlando and will be visiting this September, only tip i can offer is to check out www.thedibb.co.uk for all your questions, just like this site an excellent forum with loads of friendly people more than willing to help.

That's the website I was trying to remember. My Mrs spent hours on there in the past and we were both trying to remember what it was called!

The prices have indeed rocketed. About 5 years ago I could go in August for just over £2K (tickets extra, and food) which was about the same price as a fortnight in Ibiza (admittedly flying from a local airport and some food included). It now costs us nearer £3k just for the flights!

July is a very very busy time as all the Yanks are on holiday, plus the Brits and worst of all the South Americans. There are thousands of young South American kids in the parks (perfectly well behaved) in big organized groups which doesn't help queue times on rides.
The end of August is best for school holiday compatability as the Americans go back to school much earlier than the Brits so the parks are a lot less busy. Plus prices come down slightly. The only downside is that that parks close earlier (unless you are a Disney guest and can take advantage of the extra hours).
Andy
7R

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 08:48:15 pm »
Don't come back through the airport with Megs clay in your hand luggage  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »
 :grin:

Did they give you an anal probe Stu?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:25 pm »
I shiver at the 'thwack' sound of rubber gloves.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 10:39:17 pm »
I have a whole box load. I'll remember to bring some to Inters.  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »
We’ve just come back from 2 weeks in Orlando over Easter, our 1st visit.

We booked a villa (house) with pool that was great quite location, 15 mins from Disney, 25 mins from Universal, beer fridge, skinny-dipping every day, own kitchen to make and take lunch with us, washing machine (so you can pack light)

Our cost’s were;
Flights £2k (2 adults 1 child, virgin M/C to Orlando direct)
Villa & car hire £1k

My tips would be;
•   Book Villa for all above, it’s all yours when you want to relax
•   Pack light – clothes for 3-4 days if you’ve a washing machine, we could have take just 3 carry-on bags
•   1 pair of shoes – Croc band, comfy & waterproof
•   Prosport sunscreen, apply once and forget (just don’t miss anywhere)
•   Don’t buy unlimited tickets, be realistic to what you can do in 2 wk’s, we did all 6 days at Disney parks, 5 days at Universal, 1 at  Seaworld, 2 days at water parks(with an 8 ½ year old)
•   Get a big car – we had a jeep cherokee
•   Don’t go in the summer, the humidity must be a killer, we had 30c of dry heat and didn’t sweat at all.
•   You just have to do the harry potter ride, my lad is HP mad
•   Go commando (it’s cooler)
•   Fireworks are great 10pm
•   Food is great, still good value

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »
Space Center is a must. When are you going? Atlantis is going up on the 6th 8th of July. The last ever Shuttle launch. Head over to ksc.nasa.gov (from memory) to register for the lottery to purchase launch viewing tickets from the causeway (better than viewing from KSC itself IMO, but still a decent view from KSC) or head on over to Titusville about eight hours from the launch.

...also, the Cheesecake Factory is real and serves an amazing cheeseburger. There's one at the Mall of the Millenia in Orlando, and it is superb.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:23:07 pm by cmdrfire »

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 02:32:15 pm »
Totally agree with the cheesecake factory, my favourite restaurant! but there is so much choice, like i said check out the dibb website reviews on all accommodation and restaurants. only 97days and 19 hours until im going

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
Totally agree with the cheesecake factory, my favourite restaurant! but there is so much choice, like i said check out the dibb website reviews on all accommodation and restaurants. only 97days and 19 hours until im going

84 days here, give or take....
Andy
7R

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 12:24:41 pm »
Red rock canyaon is a great place to eat as well or Jonny rockets was quite cool

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 08:50:25 pm »
Great holiday but be realistic in what you can do as others have pointed out. Be organised, the kids even did a spreadsheet of our itinerary, shows , restaurants etc.

Summer is more humid and prone to thunderstorms. They shut the rides when there is a thunderstorm within a 3 mile radius! We were lucky after getting off the front row of Kraken at Seaworld they shut the ride.

The Wizarding world of Harry Potter as others have said is a must, it is really well done. Last summer Universal and Islands of adventure were opening up earlier than advertised so they could get the numbers in!!.
Don't dismiss the Disney parks as they have some great rides too. Star tours 3D has just opened this month and has had some great reviews. Soarin', test track, Hollywood tower of terror are some other good rides.  The fire works at EPCOT are amazing too.
My daughter is a similar age to yours and she loved it, so we are going again!!
Like other people have said the Disney Hotels are very good but to get your monies worth the dinning plans are they way to go. You can book the restaurants there up to six months in advance. The Disney transit system is free, so that you can get free busses between all the Disney parks, waterparks and hotels. They are regular and clean but can get a bit busy after the fireworks have finished.
Get some comfortable, footwear X-training sandals are ideal as your feet will be getting wet on a few rides!

One other place to recommend is Discovery Cove.:-  http://www.discoverycove.com

I would recommend this book as there are plenty of tips in it:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0572036272/ref=asc_df_05720362722954802?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=0572036272

http://www.britguideorlando.net/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:40:38 pm by TagnuT »
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 10:39:28 am »
Superb advice and resources linked above all....many many thanks.

Daughter seems convinced she is too old for Disney (think I am off the hook so probably wont push it  :jumpmove: ).

Looking like, Universal, busch gardens and a waterpark, may also do discovery cove or/ and go to see the launch (but that may be too far/ long a day). I intend to eat in as many of these great places as I can and visit the apple store and also a few guitar stores whilst there.... :star:

Schools are out for summer on 24th June here, we are offski 26th for 2 weeks! woooo hooo...

Looks for comfiest pair of "sneakers" in cupboard.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 11:42:31 am »
Forget Sneakers - You want some Crocs :rolleye:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
No problem have a great time, one place to look at for ticket prices are www.attractionticketsdirect.com.

When we got back last time the Mrs and the kids just went to bed for the whole day.!!
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:49 pm »
I was 14 when I went, my brother was 12. I'd say forget the Disney parks, although MGM Studios was awesome, and Universal Islands of Adventures was fantastic - all the best rides! Plus go to the malls - I don't know if it would be the same now 8 years later but they were deserted and everything was cheap - like I bought a Quiksilver purse for $8! Though I guess it wouldn't be quite that cheap now, but still... I loved everything so I'm sure you will all have a fantastic time  :wink: