Make a donation

Author Topic: labyrinthitis - anyone had it - update 28/05  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
labyrinthitis - anyone had it - update 28/05
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:29:44 pm »
No - not stuck in a Maze somewhere in Greece being chased by a bloke with a bull's head :laugh:

The inner ear infection.

I've been out of sorts this week and then over the last day or so I've had really bad dizzy spells, nausea and even had to hang over the big white telephone :sick:
Last night was particularly bad as I was driving home and had to pull over with palpatations and dizzyness.

Never even heard of it until this morning when my lovely doctor (yes she wasn't bad looking either before you ask!) diagnosed me with it.

So, now I'm on tablets with a list of after-effects that makes a hospital look like it should be the best place to take them :grin:

Just as bl00dy luck would have it I'm also on prescription strength Co-codamol and Diclafenac for a bad back too :sad1:

I'm hoping I've had my 3 incidents now (bad luck comes in three's and all that!) as I'm just getting over a badly pulled knee ligament injury too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:59:16 pm by Hurdy »
Golf R gone.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: labyrinthitis - anyone had it?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »
Hope you get well mate. It can completely disable you. Hope you recover from it soon!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Megy_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:05:04 pm »
I have had in the past, a few times, and I can confirm its horrible.  When mine was at its worse I could be laying in bed and move slightly and would have to hold onto the sides of the bed as I felt I was going to fall out of it, same with the sofa.

One thing I was told, and cant confirm it works, but soak cotton wool in warm water and put it in your ears.  I tried it and it never made it worse.

Sympathies
07 Plate GTi ED30 DSG - Grey - Standard (but not for long)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:27 pm »
John, I get that on a regular basis, and horrible it is too.

Mine is due to inner ear damage caused by  a burst ear drum years ago.  I have to take anti-sea sickness tablets when it flares up.  Should get out of making the beds and washing up?

Saint Steve

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:38:27 pm »
Get well soon John..  :love:

Ease off sniffing that Nos Bottle :wink:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:46:04 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:43:32 pm »
Do not want to be the bearer of bad news but two work collegues have had it and it knocked them off their feet for 6 months !!!!

hope it does not end up that bad

be careful driving
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
I have had in the past, a few times, and I can confirm its horrible.  When mine was at its worse I could be laying in bed and move slightly and would have to hold onto the sides of the bed as I felt I was going to fall out of it, same with the sofa.

One thing I was told, and cant confirm it works, but soak cotton wool in warm water and put it in your ears.  I tried it and it never made it worse.

Sympathies

Thanks for the tip, I may try that.

Funny you should mention the bed thing as I've had to stop typing twice as I keep thinking the chair is tipping over!!

I don't "Feel" badly( apart from when the nausea kicks in), just weird, the tablet concoction may not be helping though.  This chair is awfully comfortable though with 4 be d pillows on it.  :happy2:

Edit, spelling mistakes corrected :ashamed:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:55:07 pm by Hurdy »
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
Re: labyrinthitis - anyone had it - update 28/05
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:14:08 pm »
Well, just spent 2 days in hospital as i went to the doctor at 10am on Thursday and by 10.40am I was in the admissions assessment unit  :sick:

Not quite Labyrinthitis.

Still dizzy with headaches, but also have a weakness in my right leg and arm, reduced feeling and my right leg shakes when I try to use it.

MRI scan of my head shows that I can confirm that I have a brain and the good news is that they couldn't see anything wrong with the head scan. Bad news was that on Friday they gave m e a lumbar puncture (they stick a big needle in your back and drain spinal fluid out for testing :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:). Now home again but have to go back for a"c-section" MRI scan and other tests on Monday. The physiotherapist gave me an exercise to do and a few tips on how tosafely manage steps.

God knows how long I'll be out of action, but hopefully it is shortlived as I'm not allowed to drive (and couldn 't anyway).

Good job I'm left handed eh!!
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:22:50 pm »
So very sorry to hear this, John. All of who know you will be praying for your full recovery - Keep us posted :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »
Cheers Robin,

Currently signed off by doctor for 2 weeks, but I'm thinking this may take longer.  :sad1:

Forgot to mention that the resident vampires must be high on my blood as the hospital must have taken a good quart :laugh:

Not so funny when they keep pricking you with needles "to see if you can feel it" and all you can feel is a slight prod :confused:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:50:20 pm »
Sorry to hear this John.  :sad1:

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Whatever happens don't say "only a small prick".  :ashamed:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »
Cheers Ian,

I daren't say that to the nurses as they'd "punish" me  :wink: :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 11:02:32 pm »
Lumber puncture not good I remember when i had one done for possible meningitis I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes but couldn't sit or laydown for that amount either :sick:

Get well soon John :happy2:

Darren

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:28 pm »
Hope you recover soon.  Really appreciate how ill health can take you and your family by storm

My 8 year old brother just had to endure numerous MRIs & lumbar puncture tests after 2weeks in intensive care due to a random "Severe infection"
Out of the blue had seizures and still being scanned and pricked today.  Cannot tell us what is causing it.  He's awake and off of life support but isnt himself at all  :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

Dad (always been fit as a fiddle & competed Mr Yorkshire)  Had a stroke out of the blue when I was out in Canada, turned out to be a 'safe' tumor in his heart valve.  Finally had it operated on  yesterday (after looking after my brother in understaffed high depenancy unit, I cant stand the state out coountry is in at the minute)

Cant begin to recall all the bad luck the last six months has has for me.

Get well soon pal  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :drinking:

oldtomo

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:01 pm »
Sounds horrible - get well soon John!