Make a donation

Author Topic: Don't believe in Volcanic ash clouds?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Don't believe in Volcanic ash clouds?
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:27 pm »
Went out to the car this morning to be met with this...

:scared:

Off to get the hose out.....

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Don't believe in Volcanic ash clouds?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »
careful cleaning that off, get the snow foam on it before you start brushing it with anything!  Where abouts do you live Scotland I guess?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:47 pm »
+1 for snowfoam/presoak before rinsing. I'd even get the buckets out and go over with a mitt and shampoo.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:52 pm »
Aarghh!!  :surprised: C'mon ash, clear off!! I've a flight in 5 weeks time and you best hope you're gone by then otherwise I'm gonna kick up stink!! :fighting2: I'm from Edinburgh (dunno about OP) but it affecting airports here today.  :sad1:

Shouldn't a decent strength hose coughpressure washercough remove the worst off it before going in there with snow foam, wash mitts?

Interested to know where you're from?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:37:08 pm »
you dont want to just blast it with a pressure washer straight up as that affectively forces the little particles across the surface of your paint at high pressure, snow foam is designed to foam up on impact providing a lifting action for particles away from the body work, it will also help to chemically break down the dust and whatever is holding it on to the paint work.  once foamed so that the chemical adhesion of the particles is lessened then you can go at it with a pressure washer although I would irrigate with a house first then pressure wash.

Before getting a mitt and washing the remainder of it off.  Just my personal opinion, volcanic ash can have all sorts of nasties in it including glassy spherials (tiny little beads of silicone that have petrified from magma in the atmosphere so if you get straight in with a mit or heaven forbid a sponge it will be like taking some wet and dry paper to you clear coat!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:00:24 pm »
careful cleaning that off, get the snow foam on it before you start brushing it with anything!  Where abouts do you live Scotland I guess?

Just off the north coast. :wink:

Orkney islands. :ashamed:

We had a fierce night of wind and rain last night-couple that with the ash that the rain was bringing down,and then evaporating off the cars with the wind and this it whats left.
Pretty much any vehicle not in a garage overnight has been left in this state.
Just rinsed it off with a standard garden hose,to get the worst off.Not going to bother giving it a clean yet, as there is still a lot of ash in the atmosphere.I can actually see it build on the windscreen as I drive along!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:08:04 pm by Bane »

MPS

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
Iceland. Always summat with them isn't there? First there was Cod, then Icesave ISAs, now chuffing volcanoes!  :scared:  :grin: