Make a donation

Author Topic: Richn83 progress thread  (Read 19697 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Richn83 progress thread
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »
Bravo, sir  :congrats:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »
Very shiny! But you missed a pop-the-flake shot!  :laugh:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:11:17 am »
Hi Richie

Great post mate, was thinking about a speaker upgrade for my car, what kit was that mate, as looks like a plug in vw kit, if so is was it a simple install with no modification needed to the wiring and was it rear speakers also or just fronts and did you have any problems with the tweeter installs on the mirror cowling. Thanks in advance mate

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
Hi Richie

Great post mate, was thinking about a speaker upgrade for my car, what kit was that mate, as looks like a plug in vw kit, if so is was it a simple install with no modification needed to the wiring and was it rear speakers also or just fronts and did you have any problems with the tweeter installs on the mirror cowling. Thanks in advance mate

Hey Paul cheers, I did a right up on the upgrade here and a talk through the install http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26892.0.html it was generally easy the most tedious part was the rivets on the woofer.  Otherwise if you have 3 speakers already then its all plug and play with original VW wiring mounting points so very OEM!  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:36 am »
little update, this finally arrived from the US on Friday only took a month and half  :pomppomp:  Now just need to find a suitable time to visit a fellow member for some coding good-ness and the addition of a shark fin  :party:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 05:44:58 pm »
Sweet! Highline a go go. Serious envy...
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »
Right so little update over the weekend I went on a flying visit to Bromley and then down to Portsmouth and saw Apollo13 at the JKM rolling road day and the very generous man fitted coded and then helped me clear the error codes off of this!  :evilgrin:

Its been something ive been waiting to do since getting the car over a year ago and it hasn't disappointed it changes the look and feel of the car as you drive with the nav info track info and setting options.  :party:

Then to top it off once I got home I stripped out the trim above the pedals scrunched myself up in the footwell and switched out my gateway for an AA (sharan one) and slotted in one of my Polar FIS units  :pomppomp:

I have a couple of bits to sort out (if you are eagle eyed you will see that the water temp guage is in Fahrenheit) so needs switching over one of the issues with US cluster but easily fixed  :grin:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 02:27:00 pm »
Small update had the day off work so thought I would take some clusters to pieces and replace the damaged bits of trim and swop over the american F Fahrenheit for UK C celsius.

It was interesting to see how any bits the clusters can be broken up into and the fact that all the bits of glass are all separate and proper glass not cheap plastic!

So the highline cluster from the US as a different dial card for water temp and the left hand side of the left silver dial had a chip out of the plastic not to mention rather a lot fo dirt. pick as in stalled.

The cluster is made up of two parts tat clip together with 6 tabs once they are peeled apart you are left wiht the main body with the needles and the front plate with the glass and buttons, these front panels are different between highline and midline as one has a bar across the middle to hide the seperation between screen and light board. infact the front panel is made up of two panels a front outer display (what you see and can touch) and an internal section that hold the glass in place and makes up this plastic divide.

The holder piece is held in place by 3 torq screws and 6-8 smaller clips around the outside once removed you can literally remove every individual piece of glass and clean beyond the normally visible edge and the rubber they sit in, it also allows you to replace the backing panel and use the outer skin from your midline with a highline cluster.

Once that was sorted out, I moved on to the fuel and water temperature gauge as the backing plate is joined I had to use a pair of knives to pry the needles off (making sure that the needles where at the far left extent) and then the dial backing just pops out same can be doen with speed and revs so if you have a km based cluster you can also switch out the foil to convert it to main reading mph and you can take all the parts off of the midline you already have  :pomppomp:

After all this I was left with a shiny highline and perfectly clean glass  :grin:

I also updated my RNS to the latest firmware 3810 (good for older hardware B units) as I was running a cooked version of 27xx for my old gateway so I have new splash screen and the new compass function is much better (the screen swings around quicker as you drive)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:56:31 pm by Richn83 »

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »
 :congrats: seriously impressed mate. If you want to practice putting a highline in mine, be my guest  :signLOL:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 03:38:28 pm »
Looking superb Rich :happy2: great job keep it up

Darren

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 04:03:52 pm »
Great job  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »

Smart touches, great work  Rich.  Again  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »
Small update, these arrived the other day and have been given a polish and some layers of wax ready to go on at the weekend  :pomppomp:

its something I have been looking to do for awhile and it should tone down the back end of the car making it less pink  :grin:

I also have a new Polar box on the way to trial that should let me have some exciting new info in my highline (turbo boost being the main one) and eventually auto folding mirror on lock un-lock!  :evilgrin:

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 12:52:04 pm »
Small update, these arrived the other day and have been given a polish and some layers of wax ready to go on at the weekend  :pomppomp:

its something I have been looking to do for awhile and it should tone down the back end of the car making it less pink  :grin:

I also have a new Polar box on the way to trial that should let me have some exciting new info in my highline (turbo boost being the main one) and eventually auto folding mirror on lock un-lock!  :evilgrin:

Very Nice,getting jealous here Rich.

auto folding mirror on lock un-lock! - Tell me more on this mod as I've already got the folding mirrors from the factory and to add this feature by remote would be a bonus.

gtlee :jumping:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:21 pm »
Nothing is confirmed yet Lee but the box that gives the turbo boost oil temp in the high line they have a new one in developement that will emulate some features such as OPS if you have PDC unit, claimte info on RNS with original auto HVAC unit, adjustment of more features via the highline computer (so you can change things without VCDS) and auto fold un-fold mirror on locking un-locking.  The hardware exists and I am getting one with some other units, but the firmware is still to be confirmed but it could be very exciting if it can do everything they say it will!

I hardly think you should be jealous other than the engine your car seems to have all the toys mine does and some extra tweeks  :happy2: