Make a donation

Author Topic: Richn83 progress thread  (Read 19704 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Richn83 progress thread
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »
Mike, I have unfortunately moved to Woking now buddy so not quite as easy for me to get to Brands but sure we can come up with something that will work, where are you at the moment you still in Germany?

Jake, one went in the post to you Friday via air mail so hopefully you should have it very soon!

Darren, The unit I had in place like yours was showing N/A on mine I guess it depends if its getting the oil temp from the ECU on the new one the boost and the oil temp (obviously my funny message W76 take awhile to show up so I guess there could be a delay in the info getting sent out.

Eddie, What telematics fault is that, not seen that on the two I have used, interested to hear about it.

Kalu, I should be getting one of the Advanced next week and trying out the Beta software, I have imported 10 of the FIS+ units and will do the same with the advanced once they are released so I will let you know how it performs and I I am hoping I will be able to sell them for a better price than they do direct so I will let you know  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »
Mike, I have unfortunately moved to Woking now buddy so not quite as easy for me to get to Brands but sure we can come up with something that will work, where are you at the moment you still in Germany?

Currently Germany.  Used to live / work in Camberley.  Not too far away  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 10:33:03 pm »
yeah very close by, if you ever have to visit any of the military bases in aldershot or camberley area then that would be a good opportunity for meeting up and a bit of tinkering  :wink:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »
When I fitted the Polar, scanned the car CAN gateway coded incorrectly, autoscan showed Telematics so added that and that cleared the gateway fault. Now you get no communication with Address 75 Telematics. Scott has the fault too. not to bothered
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:26 am »
Ahhh right so its just when doing a VCDS scan I get the same I was worried that you were getting issues with the unit working  :confused:

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 09:21:38 am »
Richn83,

Gets better! :congrats: :congrats:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44:54 pm »
Only a little update, cars due a service and I have decided to brave doing it myself and to hell with the little stamp in the book, so have ordered up filters sump plugs and air filters and oil ready to collect tomorrow should be an interesting experience but I figure once ive popped my cherry I can give it alot more attention than standard servicing and it will be better and cheaper in the long run!

I also thought while im about it and wedged under the car I would add all the extra aero touches that The Bruce brought up, so I gave the parts guy a big long list and will be strapping all manner of golf ball indented plastic to the bottom of the car as well  :signLOL: Pics to follow after the weekend and a list of parts!

Only other change since last update is I pulled out my ipod changer in the arm rest and slotted in a 6 cd changer and gave the car a well needed wash! I also sorted out the oil temp sensor and took a good video of the Polar box with the beta software.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dk4znu0MDjKbMFe8ScPxkjIbjg7Zt11gF9VrQzaU1sQ?feat=directlink

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:15 pm »
its easy 2 service it yourself mate trust me............ and if u intend 2 keep it long enough then the stamp dont matter   :happy2:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41:16 am »

I also thought while im about it and wedged under the car I would add all the extra aero touches that The Bruce brought up, so I gave the parts guy a big long list and will be strapping all manner of golf ball indented plastic to the bottom of the car as well  :signLOL: Pics to follow after the weekend and a list of parts!

??? Im intruiged.

Oil & filters is a doddle  :smiley:  Save a few quid & a bit of satisfaction too

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 08:54:46 am »
So yesterday I gave the car a service oil and filter plus air filter in general its was fairly easy as said only thing I would say was getting the oil filter out and releasing the pressure without any thing designed for the job was a little messy especially when everything is only a foot or less away from your face!  It was alsot he first time taking the engine cover off and I was suprised how easy it was think I had built it up in my mind to be a nightmare that always ends in a broken cover!  :signLOL:  It was interesting to see all the gubbings in the engine in more detail once all the plastic was gone and I was thinking the under-side of the air box was screaming out for some heat reflective tape to at least slow the ingress of heat.

and after/during I also fitted the aero parts, it was all relatively easy only issue I had was not being able to get the car too far off the ground, I also found the rear grit guards very tight to get on.

comparison shot between old and new.

front cover fitted, I didnt bend it out and left it with the inward bump where there is no golf ball texture and from pushing upwards as snoopy said I think there is a good 10-15mm of clearance, although I imagine at speed this could be forced up on to the sump but assuming VW used thermo set plastic I dont think this would cause an issue as the under-side would be readily cooled.

I also bought the 1a and 1b larger deflectors, although based on ETKA I didnt get enough screws to fit both as at the moment I only have the one installed but as the profile picture shows it almost has a significant increase in air deflection.

The rear grit guards were interesting to fit the trailing arm on my rear suspension (if that is the right term for it) had an extra downward nodule on it which meant I had to get under the car and really tugg on the plastic to force it along to locate the plastic rivets, I also didnt need to relocate the brake cables as they sat along the top side of the arm and I couldnt see that these additions would cause them to foul at all.

So far I have only been for a short drive but will be going on a hour 45 drive from glos to woking tonight so should get an idea if it has affected mpg at all, one of my initial thoughts while pootling along was that road noise was reduced but again this should be more evident at faster speeds, I will also be monitoring the oil and coolant temps with the polar display, I could do with DSG temp as well but it might be all the excuse I need for some open front fog vents  :wink:

I have the rear axle cover on back order so will update once it arrives.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 09:00:53 am »

Thanks for that Rich! Great work!  I might go for the underside mods too.

Are 1a and 1b the ones that run all the way down the sides of the car?

What was cost and availability from you supplier of the Front tray and the two that fit under the rear arms?

Thank you!!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 09:15:26 am »
Hey mike, the little ones are just cones that sit on top of the old lumps the whole panel has been on there since factory.

these are the little triangles, I forgot for some reason to take an after shot from the side will try and remember later.

this is as it was before adding the bigger deflector.

And after

The front panel the lumps and all the fitting bits were readily available from VW, the stone guards for the rear suspension are A3 TT only so only from Audi (so the VW told me) and the rear axle guard I have to wait for despite them having all the fitting bits in stock.

Thats one thing with this bit guard I wasnt able to look out for any leaks from filter or plug after starting it up for the first time  :confused: Im hoping all is well.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:17:56 pm by Richn83 »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 09:23:31 am »

I always notice the triangle bits when approaching my car, I think they catch on big speed bumps  :confused: Hmmm

Will stick the bigger ones on if not costly

Thanks again  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2011, 09:30:07 am »
ITs all fairly cheap Mike, the rear arms are £5-6 each, the front tray is £25, the rear axle cover the same and the little lumps a couple of quid in total with all my servicing gear oil filter air filter it cost me £130 with some discount which is the same as they want to do me a oil change service so a bit of work on my part and the aero stuff is almost a freebie!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 09:50:33 am »
ITs all fairly cheap Mike, the rear arms are £5-6 each, the front tray is £25, the rear axle cover the same and the little lumps a couple of quid in total with all my servicing gear oil filter air filter it cost me £130 with some discount which is the same as they want to do me a oil change service so a bit of work on my part and the aero stuff is almost a freebie!

Winner