Make a donation

Author Topic: Richn83 progress thread  (Read 19687 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Richn83 progress thread
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »
About time for a little update since im now on page 9 and its been over 90 days  :sad1:

Can't get pics up as im on my phone will add later, changes since christmas have been cleaning related as I've got myself a da polished and had one session that achieved 40% correction not bad for a first attempt but will give it another go once the weather brightens up.

I have also spent this weekend refurbing my brakes, I ended up chipping the old paint off with a knife!  :surprised: this got me back to the original porsche and after the first coat they looking good, they will be sanded down once fully hardened and given a second coat in a week or two  :smiley: only issue is the transfer pipes  :sick:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:35 pm »
Nice one Rich  :happy2:

Look forward to seing it cme on a little further. Some god diagrams in the NQSBBK thread which may help with swapping the pipes over.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »
Thanks ben, its not the how too thats the issue its the phyiscal they dont want to come out!  :scared:

Pics as promised

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »
Looking good  :happy2:

Have you spoken to Dave, see if he has any advise how to get them unscrewed.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »
So over the weekend I had another go at the calipers over the weekend, and with the right tool 10mm flare spanner I got one of the bridge pipe off without any issue or damage, the other didnt want to move and the bolts eventually ended fully rounded off (its very soft metal) in the end I had to hack saw the pipe and hammer a socket on to the bolt to finally get them loose and once the initial stiction was cracked they came out perfectly.  :pomppomp:

Ive then given them a further coat of paint and they are looking great and are sat in the warm while the paint hardens.  I have already got a pair of new bridge pipes on order, now just need some pads and anti rattle shims before fitting  :smiley:

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:06 am »
Looking good Rich  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:08 pm »
Cheers Dom, how have things been not heard much from you recently. Have you seen the new parameters on the polar? Miss fires, injection angle injection start (guess this means time) or are you waiting on a new car?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:00 pm »
Brakes have had another coat of paint and been baked in the oven to harden them off, re-fitted the transfer pipes going to leave them un painted as they make a good contrast to the red and will be easier to remove if required later.

Also fitted a uhv premium kit to replace 729B skoda unit with a handy little app to get rsap working im relay pleased with it  :pomppomp:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:16:22 pm by Richn83 »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2012, 09:36:18 pm »
Looking very good Rich, lovin the fact your refurbing them yourself. They look very good, the 10mm fittings on the caliper are very soft and invariably end up needing replacing.

If you need new bleed nipples brakes international have them 01706 666999 part number is BBN90

Dave

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »
Thanks dave its been really satisfying doing the refurb myself it didn't feel like it as i was rounding off the transfer pipes but the finished article is looking good.  Thanks for the tip on the bleed nipples I managed to get them loose fully intact and swopped over with the transfer pipes. Next up will be to clean up the discs  :drinking:

What do people think of the un-painted bridge pipes?

Dave if you read the thread again I assume on porsches they aren't coated so they shouldn't corrode or would I be best to cover them in something?  Would you also have any recommendation to seal the paint so that brake dust cant bind to it?  I have seen some great white high temp sealant or is there something brake specific that you know of?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:17:16 pm by Richn83 »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2012, 07:23:08 pm »
Uk painted bridge pipes will be fine, they are unpainted on the boxster.

Regarding the lacquer, we powder coat in a Matt finish and then clear them with a heavy duty anti vandal lacquer made by Akzo Nobel, it's pretty tough.

I'd just suggest some normal lacquer with a couple of coats keeping in mind it's calipers and not your bonnet....

Do you fancy doing a few more? Can I put people in touch?

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:05 pm »
Looking good Rich, must catch up soon  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:43 pm »
Thanks Dom yeah we should sort a mini meet or something out.

Will have a look into the lacquer, would I be right in thinking the stuff you use is powder coat type thats baked on or it it brush able?

Im not sure if people would be as impressed with my handy work as they are with yours, happy to help out if I can with advice and bits and pieces but i have about as much spare time as you and live in a flat which isn't ideal for these sort of activities!

people shouldn't be worried about having a go at doing it themselves this was my first ever attempt and its turned out alright   :chicken:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:19:34 pm by Richn83 »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »
Looking fantastic Rich :happy2: wish I had of kept my Porsche calipers now :confused: maybe on the next car.

Did you download the Rsap server app with BT Stack its a cool app and really does work :happy2: Its something I came across just by chance when I got my iPhone.

Darren

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2012, 07:17:59 pm »
No im running a similar android version rsap you need to root the phone a bit like jail breaking to install it but it works perfectly and the kit now works perfectly, I now just need to run a fakra cable for the phone to my shark fin.