Make a donation

Author Topic: Help needed!!  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
Help needed!!
« on: June 02, 2011, 04:43:33 pm »
Ok... i'm trying to mount the GTI footrest i got from gulfstream this week  :happy2:, i know a lot of you guys have done this and i know its supposed to be an easy simple mod.

My problem is that i can remove the flat head screw behind the brake pedal but the T15 screw on the side of the plastic footrest trim will not come out. Its just turning like its not attached to anything but if i try to pull out the footrest trim its not wanting to budge.

My question is should i just force the trim out? am i right in thinking the mount for the screw has probably come loose? should i be pulling upwards to free the trim?

any help much appreciated

Dave

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Re: Help needed!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »
Try pulling it out whilst un-screwing it. It may be that whatever it screws into has snapped or if its plastic, worth thread causing it to just turn. If you try pulling it at the same time it might be just enough to make the thread catch.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:03 pm »
That one is a pain in the arse to remove.Brute force did mine,got a metal palet knife from the kitchen & forced it under the screw head & just force the handle down & it flew out.There not threaded just a push fit & thats why it just goes round when you try a screw driver. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »
Thanks guys just didnt wanna force the issue incase i snapped the trim :happy2:

I'll give it another go 2moro, just seemed odd that the screw was turning freely like it wasn't attached to anything but when i tried forcing the footrest trim out it felt very secure  :scared:

Still amazes me that every piece of trim seems to be held in place by different kinds of screws and fittings  :stupid:

Dave

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48:51 am »
I had this exact problem when trying to fit mine a few months ago. I got frustrated and ended up sticking the footrest on (It's still on so I should have ordered the one with no holes).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:52:04 am by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:00:14 am »
Sorry Guys...Went simple for me..DONT FORGET to lift the footrest up then out...It has a couple of plastic parts on the reverse that fit into the bulkhead if you like..Dont try to pull it off you will snap them.When I did mine I never refitted the T15 it slotted back perfect without moving..  :driver:

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »
No need for the sorry Gulf it just seems its a bit stubborn on my car and a few others, gonna give it another go this afternoon and for those also having trouble if i manage it i'll post up a bit of guidance how i got it free  :signLOL:

Dave

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »
Finally got the T15 screw out by bending the screwdriver down and prizing it out with a flatheaded one  :happy2:

For anyone having a bit of bother with this here's a few pics of the underside of the footrest trim to help you

and here's the footrest finally fitted

and the seat inlay too  :drinking:

and yes i know i need new mats  :P

Dave

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »
Well done Dave,they do look good.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »
Thanks Gene  :smiley: i think it just finishes off the interior a bit more, a nice subtle mod  :happy2:

Dave

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:30:00 am »
Sorry Guys...Went simple for me..DONT FORGET to lift the footrest up then out...It has a couple of plastic parts on the reverse that fit into the bulkhead if you like..Dont try to pull it off you will snap them.When I did mine I never refitted the T15 it slotted back perfect without moving..  :driver:

No need for the sorry mate. Your custom made mods are great :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦