Make a donation

Author Topic: Power drain at 3500 revs - Running to rich  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Phathead

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • VAG Nut
Power drain at 3500 revs - Running to rich
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:25 am »
Morning Guys and Gals,

I'm having a problem with my GTi, and I was wondering if anyone else had suffered from the same symptoms as everyone I speak to seems to come to a dead end.....

Symptom:Pulls hard in first and second gears until selection of 3rd gear and then no turbo, and will not rev above 3500 revs. Won't reset until ingition is cycled. 

Diagnosis:Been to the VW dealer and the fault memory reads "Bank 1 system to rich"......on the guided fault finding it goes on about checking the "pressure side of the system is not hermetic" This is a check for the pipes being air tight......

They have checked, and even removed and refitted the intercooler pipes to check for splits and holes and they are all fine.

This is where I need help to go next, can't any further money at the dealer as they seem to have reached a dead end......could the Diverter Valve diaphram being split cause this issue?

HELP!

Thank you.

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
Re: Power drain at 3500 revs - Running to rich
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:14 am »
Is it split ?

Offline Phathead

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • VAG Nut
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:30:30 am »
I haven't checked it yet as I didn't think, looking at other peoples fault on here, it fitted the same description....but if someone else had said they had had similar then that would be my next course of action....

I think I'll have to do it tomorrow morning just to satisfy myself that it is or isn't split.

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:56:48 am »
I would say a boost leak somewhere or your MAF needs the sensor cleaning http://www.wak-tt.com/mafclean/mafclean.htm

Offline Phathead

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • VAG Nut
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:08 pm »
Cheers.  Looks like I'll be under the bonnet tomorrow morning  :happy2: