Make a donation

Author Topic: Apple WWDC 2011  (Read 11059 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Apple WWDC 2011
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2011, 07:29:51 pm »
Ignore me actually.

From what i have just been told it's only a HDD upgrade that voids the warranty  :ashamed:

i was guna say..... the ram is a piece of piss. the HD on the other hand, apple have dev'd a new connector and new software that controls the speed of the fan etc. So...HDD needs factory fitting. lol

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:17 pm »

Robin, I wouldn't spend the extra on the ram from apple. You can get it far cheaper and it doesn't affect your warranty

I'm going for

27 inch
3.4 i7 (thinking if i go big it might take me 3-4-5 years to outgrow it)
2gb grahpics card
2tb hard drive
Magic mouse with numeric keyboard
4th ram then upgrade afterwards
3 years apple care

....Am getting edu discount. Plus Carl makes a good point. iMacs have never been that easy to upgrade.

Wise move on the AppleCare - Most definitely worth it.

The Imac ram is an absolute doddle, anybody could do it! click click click....done!

and higher education discount at 12% is a real easy to get ;)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »
Isn't his daughter at Uni?

I got both my MBP with Edu discount as the wife was doing her Masters Degree at the time.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2011, 08:12:42 pm »
^^^^
Yep, daughter at uni  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

DelB

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »
Mind if I join the Apple love-in, guys?  :love:

My current Windows laptop is now over four years old and is slower than a Citroen 2CV. I quite fancy an iMac and noticed on the Apple UK store site that they sell refurbished models at fairly reasonable prices. Is there any reason for me to avoid one??

Cheers.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:17 pm »
Mind if I join the Apple love-in, guys?  :love:

My current Windows laptop is now over four years old and is slower than a Citroen 2CV. I quite fancy an iMac and noticed on the Apple UK store site that they sell refurbished models at fairly reasonable prices. Is there any reason for me to avoid one??

Cheers.  :smiley:

....No reason to avoid one as such - They should come with warranty. You just need to think about what you're using it for. Questions like whether it will run the software you want to use. For example, a PowerMac processor won't run the latest operating system nor Adobe Creative Suite. Try and get a Mac with an Intel processor to be more future proof.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2011, 10:51:27 pm »
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2011, 09:03:01 am »
Robin, I wouldn't spend the extra on the ram from apple. You can get it far cheaper and it doesn't affect your warranty

I'm going for

27 inch
3.4 i7 (thinking if i go big it might take me 3-4-5 years to outgrow it)
2gb grahpics card
2tb hard drive
Magic mouse with numeric keyboard
4th ram then upgrade afterwards
3 years apple care

Jay and Robin, it might look expensive, but I'd seriously consider specifying an SSD drive over a faster processor, even if it means going for the entry level i5 chip. The OS and your applications will be installed on the SSD, and your serial drive is used purely for storage. I bought six iMacs for the studio in March, and Apple (amongst others) advised this was the most significant way to increase the machines performance in everyday use.

As Robin says, iMacs are so powerful these days that even an entry level machine will be more than sufficient for most people, for a long time.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:33 am »
In addition lion is optimised for ssd performance.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:06 am »

Jay and Robin, it might look expensive, but I'd seriously consider specifying an SSD drive over a faster processor, even if it means going for the entry level i5 chip. The OS and your applications will be installed on the SSD, and your serial drive is used purely for storage. I bought six iMacs for the studio in March, and Apple (amongst others) advised this was the most significant way to increase the machines performance in everyday use.

....So, rather than go for a 2TB HD, you're suggesting that a 1TB HD plus the 256 GB SSD option would be better?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:52 am »

....So, rather than go for a 2TB HD, you're suggesting that a 1TB HD plus the 256 GB SSD option would be better?

I'd say so yes. That's the option I went for when I last ordered machines for work, and Apple advised me accordingly.