Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge twintercooler  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Forge twintercooler
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:58 pm »
Had my twintercooler fitted yesterday and was wondering if anybody with the same experience could advise?
My car is stage 2+ and at the last rolling road prior to the intercooler fitting was running at 278bhp and 320 lbs/ft torque.
Yesterday I had a full service and cambelt/waterpump change with the intercooler fitting.
The 1st rolling road after fitting was 280bhp and 308 lbs/ft torque, the 2nd was 281bhp and 313 lbs/ft torque and the 3rd 281bhp with 214 lbs/ft torque.  :confused:
I have never used anything other than V-power, so different fuel is not in the equation.
The bhp wasn't concerning me, but obviously the torque was.  They did say it will take a few tanks of petrol for the ECU to adjust, is this true or do I need them to look at another map?
Forgot to mention that I also changed from resonat to non-resonated, but surely that wouldn't have caused the torque drop?  :scared:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Forge twintercooler
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:20:08 pm »
Were all of these runs on the same dyno? if so, what type of dyno?

so the three runs after fitting it made:

280bhp and 308 lbs/ft torque,
281bhp and 313 lbs/ft torque
281bhp with 214 lbs/ft

so it lost 100 ft/lbs on the last run, or was this a typo?

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:46:39 pm »
 :signLOL: yes sorry typo.

314 is correct, all on the same dyno, so did keep improving.

It was on AMD Technik's dyno, not sure what type they have, but all the tests mentioned including the test prior to yesterday was on there.  Granted the original test of 320 lbs/ft was in the winter  :sad1:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:11:28 pm »
christ AMds rollers are giving sensible figures for once.  Someone get the flags out  :grin:

With the IC id imagine you could run some more timing which would gain you some torque.  lAlso theweather 'could' make a difference

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:18 pm »
Mines stage2 , standard ic, running 285 bhp - 311 lbs/ft torque also on amd rollers, stage2+ should give around 15% gain
Something doesn't sound right, who did the mapping? Best person to speak to is Shaun, my mates ed30 needed setting up , got Shaun to check settings , he found an extra 40bhp!

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »
Sorry, forgot to mention after my remap they said the same thing about a couple of tanks of fuel, mine definitely feels better after covering a few hundred miles, I'd go back and ask them to double check everything

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:32:21 pm »
Thanks mate, will have a check in a few 100 miles.
I'll also ask for Shaun......will let you know how I get on.  :happy2:
When you say stage 2, what do I have that u don't  :signLOL:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:00 pm »
Adding the cooler wont add any power, the cooler will allow you to run higher boost and timing settings so im sure you will see a gain once set up accordingly. The cooler will help you make more power for longer.

A difference of 6 ft/lb is only about 2%, this can be down to something as simple as tyre pressures/change of tyre type etc...

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »
Hi jussa, you said your car is stage2+, mine is stage2 so I shouldn't have anything that you don't

My mods are- neuspeed p flow intake
                      Blueflame down pipe with sports cat
                      Milltek non res catback
                      Amd stage 2 map

To make mine stage2 + involves the fitting of a high pressure fuel pump and mapping to suit, so if your stage2+ you should definitely have more power than mine, also agree that ic won't give any extra power but should ensure that the power you do have isn't lost through heat soak, can you list your mods?

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »
Yes, but now I'm concerned that I have less bhp than JK911 who is only stage 2  :scared:
Surely that isn't normal?  :sad1:

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »
JK, just PM'd u.

Really worrying that mine has the HPFP and all your mods albeit Milltek not blue flame and still my BHP is lower than yours???  :confused:
Is your map AMD?

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »
Pmd you back mate, give us a ring

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »
i wouldnt worry about him having more power than you.  Many people run at stage 2 on AMDs rollers and get 280hp, then when they go on  other rollers wander where their 20hp has gone missing from.

people say the best value for money is a remap. i disagree, i find that £70 run on AMDs rollers will gain you a good 20hp over stock normally :grin:  this is why i commented earlier that your figures looked abit to normal for their rollers.

@ JK911 im pretty certain you dont have 285hp mate, no chance.  Robert on here thought he did as well with the AMD stage 2, yet when he came to the RR day @ JKM he made what people predicted he had which was about 250hp, which just so happened to be around 5-10hp less than the revo guys did.  the power and torque curves were very smooth and with an intake hed have easily hit the 260hp region which would be correct for stage 2.  But 280hp he most certainly wasnt making and id bet neither are you

I thin AMD do it for marketing purposes.  Shame you cant see if its riding up the rollers etc, or why they always run in 5th gear

Edit
________
that probably isnt enough popcorn for this post lol so heres some more

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:20:31 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:21:37 pm »
Ditto the above. You only need to look at other RR results to show what can be achived without the fuel pump

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:26:15 pm »
Guys, that's all very well, but it doesn't make sense that JK was on the same rollers as me just 4 weeks ago without an intercooler or HPFP and his torque is about the same as mine and he has an extra 5bhp  :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm really concerned now  :sick: