Make a donation

Author Topic: Fabia VRS - test drive!  (Read 10006 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Fabia VRS - test drive!
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »
OK, couldn't get hold of a Polo GTI DSG to test drive locally , so arranged to have a test drive in a Skoda VRS DSG 1.4Tsi. at my doorstep (5mins away) Skoda dealer.

Engine spec is the same as the Polo and just about all the mechanicals are the same (maybe suspension a little different?)

So the tech specs are:-

180ps (178bhp) at 6200rpm
250nm (184lbft) between 2000 and 4500rpm
0-62mph = 7.3 seconds (Polo GTI quotes 6.9 to 60mph)
45.6mpg on the combined cycle (54.3mpg on the open road!)
Co2 emissions are 148g/km = £125 a year tax.

Price - List is £16260, but there is an offer on at the moment with VAT which knocks just over £1900 off the price, so call it £14,360 - before any negotiations!!

Quite a bargain if you don't have any badge snobbery urges deep down.

This is the first time I've even paid much attention to this car and I must say that in the flesh it doesn't look bad at all. the front windscreen is quite high, which gives a very good outlook once you are sat in it. Plastics are however a definite class down from the VW's I've been in, but not as nasty as some Seats I've been in.

Now to the interesting bit, without the driver sat in it this car weighs in at just  1168kg :surprised:

So stock it has a power to weight ratio of just over 152bhp/ton. Basically the same as the MKVI Golf GTI

Off the line the car is very sprightly, the supercharger is evident straight from the off and the surge is quite potent, not modded GTi fast, but very good indeed. I can see why Blade loves his Polo GTi with extra power. :happy2: On uphill stops the car will hold itself stationary for a few seconds after you release the brake pedal without creeping forwards or backwards, a definite improvement on the 6 speed DSG. The car handles nicely, and over the horribly pitted and potholed roads of Sheffield it was very reasonable without getting confused and crashy. The car idles nicely and there's no hint of the transfer of power duties between the supercharger and turbocharger that Mr Clarkson hinted at with the original Golf 1.4TSi. Power delivery is smooth and consistent, no turbo lag at all, throttle response is instant and creamy smooth. On the open road the VRs is stable at speed and although it does tend to lean into corners more than I'd like, it isn't anything that would put me off and nothing that a decent ARB or two couldn't resolve. Speed builds quickly up to around XXXmph and then the car gradually starts to lose its resolve. I'd guess a remap would also help in this area too.

Overall (and I never thought I'd say this!) I was mightily impressed with the Fabia VRS and the price is quite a bargain too.

When you consider the basic list price of the Polo GTi is £19,415 before negotiations, then you are talking £5k difference.

Would I buy one?........If I only had the money for one then yes, but I'd still probably knock on the VW door and have my wallet raided for the extra ££££'s.

On another note, optional extra's at Skoda are unfeasibly cheap compared to VW - for the same kit!!

Satnav equivalents for the VRs and GTi are £840 and £525....FOR THE SAME KIT!!!!!!

Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Fabia VRS - test drive!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »
Ok are you mad it's a ugly fecker  :sick: would get the polo no matter what even if it costs more I just could not look outside my window of my house and think wow  :drool: i want to go for a drive  :ashamed: it just does nothing for me in the looks area

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »
Now do see you why i went for the Octavia vRS over the Golf GTi. :smiley:

For the same spec car (bearing in mind that VW don't make a Golf GTi estate that im aware of) i would have paid nearly £10k more :surprised: :surprised:

IMHO VW are charging what they do purely because they know the Badge snobs out there will pay for it just to say "i have a VW" :stupid:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:48:56 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 04:48:11 pm »
Ok are you mad it's a ugly fecker  :sick: would get the polo no matter what even if it costs more I just could not look outside my window of my house and think wow  :drool: i want to go for a drive  :ashamed: it just does nothing for me in the looks area

Don't worry Matt, I'm not getting one :grin:

Just needed to see what the engine was like.

I didn't think it looked that bad, but I agree it isn't good looking like the Polo GTI :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:48 pm »

For the same spec car (bearing in mind that VW don't make a Golf GTi estate that im aware of) i would have paid nearly £10k more :surprised: :surprised:

Yep I do, and the Octavia IS a decent looking car too.......even as an estate :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:07 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »

Yep I do, and the Octavia IS a decent looking car too.......even as an estate :happy2:

^^^^^ I agree, and the Fabia's ok too at least it looks a little different to alot of the other euro box's^^^^^

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »
A few more interesting spec comparisons

VRS gets curtain airbags as standard, the GTi you pay £600 for.

Electric sunroof is £385 on the VRs and £815 on the GTI

How can VW charge more than double for a sunroof and £600 for a safety feature that is std on a bloody Skoda!!! :fighting:
Golf R gone.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 04:58:08 pm »
I refer you to my comment above.

Badge Snobs   :laugh:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »
I found myself in the same boat as Carl.

The Mk6 is a nice looking car but not 50% nicer so I went Czech again, he has the added space advantage of the estate but my hatch has a cavernous boot that no Golf GTI can match.

I am more than happy with the badge on the front and with a few choice additions I think it looks pretty sweet. :smiley:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:01:11 pm »

:evilgrin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
LOL, I knew this would bring out the old Skoda price V's VW badge rivalry :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 06:01:35 pm »
LOL, I knew this would bring out the old Skoda price V's VW badge rivalry :laugh:

You started it.  :P

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »
 I am a big fan of the octy, great looking car, but I think the fabia is just horrible, sorry, I know the engine is great etc but the looks  :sick: and I'm not saying that every fabia driver is a div, but they are constantly trying to race? The older diesel model even more so. Rant over, buy a 200 and have done with it :P
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:13 pm »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!