Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2617061 times)

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11190 on: June 05, 2018, 06:32:04 pm »
Got my heatsheild back from powdercoaters what you all think?

Also do you all think my induction pipe is to high up on turbo side? I can put it down abit more?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:19:31 pm by SpudGTI »

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11191 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:49 pm »
Finally decided to get my front right side knocking sorted on my Eddie. Deep breath and opened my wallet W I D E. Let me emphasise W  I  D  E  :grin:

Total cost £1300 - yes you read correctly..  The rack itself was £763 +VAT

So after living with the knocking and having had all other possible bushes checked and new suspension the only real culprit left was the steering rack. Just got back from AKS after having a refurbed Gen 3 rack with OEM boots, tie rod ends and new loom fitted. I know there have been several posts about knocking and racks recently but in the end it was the right thing to do for my sanity and I am keeping the car for a while. You can just see the old one in the background which is returned to the supplier as an exchange item. Usual computer VCDS changes required due to the way the new rack sends position info rather than the steering wheel sensor. I haven't checked exactly what yet but will check at some point.

First impressions are a much smoother response and actually a lighter feel to the steering. Crucially the front now seems more *solid* and there is no knocking   :happy2:

In addition to the rack the alignment obviously needed doing which has sorted a few minor quirks in comfort and road noise, enough so you would notice.

So the motto is be prepared.

Cheers
Rip
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #11192 on: June 05, 2018, 11:11:50 pm »
Did a full service plugs, filters with some castrol edge as i had loads from a while ago next oil change will be nanodrive   :smiley:

Car hit 73k so thought i would do the cam follower that banjo bolt is a right arse on but got it done in the end, the old one was bare metal so really needed changing i dont know why they are not a sevice item.

Replaced both rear springs as my driver side was broken and i like to do them in pairs.

Took it up for an mot as its due on sat and it went through no advisorys after i didi the springs  :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

Ony thing i couldnt get the fuel lines of the fuel filter as i dont have the tools for them so will have to get the garage to do it for me

Also finally put on my Forge TWINTtake, Loveley sound not over the top and a can tell the difference in throttle responce plug it looks the mutts nutz

Put a new fuse box cover and battery cover on as i was given some carbon dipped ones.

Been a busy day
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #11193 on: June 06, 2018, 11:16:56 am »
Got stung by an unexpected big on the GTI  :sick:

I had the car booked in to get 2 new outer CV boots, rear caliper and rear anti roll bar droplinks replaced (all parts provided)

They couldn't separate the CV joints from the driveshaft on one side so that meant a new driveshaft @ £300! The other side required a new CV joint £90. So all in, the whole job cost me £600, not including the parts I already sourced. All this just to get the advisories sorted, in hindsight I should have just waited for them to fail.

Biggest bill to date on the GTI so far, let's hope nothing else needs doing for another 12 months!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11194 on: June 06, 2018, 12:29:08 pm »
Got stung by an unexpected big on the GTI  :sick:

I had the car booked in to get 2 new outer CV boots, rear caliper and rear anti roll bar droplinks replaced (all parts provided)

They couldn't separate the CV joints from the driveshaft on one side so that meant a new driveshaft @ £300! The other side required a new CV joint £90. So all in, the whole job cost me £600, not including the parts I already sourced. All this just to get the advisories sorted, in hindsight I should have just waited for them to fail.

Biggest bill to date on the GTI so far, let's hope nothing else needs doing for another 12 months!

Ouch but there is no cost limit on piece of mind, now you know its fine and you can forget about it, my biggist cost was £1400 but i went mental the week i got my car haha full major poweflex bushes and some others with some other bits here ad there getting the car 100%.

Oh euro car farts have a 50% discount on brakes and pads my brother got a full set of brembo and yellow stuff pads for under £500 all 4 corners just in case anyone needs brakes
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #11195 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:34 pm »
That's true, I just wish my finances could cope with it better  :grin:

£1400 is a lot! I think my other half would kill me if I said I spent that much on it,  she already thinks it's an absolute money pit. They never understand!

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11196 on: June 06, 2018, 08:40:16 pm »
Fitted a Superpro lower torque mount, aka the ‘dogbone’.

What a great improvement for £25! No noticable extra engine noise or vibration and it’s so much more responsive, especially when taking off. I always felt the car didn’t feel particularly nippy in light throttle at low speeds...it was like it needed to spoil up a bit.  well it does now. Just a little tap of the throttle and the car surges forward.

Looking at potentially getting a top mount now to match!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11197 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:34 pm »

What a great improvement for £25! No noticable extra engine noise or vibration and it’s so much more responsive, especially when taking off. I always felt the car didn’t feel particularly nippy in light throttle at low speeds...it was like it needed to spoil up a bit.  well it does now. Just a little tap of the throttle and the car surges forward.

You got an anti lift kit? if not may i suggest it defiantly worth doing
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #11198 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:45 pm »
Got my heatsheild back from powdercoaters what you all think?

Also do you all think my induction pipe is to high up on turbo side? I can put it down abit more?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
If it's not fouling the bonnet I'd be inclined to leave it. You might end up with it a bit too close to some coolant hoses if you adjust it down, and when things shift about under acceleration you risk damaging them.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11199 on: June 06, 2018, 11:15:47 pm »

No, car is standard. I’ll look into it, as I’ve heard it bandied around on here but no idea what it is.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11200 on: June 06, 2018, 11:17:34 pm »

No, car is standard. I’ll look into it, as I’ve heard it bandied around on here but no idea what it is.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11201 on: June 07, 2018, 07:36:43 am »

Add upgraded new rear subframe bushing and feel even more solid and responsive. Whiteline or SuperPro will do; https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&biw=933&bih=411&tbm=shop&ei=P9EYW6eQNebF0PEP_rWksAM&q=whiteline+anti+lift+mk5+gti&oq=whiteline+anti+lift+mk5+gti&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3903.8055.0.9334.19.19.0.0.0.0.108.1107.18j1.19.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.b42oAySipNU

New upper mounts should eliminate wheel hop once and for all. You may feel more through the wheel depending on brand and density, but it isn't bad at all.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11202 on: June 08, 2018, 11:34:52 pm »
Sadly said goodbye to my Mk5 Gti last week but on the plus side picked my Mk7.5 GTD Estate today 

Offline Caspersmith

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11203 on: June 09, 2018, 08:51:02 am »
Replaced my REV C diverter valve for a REV G as I had a P2261 fault code, this is what lead me to check the revision. REV C diverter wasn't split at all but rubber was inverted (only way I  can describe it) so piston wasn't moving.

Bloody easy to change but most annoying thing is I've lost the chirps!!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11204 on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:56 pm »
went on a 20mile drive to collect a set of wings to replace mine.

Got both for £125 they are only 2 weeks old still have the labels on them oh and they are already painted and match my paintwork spot on.

better then £600-900 buzzing  :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :rolleye: :rolleye:
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control