Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2691838 times)

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #2610 on: November 20, 2012, 04:17:12 pm »
Thought about doing this something like this myself - i hate the ugly manual heater knobs.

Looks loads better imo!

Where did you get them from?  I bet it was quit awkward getting the original knobs off!

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2611 on: November 20, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »
A pair of plyers and a cloth then they just pop off! I got them off ebay so il try and find the link. The inner circle also lights up red to match everything

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2612 on: November 20, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »
Yeah if you could find the link that would be great.  :happy2:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #2614 on: November 20, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »

ROH, we don't have DRL's over here. Can probably be coded but they are not necessary.

....All new cars in the UK now (since this year, 2012) have to have DRL's - A very good thing in my opinion. I have Hella LED DRL's in place of my foglights - Front foglights are not compulsory and are not necessary  :wink:

You are right RR. I was just referring in the MK5 sense  :wink:

so whats the story here then, are these coloured fogs legal or not,, yours look cool, how do you think they would look on a black gti ? is it a diff bulb or a cover for them ?
if a cover is it ok from stone chips etc and where can I get some, I guess you just pop the bottom grill off and apply or swap ?
also loving your front grill swap, would be interesting to see it on a black body,,, was it expensive  :happy2:

My understanding is that yellow in not illegal. You only have to go back a few years and you used to see alot of french cars with yellow fogs. Yellow light also has the advantage in poor weather as I believe it does not reflect as much as whiter light. The full beam bulbs and fog light bulbs are both Nokya Hyper Yellows (sourced from the US) which have a colour temp of 2500k thus producing a yellow-er light. Normal xenon's are between 4500-5000k. The fogs are also covered in a plastic film made by a company called Lamin-X. This gives them the yellow look. As you say, its just a matter of removing the lower grills and then 3 screws hold each fog light in.

What do you mean by grill swap? The smooth gloss black bit or the slatted grills instead of honeycombs?
was referring to the smooth grill, looks nice but not sure how it would look on a black car, may get lost in the colour background I guess.
great info on the fog bulbs, I looked on ecs tuning site for the lamin x but I cant find fog light ones, any ideas where to get this and the correct bulbs at all
do you think the yellow fogs would look ok on a met black 08 gti with bi xenons, no other yellow their obviously but im not sure thinking in my head if it would enhance the front or just look stupid ?
thanks again

For my smooth grill I just got a second hand one off ebay, had the holes plastic welded up then got my mate to fill and paint. Cost me £80 but that was having the splitter done at the same time.

Saturday Morning consisted of this:

Nokyos I bought didn't fit, wrong size so couldn't change the bulbs.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj490/mossmanian1/Misc/004-1.jpg

Looks good. Where did you find the Lamin-X for the fogs over there? Hope the fog bulbs come soon. You will appreciate them even more.

You should try some yellow daytime flasher bulbs. They really get more attention when flashed behind the Slow Ones;

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb434/rohecht/001.jpg

Not 100% mate, bought it from online somewhere, arrived in 2-3 days. Think it was £7 for a sheet, that was enough for two lamps with around 3"x5" left over.

I'm planning to change Xenons to Bi-Xenons, plus over here all headlamp bulbs apart from the indicator must be white, so yellow would get attention from the police etc

Looks nice though!
those yellow lights look way cool, pity about the legalities, the bi xenons are great, my car has them factory fitted and the illumination when using main beam is - wow,,, especially on country roads when they are enclosed by trees etc as its more for the beam to reflect off,,,, the bi xenons where the reason I bought this car,

Never had a problem with mine. Nokya's fitted for full beams and in the fogs. Also Lamin-X'd  :happy2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Matt.H/Internet/IMAG0394-1.jpg

Looks superb. Way size bulbs did you use for fogs as the Nokyos I bought don't fit?

I have reflector fogs and they take a HB4/9006 bulb. Which did you order?

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2615 on: November 20, 2012, 06:45:36 pm »
Finally got my custom sub box finished and fitted today.

dude that looks brilliant and very oem,,,, it has been fitted in such an area that makes it look great, I still need my boot for pram etc so would be interested in this mod.
did you make a thread on cost / fitting / price etc ?

Sorry I didn't do a thread as it started as more of a trial and didn't think it was going to turn out very well.

The materials to build it cost about £60-£70 and I did some research google, there's loads of 'how to' guides on building fibreglass boxes.

It's not that hard just a bit time consuming.

scottm72

« Reply #2616 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
yep like your bulb look, you wouldn't by any chance have a direct link to the exact bulb you are using, I keep clicking on links which are taking me to headlight bulbs and it is only the fogs I want to change
did you use the lamin x site for your covering ?
http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/shop/yellow.htm
as I seen them on e-bay but the e-bay ones are double the price so wasn't sure if they where better quality ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamin-X-Headlight-Foglight-Protection-Film-12-x12-Yellow-Light-Tint-or-Smoke-/160912980210?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25772938f2

thanks again  :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #2617 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:56 pm »
Lamin-X uk have gone out of business due to health problems...or that's what they told me.

I ordered mine from Steve at Funk Motorsport on eBay.

I got the subtle tint for the headlights and foglights.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2618 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »

^^^^ That's a great photo!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

The alloys particularly suit the car.

Good enough for the 2013 forum calendar IMO.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

scottm72

« Reply #2619 on: November 21, 2012, 12:25:09 am »

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #2620 on: November 21, 2012, 07:58:54 am »

^^^^ That's a great photo!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Cheers Robin  :ashamed: Cheered me right up  :pomppomp:

Offline Teo10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2621 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:59 am »
Absoloutely ****ing raging!!!

Went out to bathgate (30 miles away) on Tuesday to drop my car off to get my wings replaced, had to arrange to get insured on my mums car so I could get to work etc for the week and just had a call from them today.

The wings they ordered came and were damaged, so they ordered a second pair... which were damaged!!

I now have to pick my car up today, even though they close at 5 and im meant to be working till half 5, drive all the way out there to book in again probably in 3 weeks time or so just after I will have started my new job and arrange to drop it off and get someone to bring me back etc

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2622 on: November 21, 2012, 09:17:28 am »

Absoloutely ****ing raging!!!

Went out to bathgate (30 miles away) on Tuesday to drop my car off to get my wings replaced, had to arrange to get insured on my mums car so I could get to work etc for the week and just had a call from them today.

The wings they ordered came and were damaged, so they ordered a second pair... which were damaged!!

I now have to pick my car up today, even though they close at 5 and im meant to be working till half 5, drive all the way out there to book in again probably in 3 weeks time or so just after I will have started my new job and arrange to drop it off and get someone to bring me back etc

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

....Hope you feel better after your understandable rant. But it doesn't sound like the dealer's fault but the supplier (probably VW warehouse at Milton Keynes).

You have to look on the bright side: You're getting free new wings.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2623 on: November 21, 2012, 09:58:02 am »
fitted up a complete set of chrome tipped switches from boldsport..well chuffed, ohh and wired in the shutter activation wire to the cecm for my next mod....oem xenons..just need a warmer morning to get cracking

need to try get the footwell lights mod in before xmas along with fitting the front door puddle lights
 :popcornsoda: :popcornsoda:
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #2624 on: November 21, 2012, 10:20:39 am »

^^^^ That's a great photo!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Cheers Robin  :ashamed: Cheered me right up  :pomppomp:

Have you got a link for the stuff on ebay please?  :happy2: