Make a donation

Author Topic: FAO mountain bikers !!  (Read 2711 times)

Offline tommy_a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
FAO mountain bikers !!
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »
Hello all you MTB'ers !!  :grin:

Ive recently gotten into camping and feel the need to get a mountain bike !! ive been to a bike shop near me to get some info and have a couple of test rides.

ive test ridden a Revolution Triad 2.0 @ £599.99 and felt it very comfortable and easy to ride. (today was the first time ive been on a bike in over 10 years !!  :surprised:)

Is this a decent bike for the money ?? and can any of you recomend me a decent mountain bike for around £5-600 ?? i dont need a full on full suspension downhill bike, just need something to mooch around the countryside on !! :D

cheers guys !!  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:30:17 pm by tommy_a »
R32

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: FAO mountain bikers !!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:14 pm »
I have just got back into riding my bike again in fact just got in from a ride and I am enjoying it loads. Try Evans cycles or look for a decathlon store as they both do good bikes

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »
Check out Cube. German built and very well thought of. As soon as I have a spare few quid im having one!  :happy2:

http://www.cultracing.com/categories/Bikes/Mountain-Bikes/?price_min=0&price_max=1199&sort=featured

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:13 pm »
Specialized Hardrock, Boardman Hardtail comp, Scott Aspect. But to be honest, as long as you don't go finding a Fleabay special, you'll be fine. Make sure there's a good frame, the running gear can be upgraded as & when it wears out.

If you aren't choosy about the latest colours & kit, buy a 2010 model & save more money. For a good unbiased price point breakdown, go forth to thy newsagent & purchase What Mountain Bike magazine. There's a great buyers guide section at the back.

Reserve some of your budget for helmet, Camelbak, gloves, shorts (padded cycling shorts are a must).

I recommend finding your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and go ask questions. The support from a good LBS beats the hell out of internet bargains. Plus they should advise you on sizing the frame, adjusting the riding position & so on.

Finally check (if applicable) in case your employer runs the Cycle To Work scheme; it's a great way to get a bike for little outlay.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Creatz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
  • The Noob
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:10 pm »
have a look on www.evanscycles.co.uk

i would buy Scott Scales all day long mate, well built good quality frame and bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/scale-80-2011-mountain-bike-ec025365?query=scott%20scale

well worth the money

Offline tommy_a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »
hia guys, cheers for all the info !! had a good look around and got even more confused about what to buy !!

i went to my local Evans cycle shop and had a look around and spotted a Commencal Premier Pro. I didnt look at the price at first i just liked the way it looked !!:whistle:

when i looked at the it was up for £699, which was about £100 over what i really wanted to pay, but i then noticed it had been reduced from £849.99. now im not too sure if this is the best bike i could have got for the money but the fact it was reduced and looked great sealed the deal !!

ive been out and about on it all afternoon and im knackered !! went through the local woods around an old dirt bike route which was awesome !! my legs are ruined now but it was worth it !! :D:D

let me know what you think !!

R32

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »
looks like a good bike for the £££ do the shocks have adjustable damping on em at all ?

Offline tommy_a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
i dont think they are adjustable, but they do have a lock on them to keep them stiff when on the road !!  :smiley:
R32

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:53:43 pm »
looks like a good bike for the £££ do the shocks have adjustable damping on em at all ?

Yes, the forks are Rock Shox Tora, and perform very well for this price point. They are adjustable for rebound, as well as lock out.

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/category/105

Now get out, ride & enjoy. Upgrade stuff when it wears out, otherwise just enjoy.

Cracking hardtail.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
I've got a Cube XMS. Was speaking to the shop assistant and he said they're really good value for money. The equivalent components on other makes cost more apparently. Not looked into it too much but you should be looking for a decent hardtail for that kind of money.

Defo recommend Cube though.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:01:47 pm »
thanks for that guide fella spot on   :drinking:

Offline tommy_a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »
see i dont even know what this bike can do !!  :laugh:

i think i need to get bigger pedals as the ones on it at the moment are a little too narrow for my big feet and they keep slipping off !! but like you say, i can just upgrade as and when !!

so have i made a good purchase then ??  :smiley:
R32

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »
my bikes a bit crap but had it years and not hardly used it  :grin: but now i am on it atleast 3 times a week at the mo and loving it. Best thing is got my son his first bike a few months ago and have been using a Trail Gator to pull him and god its hard work  :signLOL: