Make a donation

Author Topic: home cinema speaker cable  (Read 2591 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
home cinema speaker cable
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:44:03 pm »
Can anyone recommend any and where to buy? The cable on my wharfedale 5.1 is awful and a fault has developed on pretty much every cable apart from the subwoofer - doh

ta
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: home cinema speaker cable
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:55 pm »
Prices and quality can vary.........alot

I used QED silver anniversary XT when I did my install. I paid £7pm but you can pick it up cheaper now £4-5pm.

TBH if your using an 'out the box' 5.1 system 79 strand speaker cable will be more than adequate IMO and can be picked up from any electrical wholesalers :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:30:47 am by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:05:57 am »
Prices and quality can vary.........alot

I used QED silver anniversary XT when I did my install. I paid £7pm but you can pick it up cheaper now £4-5pm.

TBH if your using an 'out the box' 5.1 system 79 strand speaker cable will be more than adequate IMO and can be picked up from any electrical wholesalers :happy2:

Cheers apollo, will check it out

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:30 am »
Can anyone recommend any and where to buy? The cable on my wharfedale 5.1 is awful and a fault has developed on pretty much every cable apart from the subwoofer - doh

ta

chord company leyline speaker cable, its the bees knees, drop me a pm if you're after some ill do you a deal.

psw mk5

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:33 pm »
Chord signature for my monitor audio GR60's fronts.    You get what you pay for..... BIG TIME  :P

h4rdy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
If they are satellites then use QED Silver Micro more than ample for 5 small speakers.

If normal size that would still be ok and nice and discreet but maybe an upgrade to Silver Anniversary XT.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »
I have noticed a difference with cables on HiFi but never on my surround sound system - and I tried quite a few from cheap to silly money... all sounded the same. 

My amp is a decent £1500 one so I figured cable would make a difference like the Hifi ... but no.  I have QED £5/m stuff ... as it sounded as good as the £25/m, etc ! 

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
Same as Apollo 9Sorry not sure his actual name) but I only use QED cables, yes they cost a fair bit more then your ebay special but to someone like me who is into gadgetry then I can see, hear and feel a difference and worth every extra penny ;)
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:39 pm »
TBH guys (no offence to the OP) as I said if its an Wharfdale 'out the box' system then there is no real point spending good money on expensive speaker cable.

The cable isn't going to make any difference with the sound IMO, although it will cure the faults.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:42:50 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:39:44 pm »
TBH guys (no offence to the OP) as I said if its an Wharfdale 'out the box' system then there is no real point spending good money on expensive speaker cable.

The cable isn't going to make any difference with the sound IMO, although it will cure the faults.

yup this is true, the system was bought in argos 5 years ago! no point me investing in a better system as not into it that much just want it to work well!

psw mk5

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:20:53 am »
 When you can .... Buy a better system for me separates is the way to go then take your time and buy interconnects and cables  and power cables ........ It's a slippery slope bit like this forum..... BUT the rewards are superb!!!! Your system is like a chain and it's only as good as your weakest link--- so for me it's cables all the way ... That's why I'm skint  :grin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:24:38 am »

I rate Monster cable.  Find it expensive but stopped hissing on my blueray surround and works great on my separates.

psw mk5

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 10:55:10 am »
Chord company signature interconnects and speaker cables and russ Andrews power cables and I'm well chuffed with my system but I don't think my neighbour is.......  :P