Make a donation

Author Topic: How To: Remove Upper Grille?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
How To: Remove Upper Grille?
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »
Ok guys going to attempted to wrap my reg surround this weekend to get rid of the dreaded holes! Anyway thought it might be easier if I remove the actual upper grille bit with the red lip and GTi/VW badges on?

Is this possible or even needed?

Thanks!
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: How To: Remove Upper Grille?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »
You can take the whole upper section out in order to enable you to wrap around the edges.
There are 2 screws on the  underneath of the grille that you need to unscrew, then 2 screws on the top at each side, and 2 clips as well, once all of those are off  then the grille will come off.
If you do wrap it, then it is worth filling in the numberplate holes first as otherwise they show up through the wrap.

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:54 pm »
This removes the grille with the VW logo on correct? I manged to remove the grille in question and the number plate surround just not the actually honeycomb bit.

I'm just playing around for now so was going to just stick a penny or something behind the holes and fill them with black tack - I;f im happy with the end result and don't get pulled then I will go ahead and order a US spec grille :D

Cheers BA!
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:29:27 pm »
You cannot remove just the honeycombe part, But you can take out the red strip to allow you to push the vinyl over the joints, and then put the strip back on.
I also would not condone driving without a numberplate on the front fella, safer to put it on magnets on the front and then just remove it for shows or photoshoots as I have done.