Make a donation

Author Topic: Declare those mods, however small.  (Read 6388 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Declare those mods, however small.
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:36:47 am »
Have a read, and besides people getting the hump about badges, read the posts of the chap who fitted a TTRS grill to his TTC, fitting required some modification to the crash bar etc. 

Post a claim, his insurance Co are refusing to pay out.  Some of the post to get the jist.

Posted by msnttf10.

Behind the grill is a plastic "strip/bar" that sits in front of some foam like padding.
To get the grill on you have to cut this out. its basically where the number plate is - dead center of the bumper.

Because I've altered this, they are claiming the structure of the bumper has been changed and this has resulted in greater damaged to the car during the frontal impact as the bumper has not done its job.
If i stand back and try to be objective, i can see what they mean (but given im not an engineer and without having two cars side by side for a crash test, i can't really argue either way). We've been at dead lock now for weeks. But given they've withdrawn my cover I'm really screwed. If i pay for the repairs myself, I've still got the problem of declaring I've had cover withdrawn for not declaring everything previously. Only about 2 companies are now even quoting me, and its gone up from £400, to £1800 as a result. I'm going to have to get the car repaired so i can sell and get some money out of it and then im going back into the company car scheme. Question is can i get them to at least get either my cover back, or a contribution to the costs if not the full 100%. That's the part that winds me up the most, i've paid for cover, they've withdrawn it, but dont see fit to return the money i paid for it- they simply point to the T&Cs and i have to forfeit the premium.

Like i said, upon reflection i would have gone with a black styling one had i considered it a little more and tbh, you cant really tell the dfference from 3Meters away. Big lesson learned for me.

http://tt-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=222277

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Declare those mods, however small.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:38:14 am »
Sounds very nasty.

Do we know who the insurer was?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:40:59 am by vRStu »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:25:07 am »
Yikes!! Nasteeee!

You're so right, QD - Declare absolutely everything. I've just realised that I haven't declared removal of my front number plate holder (I didn't replace it after it fell off in Wolverhampton). A call to Greenlight is in order. They have an A4 list of my mods attached to my policy.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:35:43 am »
Does changing wheels from Monza's to pescaras count as a mod?

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:35 am »
Agreed.

It would be nice to know who the Insurance Company is.

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:37:20 am »

Yes.

In my opinion everything needs to be declared, don't give them a reason to back out of a claim.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:38:51 am by Cupra R »

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:46:39 am »

Yes.

In my opinion everything needs to be declared, don't give them a reason to back out of a claim.

Yeap fair point! :happy2:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:52 am »
For all those edition owners that have put an Edition 30 badge under the GTI badge, this will have some effect in a frontal impact so make sure you declare... lol

It is crazy but declare everything!

Saying that would declare change of tyres from OEM spec? would you declare LED number light bulbs? Would you declare de-badging?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:45 am »
Everything (with the exception of a remap) I've done has never cost me a single penny to declare. You'd be an idiot not to, it takes 2 minutes to fire an email off listing everything.

It's like having a kick me sign on your back, and then complaining when you get booted in the ass.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:44:39 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:31:52 pm »
The problem comes when you buy a car down the line and your unaware of some 'mods' - does seem a little OTT having to declare everything like number plate holders but I fully see why, just a shame its like this now

I have some bird poo on one of the side windows

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:09:02 pm »
The problem comes when you buy a car down the line and your unaware of some 'mods'

Yeah, I think there was a story recently where a girl had a claim refused because the panel filter wasn't standard. That's just ridiculous - I'd never think to question something like that, and I'm sure 99.9% off people would be the same.

I've got a black front badge - best call and let them know!

DelB

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »
Hmmmm - this thread has really got me thinking.

Am due to have my front disks and pads replaced next week and have decided to go for EBC disks and Red Stuff pads, rather than OEM items. Presumably I should make my insurance provider aware of this change, yes??   :confused:

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:45 pm »
sh*t I didn't declare a thing as I was scared it would send my policy sky high!! What sort of extra money have been added to peoples prices?
Ed30

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:31:35 pm »
You need to view your insurance in the right way.

Some people seem to think they're all a bunch of b******s who you're forced to give your money to, and any means of cheating, lying and chancing your arm to get a few quid off your premium is fair game. This will ultimately bite you hard.

I'm a customer buying a service, I speak to my broker Greenlight like an adult and discuss things with them. If we both understand what is expected of each other, there's no surprises.

I have never had my premium increased for anything I've added/changed, except power... and even that was only about £50.

Another thing to remember. Anything you write on a forum is evidence, so all your build threads/sigs/posts about X, Y & Z are all there for insurance companies and the Police to see. If they can find any way not to pay you, they'll look for it...
Sideways yo!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »
I've heard about insurance companies doing this, giving forum discount in a way of finding out what you have !

I heard some terrible stories about silly things stopping insurance paying out but these do really sound like lame excuses, problem is you dont find out until your at the wrong end of the line how picky they can be.

now did I tell them I had heated seats ... i told them winter pack but I didnt specifically say the seats were heated   :P

Sometimes they wont increase your premium just sting you for a 'admin' fee to update the policy @ £20 - £40 a throw.