Make a donation

Author Topic: Lean Fuel Issues after 4k rpm on Revo Stage 2+ Ed30  (Read 88755 times)

Offline Revo Kev

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Lean Fuel Issues after 4k rpm on Revo Stage 2+ Ed30
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:05 am »
Nadeem,

I'm glad you've finally got your car back, working correctly. Just to answer some of your points;

We have Edition 30's running Stage2+ software in numerous regions around the world that have been for a long, long time now. This software was tested prior to release on numerous different cars, I believe at the time you had it on your car there was only Jonny running it in the UK market.

I have a copy of JKM's report on your car. The long and short of this is your car has at some point had an incorrect sensor fitted to it, this is the cause of the problems. Stage2+ software utilises the potential from installing a high pressure fuel pump, up until the point you had Stage2+ installed the problem could have gone unnoticed as the car wouldn't have been running at as higher fuel pressure.

We have always known there is no issue with our software on the car. Since your problems appeared we have been in communication with JKM giving them any further information we could to help solve the issue. We've gone out of our way to help them rule out components/software by way of assessing maps we already knew to be 100% fine, going through both their and NMS logfiles to confirm the correct files have been used, and offering any ideas we had to them. At no point have we

We build our software to suit a certain specification, your car had been altered (by whom we don't know) from this and that was the cause of the problems. If we had made a mistake it would have been evident on every single Stage2+ car that runs our software. This isn't the case and so you're aware fuel pressure has been checked on more than just your car. As per the report your car (for some reason) had an incorrect sensor on it.

We are a software development company, not a diagnostic service. To be expected to diagnose an issue that's not related to our software without even seeing the car is completely un-reasonable. We can only do so much by offering advice and ideas to our dealers and customers in a scenario like this when there is an issue with a component on the car.

I've spoken with trade parts and they do list the incorrect sensor for the ED30. Now your problem has been diagnosed I would advise having your stage2+ re-installed which will allow you to get out there and enjoy the full potential of your car!

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:58 am »
For those who are interested heres a link for the JKM report: -

Click Here to Open in a new Window

[pdf]http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/downloads/illyun2.pdf[/pdf]

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
Nadeem,

I'm glad you've finally got your car back, working correctly. Just to answer some of your points;

We have Edition 30's running Stage2+ software in numerous regions around the world that have been for a long, long time now. This software was tested prior to release on numerous different cars, I believe at the time you had it on your car there was only Jonny running it in the UK market.

I have a copy of JKM's report on your car. The long and short of this is your car has at some point had an incorrect sensor fitted to it, this is the cause of the problems. Stage2+ software utilises the potential from installing a high pressure fuel pump, up until the point you had Stage2+ installed the problem could have gone unnoticed as the car wouldn't have been running at as higher fuel pressure.

We have always known there is no issue with our software on the car. Since your problems appeared we have been in communication with JKM giving them any further information we could to help solve the issue. We've gone out of our way to help them rule out components/software by way of assessing maps we already knew to be 100% fine, going through both their and NMS logfiles to confirm the correct files have been used, and offering any ideas we had to them. At no point have we

We build our software to suit a certain specification, your car had been altered (by whom we don't know) from this and that was the cause of the problems. If we had made a mistake it would have been evident on every single Stage2+ car that runs our software. This isn't the case and so you're aware fuel pressure has been checked on more than just your car. As per the report your car (for some reason) had an incorrect sensor on it.

We are a software development company, not a diagnostic service. To be expected to diagnose an issue that's not related to our software without even seeing the car is completely un-reasonable. We can only do so much by offering advice and ideas to our dealers and customers in a scenario like this when there is an issue with a component on the car.

I've spoken with trade parts and they do list the incorrect sensor for the ED30. Now your problem has been diagnosed I would advise having your stage2+ re-installed which will allow you to get out there and enjoy the full potential of your car!

Hi Kev,
Thanks for your post... I don't want to repeat what I have written and thanks for your advice ( or is that an offer to come to Daventry?) about having Stage 2+ reinstalled, but I am going to wait for VW to report back on their findings regarding the fuel pressure sensor to be 100% sure as I don't want a repeat experience... and Keith/JKM might close their doors on the sight of my car approaching again with the same issue  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  It seems bizarre that a part can be fitted wrong from factory but no doubt it can happen as I have personal experience of incorrect parts listed 'correctly' on ETKA when doing my S3 I/C install.   As for you guys seeing the car, I had to go to JKM first as they are your dealers and I'm sure you don't want anyone with a problem knocking on your door in the first instance!  
Regards,
Nadeem
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:34:23 pm by illyun »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2009, 12:22:34 pm »

Hi Robin... I'm calm (breathes deeply  :grin:).  I hope I don't come across as rude or anything like that, but I simply had to state the facts as I saw them...  I think my post was ok but if there is anything anyone would like to point out then I'll certainly take a look and amend it if required  :happy2:  However, I do know what you mean and the discussion can degenerate into a slanging match which I have no intention in doing.  I've said what i had to and I will leave it at that  :innocent:

....Nothing rude whatsoever, mate - No problems - I was just spontaneously pre-empting the possibility of a degeneration - We're all human and need to vent our spleens occasionally and I wanted to make sure we got to see Keith's outstanding report.

Absolutely stunningly informative and objective report from Keith! I wonder how VW will respond to the information! I hope they don't just dismiss it as 'you modded the car and so it's not our concern'.

Soooo very glad it's now working out for you, Nadeem :happy2: :jumpmove:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #214 on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:42 pm »
A fantastic read! Can I just go on the record and say that it is this type service; people being prepared to spend time and show commitment in supporting their customers by producing reports to this standard/detail that really makes a company. I am sure that Nadeem has thanked Keith and Jim for their support but what you have produced is testimant to the service you provide. It is for this reason that I use JKM and will continue to do so in the future.

I agree. I huge wealth of knowledge has been accumulated over the course of this and because of that I am more than happy to continue using JKM.  :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2009, 12:55:05 pm »
WOW  :jumpmove:
Thanks illyun for sharing the information freely without bias.
Keith/JKM your attention to detail, persistence and attitude shine out as how it should be done  :drinking: , I just wish you were nearer  :grin:

The implications and theoretical widespread nature of this issue are  :surprised:
1. Why has it never been reported or seen before ? given the number of sensors that have probably been replaced on 'odd' cars?
2. I assume this means that ANY car getting a remap has to be assumed to be running a potential problem (if due to be remapped).
Therefore fuel trim adjustment / AFR  has to be checked , and if its way off (-15% trim , x:1 ratio etc) then the sensor part number reviewed?

Most remap companies DONT do a rolling road so would never spot the condition, and i guess if the car isnt driven hard enough it wont show a problem either!
Even VCDS will show ok fuel pressures!

Im assuming the car now never shows the 'above 130 bar spikes' it used to?
Be interesting to see how VW respond.

[MODS : can move this to a discussion thread to keep illyuns original post clutter free ???]

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2009, 01:00:11 pm »

A fantastic read! Can I just go on the record and say that it is this type service; people being prepared to spend time and show commitment in supporting their customers by producing reports to this standard/detail that really makes a company. I am sure that Nadeem has thanked Keith and Jim for their support but what you have produced is testimant to the service you provide. It is for this reason that I use JKM and will continue to do so in the future.

I agree. I huge wealth of knowledge has been accumulated over the course of this and because of that I am more than happy to continue using JKM.  :happy2:

....Ditto! :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »
a very very interesting read. 

Great work by JKM.

:happy2:

Offline Steve Baker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:42 pm »
A fantastic read! Can I just go on the record and say that it is this type service; people being prepared to spend time and show commitment in supporting their customers by producing reports to this standard/detail that really makes a company. I am sure that Nadeem has thanked Keith and Jim for their support but what you have produced is testimant to the service you provide.

:happy2: pleased to see JKM have sorted it, they will be fighting new customers off with a large stick after this outcome  :wink: , ..............wonder how many of us are running round in Ed 30's with an incorrect fuel pressure sensor fitted?  :scared:
Steve Baker

Offline four!

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2009, 06:41:54 pm »
Just goes to show every car is different, even if its not supposed to be.

There are many people out there these days who just flash some code on your ecu without any diagnostic or monitoring.

Gone are the days when the tuner would start from scratch adding fuel timing and boost to get the best out of that individual car and its mods with a proper wideband sensor in a proper lambda boss in the exhaust in the proper place (not just a pipe stuffed up the back MOT style. Or using the cars normal lambda probe for afr readings)

And then they would map it on the road as the loads generated by road or track driving are hard to replicate on a set of rollers

Sure a simple re-flash works 98% of the time but when somethings slightly different you get problems like this

JKM seemed really helpfull though and stuck with it, good on them.

Glad to see you are now sorted

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:29 pm »
 :signLOL: @ your new sig Robin - its hilarious...  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2009, 09:46:49 pm »
I have to say that I am quite disappointed at VW because it seems from Tony Danza's post that there is a recall on the fuel pressure sensor and I should have been informed by my local Stealer as I did mention the problem with my Ed30 and discussed it with a Master Tech.  I would have thought that my mentioning of fuel pressure issues and lean AFR values would have stirred something in his head - obviously too much to expect.  

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:16:35 pm by illyun »

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2009, 03:22:25 pm »
I have just got an update from Keith at JKM... 

'I hope that all is well. I have seen your posts on the GTI forum and I thought that the attached VW Technical Service Bulletin may be of interest for you.
I am not sure if this was ever officially released for the UK market – there may be an equivalent that I do not have access to.

Regardless of this, the attached Technical Service Bulletin actually refers to the low pressure sensor, where as the issue with your car is on the High Pressure sensor. I did look into all of these ‘potential’ causes prior to submitting our report to VW.'

VW are still looking at the high pressure sensor issue highlighted by JKM.  Again, I cannot praise JKM enough.. they've got rid of my car (:grin:) but still show an active interest in following up the issue which just shows their professionalism.   :happy2:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:08 pm »
If anyone wants to see the Bulletin, I have passed it onto SteveP who might post it on the forum... alternatively, send me a pm and I can mail it across.  :happy2:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »
me me

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats