Make a donation

Author Topic: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Now replaced with a proper car!  (Read 145490 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Mk2 Fabia vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »
It's hooked up to an IV in the drivers arm.  :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #391 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
no idea, looks to me like after the throttle body isnt it?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2012, 05:50:33 pm »

Err, no! The throttle body is at the rear top side of the engine and isn't even shown on that pic. It looks like it is near the intake to turbo somewhere, but isn't clear. Any more pics?
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:10 pm »

Err, no! The throttle body is at the rear top side of the engine and isn't even shown on that pic. It looks like it is near the intake to turbo somewhere, but isn't clear. Any more pics?

Thats all i have, and obviously i cant physically check since im a fair distance away right now  :grin:

Just had a look at the technical manual, page 20 http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf  It looks like it is injecting post turbo but pre-intercooler.

So air passes from intake > Supercharger > Turbo > Water/meth Injection point > Intercooler > Throttle body.

To be fair if the air exiting the turbo is approx 200oC after the turbo, then there should be no issues with atomisation or absorption lol.  And I presume if were lowering the temps before the intercooler, it will make the intercooler more efficient and less liekly to heat soak.

After all, Injecting after the IC could still mean the intercooler is still struggling with the heat despite the cool IATs post WMI injection point.

Ive emailed APR for some details as it goes against Devils Own recommendations.  However a few google searches shows positive and negative points for this.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:31:25 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #394 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:20 pm »
With the 1.4tsi, the throttle body approach pipe is basically uphill and so injecting there would mean that any atomised water meth would condense and drop back down towards the Intercooler and sit there. I had mine injected directly before the inlet manifold for maximum cooling. There is also another sensor there too, so that takes into account the ECU recognising the cooling effect which is the main thing.
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #395 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »
With the 1.4tsi, the throttle body approach pipe is basically uphill and so injecting there would mean that any atomised water meth would condense and drop back down towards the Intercooler and sit there. I had mine injected directly before the inlet manifold for maximum cooling. There is also another sensor there too, so that takes into account the ECU recognising the cooling effect which is the main thing.

I really cant see an issue of water pooling when you have hot air passing over the top of it at speed, any pooling would be absorbed by the air.  After all evaporation and absorption of and pooled liquid will occur much faster when the air is passing at high velocity

The images above with the blue hoses are vacuum lines.  APR have installed it as per DO instructions post IC

Should never have doubted  :ashamed:  tbh, i still cant really see why pre or posat intercooler will make any difference.  We should inject pre AND post intercooler lol :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:39:04 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2012, 04:14:18 pm »
Ahh, that is about where my initial injection point was :happy2:

We then moved it to just after the throttle body to get a better cooling effect to the G42 temp sender.  This was it also avoided any possible issue with corrosion of the throttle body.:happy2:

We just had to ensure that the non-return valve was as close as possible to the injection point as possible to avoid any suction effect on the injector after the throttle shuts off.
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #397 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »
The ARBs were fitted today.  Originally i only planned for just the rear bar, but Alex had the front/rear kit in stock so rather than than wait for another single rear bar kit to be ordered i thought do the full kit.

Alex is doing a fast road geometry check on the car next.

Should be collecting the car, hopefully complete on friday.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #398 on: November 26, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »

Beasty 25mm rear bar  :driver: :evilgrin:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #399 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00:02 pm »
hopefully comedy body roll is a thing of the past

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Re: Sy's vRS APR/LOBA Hybrid - Pistons have gone tits up
« Reply #400 on: November 30, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »
So i never picked the car up this yesterday.  The Fabia gremlins have jumped up and bit us in the arse again.

Cylinder #1 has lost compression.  This has happened to loads of other Fabias on the older 2010/2011 engines, i just thought i was lucky  :ashamed:

Skoda released revised pistons/rings in September to sort the issue.  But for obvious reasons, warranty work is out the window with my car.  It'll be cheaper to just buy some new pistons and have them fitted.

Have a few options.

1- The older revision pistons are readily available, but obviously this will only wnd up happening again in a another year or so.
2- The revised pistons but are on backorder a couple weeks at best. About £600 incl VAT
3 - Uprated Wossner pistons.  These are on the shelf and can be delivered immediately but they were developed frm the previous outdated pistons, so could potentially suffer the same issue. About £750 incl VAT.

Im torn now.  options 2 or 3 are the only viable choices. 

Well chuffed ive got to pay £400+ for the ARBS/fitting and alignment as well this month :grin:

Then theres the possibility that the cylinder has been scored  :sick:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #401 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »
 :surprised: :scared:

Sorry to hear this Sy.  :sad1:

It was a proper monster last time I was in it with you!

It is a puzzler alright!

If this had happened to the Polo when I had it I think I'd be looking at repairing, returning to stock and getting a Golf R........errrr.......which I did, but without the car going wrong first.

To be honest it was the constant forum oil issues, piston ring issues, overheating issues, dry clutch issues and the trepidation that tuners had in the strength of the engine as a whole that eventually made me bail out when I did. I don't believe you will ever realise you aspirations for this platform without a substantial outlay that would probably be better spent elsewhere.
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #402 on: November 30, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »
completely agree.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #403 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »
Yeah go straight and get an .:R Sy.  :happy2:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #404 on: December 01, 2012, 01:28:56 am »
If the blocks scored, bore it and fit oversized pistons if possible.