Make a donation

Author Topic: When you left school  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
When you left school
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »
did you follow your dream and do the job you always wanted to do or do you wish now you did some thing else!
My choices were to either go in the tranport division in the armed forces  or work with cars.When i had the accident with my eye (had a dart in in when i was 11 years old which hads left me blind in the right eye) it mend i couldn't join the army so choose to work with cars which i love doing just a shame the wages are crap :signLOL:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:21:04 pm by maxitrol »

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: When you left school
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
my dreams of graphic design went pete tong when i got to college and found i wasnt thaaaaat good at being told what to design... and there was some amazing people in my class.
i fell into hairdressing... i spent more time in the students union room pool sharking so they told me they were gonna kick me out.
they guy at end of the road where me parents lived collared me one day as i walked past and asked how college was...... and here i am!
the idea of working with and around beautiful women is a powerful thing when youre 17
 :evilgrin:
not much has changed since lol...... but fcuk me thyre nothing but agg most of the time!! :booty:

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

hugh jass

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »
 Boyhood dream to be a soldier. Joined REME and enjoyed most of my time until I got a bit jealous of my mates getting better pay.
  Left after 6 years,No regrets and would do almost all of it again but with a camera.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »
Small world Rich, I was a hairdresser for 3 years when I left college.
Great to ogle the women, but they were such bitches, they hated me as i wasn't gay :ashamed:

I left school wanting to join the police, wasn't confident enough (and was a bit of a fatty)
Instead did the hairdressing apprenticeship for 3 years, reallised I was a crap hairdresser, then worked for customs for 5 years, got a bit too comfortable sat at a desk making no difference to anyones life so looked around for other jobs.
Then became a PCSO, hated it, so joined the regulars instead, done it for 4 years now, love it.
Can't imagine doing anything else.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 02:45:11 pm »
Joined the army as a REME Electronics technician  at the age of 16 and 2 weeks against the advice of my whole fmily and school teachers.  Did that for 2 years, didn't like it transfered to the royal engineers as an electrician which also involved a demotion in rank but never looked back. Turns out im now ahead of my old peer group anyway and I've just had a degree fully sponsored by the army of which I graduated wednesday just gone.

Do i regret it, no way at all, I've been all over the world, done some awesome crazy stuff.  would i get out now...dificult one tbh, the miss us is threaders with me being away, I can earn around £10k more on civvy street with my qualifications, but i enjoy it.  If thy mess with the pension ill be leaving though
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:00:06 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »
lmao AL!!....small world indeed!
yep  all bitches..ya cant live with em,cant live without them!
but as i,m the boss....dey all ma biatches  :innocent:

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »
i wanted 2 join the army when i left school but they wouldnt accept me as i have adhd and was on ritalin at the time  :sad1: :sad1:

they said i had 2 b off it for 2years before i could join so got an apprenticeship as an auto electrician  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

thought about joining up recently but the country's not worth die'n for anymore in my eyes  :signLOL:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »
This is a great thread, it's nice what people's ambitions are. I'm still in education, last year of uni doing a business degree. Don't know what to do but I want a fookin GTI lol. I want to do something around racing, seems I'm good at it but motorsport is so expensive, not like football where you can just pick up a ball.

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 03:33:24 pm »
I always wanted to be a truck driver growing up lol

Left School at 15 as just didn't enjoy it.

To get away from the crappy area (drugs, rough area etc) that I was living in, I joined the navy at 16 as an Aircraft Mechanic, hated it so transferred to be a Survival Equipment maintainer then went down the Combat Survival Instructor route & been doing that ever since  :laugh:

Only 7 years to go and I'm time done (24yrs) w00h00 lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:03:36 pm by MJR »
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 03:41:52 pm »
Great to ogle the women, but they were such bitches, they hated me as i wasn't gay :ashamed:

Totally genuinely didn't believe you when you told me this  :laugh:

I did the non uni route:
GCSEs > A Levels > F/T work. I'm only 24 but have been in IT for 6 and a half years now.

Not what I said I wanted to do as a toddler  :grin: but where my few skills have lead me to I suppose.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline sam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Calibre Connections LLP
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 04:06:06 pm »
Throughout my life in school I always fancied being a Paramedic however decided IT was the career for me.

Left school at the age of 16 and setup my IT company still going strong to this very day only 24 nearly 25 so still time to change my mind and sell up todo something different.:happy2:

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »
Spent my whole school life wanting to be a pilot in the RAF but soon realised I didnt have the intelligence for it :laugh: So set my mind on becoming a weapon system operator. Got the grades needed, scored the highest grade in the apptitude test past fitness etc to be told due to a inner ear problem I was unsuitable to the role :sad1:

During the recruitment process I was studying motor mechanics in college so I then went into an appreticeship at a local dealer and worked my way up to become a salesman all the time wanting to go into the forces so I applied for the Army air corps which again went well until i was informed due to my inner ear problem I was unsuitable. So I then thought oh well its not meant to be and stuck with selling cars for a few years, then got fed up of tyre kickers, people trying to catch you out every 5 mins and generally being treated like cr8p so switched to commercial banking which is what im currently doing and I absolutely loathe. I intend on having a complete change of career path soon but I first need to work out what route I want to go down :confused:

So an answer to the Op's question

Did I follow my dream? Well I tried but it wasnt meant to be.
Do I now wish I done something else? Yes I wish I went down the aircraft technician route when I had the chance.

Ben

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 06:17:31 pm »
Never knew what i wanted to do when at school, collage, polytechnic, university and decades later i still don't.  :confused:
Do i wish i had done something else? Yes as the wages for the career path i ended up going down are really low nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:31:27 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:31:45 pm »
I wanted to be a fighter pilot until I hit my teens, at which point re-runs of Airwolf meant I wanted to be a helicopter pilot. Then realised I wasn't too great with heights. Wasn't sure what else to do. Some of my mates went into computing and were working in a bank when I had barely reached halfway through my degree. When I bought my first car, a 1999 fiesta, my mates were out in the latest beemers and mercs. Even now, I'm struggling to build up a deposit and yet my mates have been in their houses, settled down and have had kids by now. So from a financial POV, I wish I'd gone down a different route but as it stands, I'm happy with what I do.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 07:26:21 pm »
Architect, ended up in IT project managing sh*t network, systems and customer network upgrades..... :sad1:

still its a good earner and have a great work life balance most of the time, but.....the yacht and the porker are not going to happen unless I take some serious action.